Best and Worst U.S. Cities | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best and Worst U.S. Cities

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
After that, lace up your New Balances and head to Hollywood Beach.
I had to look that up.

Never was much of a beach person, but if I were to retire to one, it would be San Sebastian.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Uh oh. I’m in my 50s. It might be time to reevaluate my priorities. :)
Have gratitude for a good liver.

For me it's more of, "I can't top my last visit" type of thing. I swear one night at the Delano I walked into Eyes Wide Shut. And a few hours in the Tulane Medical Center is a bit sobering ;)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Uh oh. I’m in my 50s. It might be time to reevaluate my priorities. :)
I'm in my 50s, still love New Orleans. I can get booze anywhere, it's really no different. The only difference it's the one place on earth where they treat me like an adult. When a jazz band finishes at d.b.a. on Frenchman, I pour my beer in a cup and walk across the street to the Spotted Cat or Apple Barrel Bar and carry it in. As should be allowed everywhere.

If I have lunch at the Avenue Pub and I'm not done with my outstanding craft beer, I don't have to chug it or leave it, I can take it with me. I did have a bit too much there one night drinking a big stout on the balcony.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I pour my beer in a cup and walk across the street to the Spotted Cat or Apple Barrel Bar and carry it in. As should be allowed everywhere.
Should it really? Having owned a coffeeshop, if someone brought a cup of coffee into our store, they were asked to toss it or leave. Where's the revenue in having people imbibe someone else's product in your establishment?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Should it really? Having owned a coffeeshop, if someone brought a cup of coffee into our store, they were asked to toss it or leave. Where's the revenue in having people imbibe someone else's product in your establishment?
It wouldn't work for coffee. In the case of New Orleans, the revenue comes from 4-5X as many people being there for the experience day after day than would be there without it. The people running the establishments know, and they get it. It's a big part of the appeal in the city. It's only 1/2 a beer or so.

Small example, but my sister lives in Aiken, SC. All the restaurant/bar owners along a particular side/alley (brick) agreed to do the same. They all have tables outside, they split the cost of live music and all agreed that anybody at any of the tables can drink from any of the locations. Business increased dramatically for all of them. If you and I are there getting dinner, and you want wine, but I want beer from the place across the way, now that works. I've seen the exact same thing in a huge square in Tours, France.

That latter example is more an example of what I think should become common. Most cities won't do what New Orleans does.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Watch this and tell me you don't love NYC:

I don't. I can't stand being there. But I have nothing against it as a place for other people. I get why some love it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Ha...New Balance, what's next Skechers???
You gonna argue with Howie Long?

I find Skechers are pretty useful and comfortable for a number of applications. Now, velcro sneakers...

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Ha...New Balance, what's next Skechers???
New Balance makes top tier running shoes. You knocking them for one pair white leather 608’s. Nike Air Monachs are virtually identical.

Meanwhile Gen Z has discovered both along with Adidas Superstars and Stan Smith and Nike Air Force 1 (which my daughter wears) and they are all the rage. The white leather sneaker is the latest in fashion.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
New Balance makes top tier running shoes. You knocking them for one pair white leather 608’s. Nike Air Monachs are virtually identical.

Meanwhile Gen Z has discovered both along with Adidas Superstars and Stan Smith and Nike Air Force 1 (which my daughter wears) and they are all the rage. The white leather sneaker is the latest in fashion.

In Europe, the white Lacoste tennis shoes are everywhere.

Reaction Score
You gonna argue with Howie Long?

I find Skechers are pretty useful and comfortable for a number of applications. Now, velcro sneakers...
I am amazed at the amount and caliber of the celebrities that endorse Skechers these days, even Snoop!

Reaction Score

I laughed at this as my kids left for school this morning, one wearing a pair of white AF1s and the other a pair of classic white stan smiths with the green heel. I've been wearing stan smiths - with the occasional pair of rod lavers mixed in - since i saw my dad wearing them 30 years ago and we're finally crossing over.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I laughed at this as my kids left for school this morning, one wearing a pair of white AF1s and the other a pair of classic white stan smiths with the green heel. I've been wearing stan smiths - with the occasional pair of rod lavers mixed in - since i saw my dad wearing them 30 years ago and we're finally crossing over.
I wasn't making it up! My daughter has a 25 minute walk to campus so we suggested we get some actual quality running shoes rather than the Chuck Taylor's and AF1s she wears. She ended up with the fashion/lifestyle New Balance shoes that are evidently also popular and look like they are straight out of 1982. Celebs are evidently wearing NBs all the time now.

No idea if this is Stranger Things inspired or just kids wanting to be different than their parents. But these kids are also loving The Cure and a host of other bands from before their time. They seem to really be embracing the 80s in particular.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom