Best and Worst Sportscasters over the years | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best and Worst Sportscasters over the years

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For college basketball games, is there a better, funnier and more informative team than Sean McDonough, Jay Bilas and Bill Raftery? (I didn't realize McDonough did Red Sox games). These 3 guys are hilarious. I watch games I don't care much about just to listen to them. Their call of the UConn-Syracuse 6-overtime thriller a few years ago was one for the ages.

Did you know that game has its own web site?

SixOvertimes.com

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Cousy & Heinson are the worst... they think they are in uniform or atleast coaching on the sideline.

Gorman is cool

You are right about Mike Gorman. I'm surprised he hasn't received more support on this board considering the positive effect he's had on the UConn WBB program. Maybe it doesn't seem like a big thing now but at the time he was a rarity, an NBA broadcaster doing college WBB games. Having such a pro at the mic added to the UConn program's big-time feel. More than that, he played it straight and called the games the same way he did the NBA. He was calling basketball - not "girls basketball". He didn't add all the hype you get now, he let the game speak for itself without the forced cheerleading I can't stand. He didn't big-time the color person, his lack of ego allowed Meghan Pattyson to become to top-notch color person she is.

But I disagree with you on Heinsohn, yeah he's a homer, but he still knows the game and comes up with good insight all the time.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
But I disagree with you on Heinsohn, yeah he's a homer, but he still knows the game and comes up with good insight all the time.

welp atleast we're in the same room... maybe its Cousy that makes (made) him sound bad

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jay Bilas is cool
I like him too. Jay is an articulate, knowledgeable former athlete who is objective. Especially for a Duke Law School grad. :) (Is Cam on the board today?)

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Most annoying analyst: Tim McCarver. (That cbb idiot is in a class of his own.)

Football. Best play-by-play: Al Michaels. Best analyst: Phil Simms.

Best basketball play-by-play: Marv Albert. Best analyst: Kara Lawson.

Going back a few years, Red Barber was a special baseball announcer and I miss the uniqueness of Johnny Most (Celtics) and Dizzy Dean (weekly baseball on BW TV, sharing the mike with PeeWee Reese).

As a native Pittsburgher, I recall the characters who did baseball (Rosey Rosewell and Bob Prince) and "Stiller" football (Myron Cope, creator of the Terrible Towel).
I love Kara, but I think the absolute best analyst is Bob Knight. He may be a grumpy old man sometimes but the guy can break down basketball.

Reaction Score
here's one probably no one has heard of. cawood ledford, who did the kentucky basketball games on the radio for 39 years. back in the 70s when chuck aleksinas left the northwest corner of ct to play at kentucky, it was actually possible to pick up the kentucky games on the radio. and like so many of the great radio announcers , ledford gave you such a clear picture of what was going on on the court. and with that backwoods kentucky twang. i can still hear him after all of these years. these days i really like the tennis analysis of john mcenroe .

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
here's one probably no one has heard of. cawood ledford, who did the kentucky basketball games on the radio for 39 years. back in the 70s when chuck aleksinas left the northwest corner of ct to play at kentucky, it was actually possible to pick up the kentucky games on the radio. and like so many of the great radio announcers , ledford gave you such a clear picture of what was going on on the court. and with that backwoods kentucky twang. i can still hear him after all of these years. these days i really like the tennis analysis of john mcenroe .

Great choice. The last Kentucky game Ledford announced was its OT loss to Duke when Christian Laettner hit the buzzer-beater. It was the '92 Eastern Regional final at the old Spectrum in Philadelphia. One of the greatest games ever. One of the first things Coach K did after the game was to congratulate Ledford on his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom