Best 1-2 (and 3) Guard Punch | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best 1-2 (and 3) Guard Punch

Reaction Score
more to the game than just shooting, can they defend? That has yet to be shown to me on a consistent basis.
And as for the poster who mentioned Citron and Miles, that game was in December. I was able to catch a couple of ND games in Acc play, they were much much better down the stretch. They dominated Nc st 90% of the game and blew the game on a Mabry turnover.
If they had really dominated 90% of the game, one turnover shouldn't have mattered.

Reaction Score
Nothing new here. An abundance of talent. The unanswered question remains …can we win the battles under the hoop against the top teams? If we are done bringing in players from the Portal, the 2 incoming freshmen will have the answer.
I agree. We have the talent. Now it's just a matter of seeing what they can do, or what they are willing to do. With AE, Ice, and Ayanna, we are as physically strong at the 4 as any team we meet, though not necessarily as skilled, yet. And with that much strength there, the pressure on Dorka and Amari at the 5 to muscle the opposition off the glass is likely to be much reduced. We can fuss over which group is really the 4 or the 5. But I'd really like to see if Ice and Ayanna can relieve the foul pressure on AE, however we designate them. Even if they only average 15 mins/game between them, AE will not have to fear the whistle so much, which was occasionally an issue in important games last year.

Reaction Score
I agree. We have the talent. Now it's just a matter of seeing what they can do, or what they are willing to do. With AE, Ice, and Ayanna, we are as physically strong at the 4 as any team we meet, though not necessarily as skilled, yet. And with that much strength there, the pressure on Dorka and Amari at the 5 to muscle the opposition off the glass is likely to be much reduced. We can fuss over which group is really the 4 or the 5. But I'd really like to see if Ice and Ayanna can relieve the foul pressure on AE, however we designate them. Even if they only average 15 mins/game between them, AE will not have to fear the whistle so much, which was occasionally an issue in important games last year.
AE is both a 5 and a 4. Not sure Amari can be a 5 yet other than if a team has a finesse 6'6 - 6'8 center, or in blowouts. But AE has helped UCONN get to FF and title game as the backup to Liv for quite a bit of time playing the 5.

If one of AD, AP or IB can evolve, and especially if Griff can come back, then it just comes down to on that given night between SC, UCONN, Stanford (and one surprise team) - on that given day who makes more plays. Not saying UCONN is even vs SC for example. it's just that UCONN would be better prepared. For example in the title game we all saw Evina have to guard Boston in 1st half. Through the course of the game, ofc UCONN will get crushed off the glass in these circumstances with a wing being forced to guard Boston in part because Liv was hurt and ofc Dorka out.

We know there is a bit of sentiment here to be negative, however regardless of that, just in terms of being the best team UCONN can be, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for either a number 4 or 5 recruit to be able to give backup minutes as a frosh, in which they could be the 5th option on offense, would it?

Reaction Score
AE is both a 5 and a 4. Not sure Amari can be a 5 yet other than if a team has a finesse 6'6 - 6'8 center, or in blowouts. But AE has helped UCONN get to FF and title game as the backup to Liv for quite a bit of time playing the 5.
I totally agree about AE. She played the 5 much of last season. In that position, she’s a small 5 but plenty strong enough. I suspect this is why she occasionally got into foul trouble. As a 4 however, matching up with Saxton or Belibi, she’d have the height advantage and she’s as least as strong as either of them. Of course, our ability to use exclusively at the 4 depends on Amari stepping up to be Dorka’s sub. I realize this seems unlikely to some. But I can dream, can’t I?

Reaction Score
I totally agree about AE. She played the 5 much of last season. In that position, she’s a small 5 but plenty strong enough. I suspect this is why she occasionally got into foul trouble. As a 4 however, matching up with Saxton or Belibi, she’d have the height advantage and she’s as least as strong as either of them. Of course, our ability to use exclusively at the 4 depends on Amari stepping up to be Dorka’s sub. I realize this seems unlikely to some. But I can dream, can’t I?
Both Saxton and Belibi have above 30-inch verticals. They play bigger than their height.

Reaction Score

If one of AD, AP or IB can evolve, and especially if Griff can come back, then it just comes down to on that given night between SC, UCONN, Stanford (and one surprise team) - on that given day who makes more plays. Not saying UCONN is even vs SC for example. it's just that UCONN would be better prepared. For example in the title game we all saw Evina have to guard Boston in 1st half. Through the course of the game, ofc UCONN will get crushed off the glass in these circumstances with a wing being forced to guard Boston in part because Liv was hurt and ofc Dorka out.

We know there is a bit of sentiment here to be negative, however regardless of that, just in terms of being the best team UCONN can be, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for either a number 4 or 5 recruit to be able to give backup minutes as a frosh, in which they could be the 5th option on offense, would it?
don't agree with that all, maybe we should let Geno make the decisions since he is the head coach off course.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I'm confident that there are enough bright folks on the BY who will know what the number of potential combinations that my idea of players at each positions will create for Geno & Chris. Almost used CD but half of the BY would wonder who I was referring to. Also, first name is first at that position, last name last at that position. "Just" me thinking out loud.

Nika, Paige, Azzi.
Paige, Azzi, Lou, Caroline, Aubrey.
Caroline, Azzi, Lou, Aubrey, Ayanna, Aaliyah.
Aaliyah, Dorka, Aubrey, Amari, Caroline, Lou, Ayanna, Isuneh.
Dorka, Aaliyah, Amari, Isuneh, *Piath.

Enjoying the Now. However, I'm looking forward to seeing how the team works this coming season.

Reaction Score
don't agree with that all, maybe we should let Geno make the decisions since he is the head coach off course.
Maybe we can talk about it on here too? This is a site to talk about things, not make decisions, right?

And what didn't you agree with?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nika has great qualities, but cannot put in a equal comparison with Caroline when she has a very limited offensive game. I hope she improves on that in the off season
This assumes that offense is all that matters, and that offense is only about shooting. It also imagines three people engaged in parallel play rather than playing off of, and complementing one another.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
If they had really dominated 90% of the game, one turnover shouldn't have mattered.
True. Fair to say ND outplayed NC State for 3 quarters and led by 7 heading in to the 4th Qtr. ND then proceeded to turn the ball over 7 times in the 4th quarter and were outscored 20-10. Although most remember the Mabrey turnover I thought the two by Westbeld were worse. The team with more big game experience won.

Reaction Score
Maybe we can talk about it on here too? This is a site to talk about things, not make decisions, right?

And what didn't you agree with?
I think it's best to not assume what type of role Amari will have this season on the team, I honestly see Patterson taking a big jump frosh season and overpassing her.

Reaction Score
We can all dream, for me it is to have a rotation with two 5's and two 4's that generally stick to their position. Last year in our three big rotation Liv was the only one that did not have to sacrifice. Aaliyah had the disadvantage of having to be a C much of the time and the same thing with Dorka playing PF more than was ideal. Whoever was in with Liv, Liv played C so she was not as affected.

Both Dorka and Aaliyah should be better with more time at their best position. If Aubrey was healthy last year we could have had a rotation of 4 that worked well, but that was not meant to be. Amari is very important here if we are going to have a backup to Dorka with similar height. She may be as much a 4 as a 5 but has shot blocking potential, and is the closest to meeting the requirements for that position.

We have an abundance of players that are probably best at the 4. That includes Aaliyah, Aubrey, Ice and Ayanna. In addition we could throw in an occasional tall guard like Caroline or Lou in certain situations, and of course Amari might be an option there too. I don't know who will get the bulk of the playing time when Aaliyah is not in, but we have many talented candidates.

At the 5, however, if Amari isn't the backup solution, we still should be good with a very talented 4 playing somewhat out of position, but I hope that won't be necessary.

Reaction Score
UConn returns the best backcourt in the NCAA. Bueckers and Fudd, add in Ducharme create a three-headed snake of sorts and it's not because of their credentials, but this group has what each of the other is missing.

Bueckers: Extremely creative, shotmaker, shot taker, playmaker, jump shooter and their best finisher off the glass.
Fudd: Extremely precise, sharpshooter, biggest perimeter threat and their best three-point and free throw shooter.
Ducharme: Extremely versatile, deceptively quick, both precise and creative, can play inside or out.

They all have the clutch gene. Think of Bueckers in the NC State OT. Azzi draining free throws late in games and Ducharme in the DePaul. In the tightest of moments, they delivered. The front court is something another poster can discuss, I'm an optimist, but the backcourt options are top tier, backed by data, proven and BARRING INJURIES, the best in the upcoming field.
I think you have to include Nikki Muhl in some of those combinations. She gives you incredible defense, is a fine ball handler and distributor, and has the ability to score inside and outside. She may even get better in her junior year. So the four guards, in any combination is great. Throw in the " new Lou' AND we have depth. Something to feel good about. Now for the front court; Dorka ( returning from injury ) ; Griffin ( returning from more serious injury ); DeBerry returning from a sleepy freshman season ) ; Edwards ( returning from a snowball season ....began slow and small, but ended up large and powerful ); and TWO highly regarded freshmen. Plenty of reason to believe this will all come together as the season progresses. Should her an amazing year.

Reaction Score
I think it's best to not assume what type of role Amari will have this season on the team, I honestly see Patterson taking a big jump frosh season and overpassing her.
I think it best that we can all have different opinions on a board such as this and express them. Odd though that you sent this to me. There have been many posts prior to what I've posted on Amari and what she will be/ what she is, haven't there? Just wondering why my post set you to reply to me. Not a big deal though. :)

Prior you said": Let's wait for Geno," to paraphrase. Is it wrong that I express an opinion and not wait for Geno on this type of site?

And I have agreed with you on Patterson. On the prior "Recruiting" Threads I have expressed my optimism toward her game at the 4 and maybe 5 spot.

Reaction Score
We can all dream, for me it is to have a rotation with two 5's and two 4's that generally stick to their position. Last year in our three big rotation Liv was the only one that did not have to sacrifice. Aaliyah had the disadvantage of having to be a C much of the time and the same thing with Dorka playing PF more than was ideal. Whoever was in with Liv, Liv played C so she was not as affected.
I don't like that philosophy. IMO you put the players too much in a box. And I prefer that you play your best players. As long as they are better at playing their 2nd best position vs another playing at their best position, then imo you play your best.

IMO in addition to playing the better player, imo the better players at their 2nd best position that is better than another player at their optimum position, if this were the case that you play the better, then overall the team will succeed at a higher rate because their better players are playing more thus enhancing other teammates level of play.

Reaction Score
I'm confident that there are enough bright folks on the BY who will know what the number of potential combinations that my idea of players at each positions will create for Geno & Chris. Almost used CD but half of the BY would wonder who I was referring to. Also, first name is first at that position, last name last at that position. "Just" me thinking out loud.

Nika, Paige, Azzi.
Paige, Azzi, Lou, Caroline, Aubrey.
Caroline, Azzi, Lou, Aubrey, Ayanna, Aaliyah.
Aaliyah, Dorka, Aubrey, Amari, Caroline, Lou, Ayanna, Isuneh.
Dorka, Aaliyah, Amari, Isuneh, *Piath.

Enjoying the Now. However, I'm looking forward to seeing how the team works this coming season.
*Piath????

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom