"Besides, give me excellence over mediocrity." - A Nice Post By An Ohio Sports Reporter | The Boneyard

"Besides, give me excellence over mediocrity." - A Nice Post By An Ohio Sports Reporter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
upload_2016-12-20_12-13-46.png

The superstar trio is gone, but the Huskies continue to do what they do this season because meeting the highest of standards has long been established at Connecticut.

Keeping up is the challenge for all of women’s basketball, and that will eventually raise the level of play. So Connecticut is good for the sport, not bad.

If you don’t like the Huskies winning so much, get better and defeat them.

Besides, give me excellence over mediocrity.

Full article [HERE]

Reaction Score

The superstar trio is gone, but the Huskies continue to do what they do this season because meeting the highest of standards has long been established at Connecticut.

Keeping up is the challenge for all of women’s basketball, and that will eventually raise the level of play. So Connecticut is good for the sport, not bad.

If you don’t like the Huskies winning so much, get better and defeat them.

Besides, give me excellence over mediocrity.

Full article [HERE]

A nice column. Seeing this guy reference a $7M budget for WBB at UConn, does anyone know how this might match up with other top programs and with ridiculously wealthy schools like LSU, So. Cal, Michigan, Florida, etc???

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Wonderful piece...I used to love listening on the radio too.

Reaction Score
A nice column. Seeing this guy reference a $7M budget for WBB at UConn, does anyone know how this might match up with other top programs and with ridiculously wealthy schools like LSU, So. Cal, Michigan, Florida, etc???
UConn's is high. Could only find one of your examples - LSU at $3.46 million (FY2015). It's difficult to compare schools, as they sometimes have very different accounting / ways to allocate costs. But I never remember seeing any school comparing higher than UConn.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Graham Hayes quotes Pheesa and captures much of what the rest of WCBB has not caught up with.

"We're held to a really high standard," Collier said. "Not just basketball-wise because they understand you're going to make mistakes. They're not asking us to be perfect. But the intensity level that we have to be at and the level of focus that we need is just a lot different than I think at other places, certainly what I've experienced."

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

Although born in CT, and having long since returned to New England, I grew up in Louisville, KY. Listened to many a U of L game, and many a UK game. The author of this piece, Todd Jones, recollects listening to the voice of the Wildcats, Caywood Ledford. He was, indeed, well-worth cuddling up to your transistor, talkin' about the 'Cats a-runnin' and a-gunnin', and Goose Givens slitherin' through the lane like a snake through a swamp!

Reaction Score

Me, too. Used to listen to Nat Albright reading the Brooklyn Dodger tape on the radio down in south Florida and tapping the mic with a pencil to mimic the bat hitting the ball. Made me a Dodger fan until the team left for LA. Of course, TV was not an option at the time. Sunday nights were the best . . .

Reaction Score
The budget is part of what makes UConn great. It helps keep the coaches and eases the way for the players to focus on the games.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Me, too. Used to listen to Nat Albright reading the Brooklyn Dodger tape on the radio down in south Florida and tapping the mic with a pencil to mimic the bat hitting the ball. Made me a Dodger fan until the team left for LA. Of course, TV was not an option at the time. Sunday nights were the best . . .

Yeah, reading ticker-tape; that really brings me back

Reaction Score
UConn's is high. Could only find one of your examples - LSU at $3.46 million (FY2015). It's difficult to compare schools, as they sometimes have very different accounting / ways to allocate costs. But I never remember seeing any school comparing higher than UConn.
I never realized this. Where do we spend it, coach's salaries?

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting - I read this early this morning but not on a device which I could easily use to post it myself.

One of my earliest and fond memories is listening to UConn men's basketball games in bed, radio next to my ear with the volume very low, so that my parents wouldn't know I was breaking curfew.

Reaction Score
Oh...so that's the secret! You're supposed to get better! Watch out UConn, this guy has cracked the code :rolleyes:
Getting a little testy are we? :mad: March will get here soon enough. :cool:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I never realized this. Where do we spend it, coach's salaries?
The admin side is probably 50% with coaches salaries the majority of that. The travel is not done on the cheap - 12 or so road games every year mostly by charter I think with quality hotels and meals. High quality training and medical staff and insurance, and then their portion of the facilities bills, marketing, etc. And then the scholarships themselves - 50k per player and academic advisors and tutors on top of that. As was said above, probably a twenty percent of the budget falls into internal accounting areas that can be fudged a million different ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom