Beside Tate George's, what was the greatest shot in UConn history | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Beside Tate George's, what was the greatest shot in UConn history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I partial to Murray Williams coast to coast lay up at the buzzer to beat Villanova, when he kept dribbling and no one from Nova stopped the ball. Clearly not as much on the line as some of the other games mentioned but I sure got a thrill from it as a kid.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
It's Rip. Losing to winning in a split second, in the NCAA tournament, McDonough-Raftery on the call. It's got everything.

If you make the question complex, and the factors are all taken into account, you could name 10 different shots, but this shot HAS to be it. You said it perfectly too. Well done.

Rashad, Emeka, KEA, Kemba, Bazz, Ray et al all had shots you could argue over. But we lose if Rips doesn't go, bottom line. And that's our first 'chip.

Reaction Score
You could argue that without the shot against Florida this year in December the team wouldn't have had the confidence to finish the job in March.

The reality is when a team has this much success there are endless moments to think back on.

Reaction Score
If you make the question complex, and the factors are all taken into account, you could name 10 different shots, but this shot HAS to be it. You said it perfectly too. Well done.

Rashad, Emeka, KEA, Kemba, Bazz, Ray et al all had shots you could argue over. But we lose if Rips doesn't go, bottom line. And that's our first 'chip.

Rip's shot was in '98, I think we lost to UNC that year.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Rip's shot was in '98, I think we lost to UNC that year.
obv you're right. And I feel dumb, I had a temporary brain cramp.

most of what I said holds true, but I don't even feel as strongly now about that, lol

Reaction Score
Too many to go around, but I would say, Ray's shot versus Georgetown in the Garden was a HUGE shot.

I felt at that point we were now a force in college basketball. We have ascended on a great path since that shot, while the decade of Georgetown's success came to an end (barring any special one or two years since that shot).

ONE FOR THE THUMB

Reaction Score
Even though there was not much at stake.. AJ Price game tying 3 against Gonzaga in battle in Seattle..

Reaction Score
Taliek Brown's ridiculous 3 pointer v. Pitt in 2OT game for Big East Tourney Championship.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
There are so many variables to account for, big moment, tourney vs BE tourney vs reg season, tie?take the lead, etc.Taking everything, if we're not including FTs, I'd say Ray V. G'Town, El-Amin floater, Rashad and Emeka V. Duke, Rip V. UW...

Brimah's is so fresh, and just feels different bc of the actual play, but wow that shot was HUGE, I think we def lose 1st rd of a Chip year if not for that, that's HUGE stakes.

Edit: those aren't in order...and to add, I think it's ironic that Bazz and Kemba and even Lamb to an extent they don't have as many that I consider HUGE but almost bc they hit so many, they just took over games and sealed the deal, it often wasn't a one shot (though that's the irony, they have a million)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The longest 18 seconds of my life. When they get the rebound and find that kid WIDE OPEN.....!!!!

You need a little luck to make a final four and win a national championship. This made me feel like it was our time.

Reaction Score
A shot not mentioned often was the BG floater over Pitt in the 04 BET final. Madison Square Gordon.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score

The longest 18 seconds of my life. When they get the rebound and find that kid WIDE OPEN.....!!!!

You need a little luck to make a final four and win a national championship. This made me feel like it was our time.

Hard to believe how bad Verne is on that call. "Williams ... for the win! No!"
No, Verne, even if it had gone in it wouldn't have been "for the win." There were about 6 seconds left. Terrible.

Reaction Score
Khalid El Amin's game winner (even though 2 seconds were left on the clock) did for me back in '99. It triggered the beginning of our Nat'l Championship run...

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I'll say, I'll never forget where I was for most of these, but man that Ray ridiculous windmill runner then AI and JYD missing, that was my first real moment as a Husky fan in winning time jubilation.

Reaction Score

no luck involved, the guy was a 6ppg scorer trying to hit a game winning 3 to send his team to the FF, that just doesn't happen. Before anyone tries to compare it to Brimah, it's not even close to the same situation.

Reaction Score
no luck involved, the guy was a 6ppg scorer trying to hit a game winning 3 to send his team to the FF, that just doesn't happen. Before anyone tries to compare it to Brimah, it's not even close to the same situation.

Shooting a wide open three makes all the percentages go out the window. Someone was watching over us. Are you saying there wasn't a lump in your throat when the ball was in the air?

Reaction Score
Not including Tate George, I gotta go with Shabazz over Villanova with the 30ft heave game winner. I went from feeling like we got this, followed by wtf?!, and then to screaming profanities filled with joy. Anytime you hit a half court prayer to win a game, that has to be at the top. We all dreamt and practiced that as kids

But for big time games, has to be Kemba over Pitt. If Uconn lost they prob would have been an 8 seed (23-10 record and 6-6 last 12 games) and faced a much tougher path. Highly doubt it they would have made it to the Sweet 16 as a lower seed that year.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Rip's huge 3 late in the '99 Championship game. It just made me feel that UCONN could actually pull it off. That was so sweet!

"The kids said they wanted Duke instead of Michigan State, I gave them the wise head nod," said Calhoun. "But the kids knew better. If they wanted to be the best, they had to beat the best, and tonight, they beat the best team. And tonight, we're the best team. They truly believed this was all possible."

Richard Hamilton, who finished with 27 points, made two free throws with 3:50 to play to put Connecticut ahead for good. He added a clutch 3-pointer 21 seconds later to make it 73-68 and was named Most Outstanding Player of the Final Four, scoring 51 points in the two games.

"You can't describe it, I still don't understand what we accomplished," said Hamilton. "It's happy to put a smile on the coaches' faces."

"I think the Duke fans couldn't believe it, I looked into the section and they were shocked," said Huskies guard Khalid El-Amin. "That felt good to us. I can't take anything away from them, but we played better over the 40 minutes."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ba...boards/1999/03/29/recap.duke.connecticut.html
Much like this year, Calhoun had no doubt that UConn was going to win the title in '99. He told Michael Kay that he had no doubt and based it all on experience. He was right. Most of UConn's key contributors were Juniors and Seniors. Only two of Duke's were (Caraway and Langdon). Plus the ACC was down that year. IIRC only 3 teams made the Dance that year.

Reaction Score
Khalid's shot against Pitt is definitely a big duck* you to Pitt.

Any shot by Kemba Walker.

Bazz against Florida.

Hamilton's against Washington.

In short: Pretty much any shot taken in the final crucial seconds by a UConn player is good for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom