Berube at Rizzotti | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Berube at Rizzotti

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If Holly is an example of a successor maintaining a great program then I have no reply.
Maybe you need to reread what I wrote. Holly is NOT an example.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think this board is hard on Shea due to the lack of success of any of Geno's coaching tree, specifically, Jamelle, Tanya and Jen. The only one the board is "warm on" is Carla due to her success at Tufts. She must continue that success at Princeton where she has been given a strong set of players and strong administrative support. Why some great coaches don't have great coaching trees is a mystery-Belichek is one that doesn't. MM however, does. It could be many factors or just a small sample size. I worry about turning over the "crown jewel" of WCBB to any assistant as I want a proven winner who knows how to recruit, coach and win. This should be job all coaches should be aspiring to. The lone downside is following the "Legend". In the end, Geno will have a much a say as the AD as he has shown his passion for this program, much like Pat Summitt did for Tenn. Geno will not make the same blunder as Pat as none of his former players or assistants are as "dopey" as Holly.
so Shea is similiar to Holly? all the 3 you named (JE Tonya and Jen) all have done nothing major. So Shea should go to Trinity College and coach for a few years that that will prove that she qualify to coach at UConn. Basically she's doing nothing of value sitting next to Geno? geesh who else would want her... slacker. Guess Marissa is more qualified as well

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Not quite a truism. From a collegiate sports perspective, after a legendary coach leaves, there is usually an initial drop in the success of the program. However student athletes will still "flock" to that school due to the tradition and commitment they feel the school will continue to exhibit. Think about Alabama football, Kentucky basketball, Stanford swimming. The schools will continue to support their "flagship" sport. Whether they choose the right successive coach is a different issue. UCLA MCBB is starting to erode that good will/tradition if it does not get the right hire as this current generation doesn't know the UCLA tradition, let alone Wooden or Harrick. This generation does know UCONN and I bet most know Shea Ralph as she is easily recognizable and was a successful player herself. Dare I reference Tenn LV and all the top recruits Holly got from the name alone. Certainly not due to any coaching success-she neither won nor developed players, yet top recruits still flocked to Thomson-Boling Arena to play. UConn will enjoy that same initial success until the coach or the school clearly demonstrates abysmal performance. Some how, I don't see UConn NOT continuing it's support of it's "flagship" program. Humbly submitted DefenseBB. :)
da heck, isnt this what Im saying... I think Jen's, Jamelle and Tonya's coaching record will hurt them. Shea's record hasnt been written and starting it at UConn would be great

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
this Board is hard on Shea.
I'm not sure it's personal. It's just that the big success followed by the longtime assistant rarely works. On the men's side look at all the longtime assistants that were groomed for the job and bombed out. Looie, John Thompson, Pitino at PC, their assistants all failed just to name a few. I think UConn is too big a job for OJT.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'm not sure it's personal. It's just that the big success followed by the longtime assistant rarely works. On the men's side look at all the longtime assistants that were groomed for the job and bombed out. Looie, John Thompson, Pitino at PC, their assistants all failed just to name a few. I think UConn is too big a job for OJT.
We’ll see in the next ten years

Reaction Score
If you went in-house, why would you bypass your other HOF coach? Has she stated she's gone when Geno leaves?

Yes, Chris will retire when Geno retires. Yin and Yang. You can't have one without the other. Everyone, including Geno and the players, know how much CD means to the team. She's already proven how great a coach she is, that's why her name is on the wall.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Yes, Chris will retire when Geno retires. Yin and Yang. You can't have one without the other. Everyone, including Geno and the players, know how much CD means to the team. She's already proven how great a coach she is, that's why her name is on the wall.
...and in the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame....:)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom