Benedict did this right | The Boneyard

Benedict did this right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From my source who was surprised by the firing.

this was run in a very tight group that would not leak anything to the press. Never an agenda item with the BoT. Most on the BoT did not know until 12/24 but they knew Benedict had free reign over this provided he raised the money. Was not coming out of the budget and could not be public funds. He raised the money personally and in a very discreet manner.

Benedict has a clear first choice for a coach. It will take an "incredible sales job" on his part to get him and no one will know who it is until it is announced. He will not allow anyone to turn it down. The name will not be announced until Diaco is officially done so expect 1/2 at the earliest. This will not go beyond that date. The new coach will be here "and working" 1/2.

Take it all fwiw. My guy doesn't go to the car wash. The car wash comes to him.

Reaction Score

this was run in a very tight group that would not leak anything to the press. Never an agenda item with the BoT. Most on the BoT did not know until 12/24 but they knew Benedict had free reign over this provided he raised the money. Was not coming out of the budget and could not be public funds. He raised the money personally and in a very discreet manner.

Benedict has a clear first choice for a coach. It will take an "incredible sales job" on his part to get him and no one will know who it is until it is announced. He will not allow anyone to turn it down. The name will not be announced until Diaco is officially done so expect 1/2 at the earliest. This will not go beyond that date. The new coach will be here "and working" 1/2.

Great info 06029! This all makes great sense with DB as well. He's very much an under-the-radar type of guy who seems to have a real handle on how to do things the right way. I'm glad we have him!

Reaction Score
If true, then definitely not Moorhead who's just a little busy that day.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
If true, then definitely not Moorhead who's just a little busy that day.

Should we take it literal that he is working 1/2? If so...that would eliminate not only Moorhead but Lashlee also.

Having to do a sales job to me sounds like Miles. If true...I hope he has a good OC in mind.

Reaction Score

Really like everything in this post.

DB seems totally legit with a correct and definitive plan of action. Knows how to get things done and done the right way.

I am actually reinvigorated about the football programs and have confidence that AD David Benedict (Athletic Director DB) will get us the guy we need, get him the right way so that we don't look desperate and get turned down, and will get us a coach who can either coach OFFENSE or have an OC on board who is an OFEENSIVE MIND.

Cant wait to see who we have leading the team on 1/2 or shortly thereafter.

These are Exciting Times. I say again, Exciting Times.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Sales job could apply to any decent candidate. Only someone desperate or someone who we wouldn't want wouldn't need some questions answered. I'm sure Disco needed to be sold a bit and that was before the P5 dream died and three extra years of sick away from the Fiesta Bowl.

Recruiting starts up again on Jan 12. Need to have a guy and staff on the ground by then. It's the only date that matters.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Strongest indicator that DB has the gravitas of a good ad is how he was able to align action players and keep a lid on the story.

He didn't have 20 years of trust but up to rely upon keeping the story quiet. He had to build trust on the fly based on his vision and detailed plan.

Reaction Score
Not sure what working1/2 really means. I should have gotten clarification. I think he meant that there will be no time between coaches and that the new coach will be known 1/2. Coaches in bowls 1/2 should not be ruled out, in my opinion.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Benedict said yesterday the staff needs to be running 1/12. I think he knows who he, Goetz and Vic C want. UCONN is paying a lot of money for the 3 of them and I am glad they have the leeway to make this decision. As DB said, we need a program builder.

Reaction Score
Not sure what working1/2 really means. I should have gotten clarification. I think he meant that there will be no time between coaches and that the new coach will be known 1/2. Coaches in bowls 1/2 should not be ruled out, in my opinion.
Agree. What I think the info meant is that BD will be formally no longer employed on 1/2 and a coach will be introduced on 1/3. As long as Diaco is still employed they cannot formally announce or introduce a coach or it will introduce a lot of legal ramifications related to the buyout, or whatever was negotiated. Of course no coach will be here and actually "working' so to speak on 1/2 since Diaco will still be employed until that day.

Reaction Score
The other side of the Moorhead story ... may be that Joe was contacted with a feeler by an intermediary. Told that we were on the push for someone and he was being considered. But ... given our timeframe and another guy out in front, Moorhead avoided the speculation and damaging his Brand as HC. He pre-empted the calls for him.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
As a die-hard LSU fan (much more than UConn), I am giddy at this post. It sounds like Miles.......;)

Reaction Score
One name that hasn't been floated much but really fits with the above... Mark Helfrich. Benedict worked with him while at ASU

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Agree with all that has been said here. DB has done an excellent job so far.

Now I ask the question - tweets are floating around, including NBC's Kevin Nathan, that Randy Edsell is coming back as hc. What are your thoughts?

Mine- Edsell did a very good job while here. Met him a couple of times at a women's bb game. Very personable and seemed geniune. Did not like the way he left in the least. Thought it showed no class and disrespect to the team and the university. I also know he and good old Jeff Hathaway locked horns for a long while and Hathaway was the main reason Edsell left.

Reaction Score
hiring RE back doesn't seem like some great move especially after saying you want to emphasize offense.

Maybe the donors had a good rapport with RE and they maintained a relationship with him and brokered this whole thing.

Obviously it might have been status quo if they didn't do this

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
hiring RE back doesn't seem like some great move especially after saying you want to emphasize offense.

Maybe the donors had a good rapport with RE and they maintained a relationship with him and brokered this whole thing.

From the sounds of the initial post, if it was RE, there would not only have been no reason to publicly leak that RE was interested, there also likely would have been a gag order. If the OP is correct, it looks like RE had someone (his agent) contact the school, wasn't happy with the response and decided to use social media to push his name.

Reaction Score

Given the choice between Fiasco and Randy, I take Randy, but I'd rather it be someone else.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If the OPs source is correct, it isn't Randy Edsall. Benedict makes a move like this only for a clear and obvious upgrade. A statement hire. Several guys could be that guy, Miles, Helfrich, Moorhead, Fleck..., but not Edsall or the various unknowns that have been thrown around on lists.

Reaction Score
You are a first time A.D. in a G-5 program. Your background was built at various P-5 programs & you have aspirations of eventually being A.D. of a P-5 program. This is your first signature hire, which will establish your credibility as having an eye for talent. Are you going to allow your professional reputation be determined by bringing FHCRE back to Storrs? You'd almost be better off rehiring Skippy. I think Benedict is angling for bigger fish to fry.

Reaction Score
You make a move like this to bring in one of "your guys". Why would DB bring back Edsall? It really makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom