Benedict can't stay silent after this | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Benedict can't stay silent after this

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
This post got better with every sentence. Someone's gotta ask Herbst why that buyout no. is so high. Diaco and his agent pulled the wool over some eyes.

Diaco's agent must be the best one on the planet to have pulled off this deal. Worth every penny.

Reaction Score
Erik Campbell was an outstanding hire. The best part? He'd never coached with Diaco before this year. I wonder if there's a connection there...

Maybe this is just the frustration with the whole operation talking...but is Campbell really doing that good a job ???

The passing game is a mess. I'm certainly not saying it's on the WR's that the passing game sucks, but have we really seen much improvement in them ?? Thomas was always great, but pretty much everyone else, barring the occasional play from Mayala, has been invisible. Aside from 1 play, Beals has fallen off a cliff for some reason.

Obviously, the OL and especially the QB are reasons #1 and #1...but during the occasional play where BS manages to make it through his progressions, and the OL gives him that rare luxury, too often no one is open. And that takes into account that defenses have no reason at all to respect our passing game by playing any kind of shell/under coverage. Route-running is the biggest teachable trait/quality for a coach to a WR. To my untrained eye, we don't seem overly polished in that area. I would have hoped that we would have worked on that like crazy over the course of the pre season, and during, but it doesn't seem like we've gotten very far.

Again, maybe i'm just so angry that i cant see anything good right now in this crapfest, but i cant see any major progress with that group either.

Tangentially, our recruiting class is underwhelming right now as well. Has coach Campbell done anything here that should change my mind ? I genuinely don't know if he's been credited with any of our current commits.

Reactions: PWS

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Maybe this is just the frustration with the whole operation talking...but is Campbell really doing that good a job ???

The passing game is a mess. I'm certainly not saying it's on the WR's that the passing game sucks, but have we really seen much improvement in them ?? Thomas was always great, but pretty much everyone else, barring the occasional play from Mayala, has been invisible. Aside from 1 play, Beals has fallen off a cliff for some reason.

Obviously, the OL and especially the QB are reasons #1 and #1...but during the occasional play where BS manages to make it through his progressions, and the OL gives him that rare luxury, too often no one is open. And that takes into account that defenses have no reason at all to respect our passing game by playing any kind of shell/under coverage. Route-running is the biggest teachable trait/quality for a coach to a WR. To my untrained eye, we don't seem overly polished in that area. I would have hoped that we would have worked on that like crazy over the course of the pre season, and during, but it doesn't seem like we've gotten very far.

Again, maybe i'm just so angry that i cant see anything good right now in this crapfest, but i cant see any major progress with that group either.

Tangentially, our recruiting class is underwhelming right now as well. Has coach Campbell done anything here that should change my mind ? I genuinely don't know if he's been credited with any of our current commits.

I've been more impressed with Mayala than most. Before getting hurt, he was beginning to make some of the same grabs in coverage that Noel is known for. We've also seen Lemelle actually be able to participate in the offense after 2 years of regression. I also think that you really can't underrate Shirreff's tucking and running, especially during the first part of the season -- it was really easy to notice Beals and Hergy wide open, only for Shirreffs to not check down and start to scramble.

You make some fair points, but with all of the trouble we've had with QB play, playcalling, and a injury-ravaged OL, I'm of the mind that our receivers are beset by institutional disadvantages that prevent them from showcasing Campbell's work.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
My guess is that there will be coaching changes but not what some want on here. I would bet a couple of coaches like the defensive coordinator and the offensive coordinator to name two that could go. Benedict will press the issue if Diaco doesn't

Reaction Score
You make some fair points, but with all of the trouble we've had with QB play, playcalling, and a injury-ravaged OL, I'm of the mind that our receivers are beset by institutional disadvantages that prevent them from showcasing Campbell's work.

That's fair, and i can't argue any of it. In my eyes, i just wish i saw more from anyone outside Thomas before i can say i'm happy with him. Maybe im being unfair, but that fact that i lose 3 hours every saturday to this garbage is equally unfair....so i don't feel to bad.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Then why box yourself into a corner and put up a buyout number that you literally cannot pay?
Part of me wonders if there was a small part of someone at UConn thinking that if Diaco continues upward like it seemed he might after last season, then we'd make some easy cash on the side to then bank away knowing that the money is quickly drying up. Had Diaco got this team to 8-4 there was a decent shot some P5 school would swoop in and pay that buyout.

I sure as hell hope that wasn't the case but it keeps popping up in my mind every time I think about why they signed that extension.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I find the statement "we don't have $5 million" to be very funny.

Reaction Score
Part of me wonders if there was a small part of someone at UConn thinking that if Diaco continues upward like it seemed he might after last season, then we'd make some easy cash on the side to then bank away knowing that the money is quickly drying up. Had Diaco got this team to 8-4 there was a decent shot some P5 school would swoop in and pay that buyout.

I sure as hell hope that wasn't the case but it keeps popping up in my mind every time I think about why they signed that extension.

That's not the buy-out if Diaco leaves on his own accord. If BD accepts another HC or Asst HC job (D1 or pro team) he owns UConn the following:

1/15/2016 to 11/26/2016 - $700k
11/27/16 to 11/26/17 - $350k
11/27/17 to 11/26/18 - $175k
11/27/18 to 11/26/19 - $100k
11/27/19 to 11.27/19 - $50k

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
That's not the buy-out if Diaco leaves on his own accord. If BD accepts another HC or Asst HC job (D1 or pro team) he owns UConn the following:

Well good. That blows my asinine theory out the window and I'm glad it does. So then I'm back to wondering why UConn would increase his buyout.

Thanks medic for the info

Reaction Score

hmmm. $5 million to BD if he's fired, $700K to UConn if BD job hops. Seems fair

Reaction Score
bumping to the top. Since the OP:

offensive coordinator demoted, new one promoted. He have anything to do w/that
Diaco's weeks long psychological meltdown continues to gain momentum
true freshman redshirt burned with 3 games left
no answer why contract was extended with ridiculous buyout provision