Bench | The Boneyard

Bench

Reaction Score
Any chance someone else besides Liv might be ready later in the season to help contribute minutes in a big game? Will a 6 player rotation be enough come tournament time

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
If Coombs could get some of Williams confidence, she would be the one. She has the skill and potential to grow into big games. Irwin will give good minutes in regular games, but I don't know if she has the skill and potential to contribute in really big game. I hope she can. For as rough and ready as she looks Camara is just too fragile. I hope I am wrong. Apparently Molly is quite the student but it does not seem to translate on the court.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Batouley is out with a hamstring or calf pull and Kyla will get in when the match up benefits her but ND is way too athletic for her. I think Mikayla just needs to put together a string of practices and games that shows Geno what he can expect from her. It's that uncertainty of what she'll do in the game that's keeping her on the bench.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Any chance someone else besides Liv might be ready later in the season to help contribute minutes in a big game? Will a 6 player rotation be enough come tournament time

Six players could be enough. No back to back games. Only two games a week. Plenty of media time outs coupled with the rest periods between quarters, plus the coach’s time outs, six could work. It worked well last night against the best team UConn will play this year. Geno usually goes with a seven player rotation in the tournament.

We now know ONO will be in the rotation, the question is who will be the other one or two? It's too early to tell who that going to be right now. 23 games left in the regular season. Plenty of time for a player(s) to separate themselves from the pack, and catch Geno's eye.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Batouley is out with a hamstring or calf pull and Kyla will get in when the match up benefits her but ND is way too athletic for her. I think Mikayla just needs to put together a string of practices and games that shows Geno what he can expect from her. It's that uncertainty of what she'll do in the game that's keeping her on the bench.
Nan, while I normally agree with your posts, ND's line up is exactly the type of team you would think Irwin would play against - not as athletic down low as some. Love Kyla but after what I've seen from ND the past 2 years, Kyla unfortunately hasn't demonstrated either the strength or quickness to contribute in these type of games.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I believe Batouley has a sprained MCL.

If she does, I don't look for return until after the Christmas break. Thy're NOT going to rush her back.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
If she does, I don't look for return until after the Christmas break. Thy're NOT going to rush her back.
I thought that it was posted or Geno stated that it is a 2 - 4 week period.
That totally backs your timeframe.

Reaction Score
If we don't have the dreaded injury and we stay out of BIG foul trouble, I think we can win the tournament with the six who played yesterday.

ONO will only get better and better and better this year. (We won't even speculate on how good she will be next year. :rolleyes:)

Yes, yes, Geno will play everyone against the conference patsies (there are so many of them, yawn), but once we get to the Sweet Sixteen, right now it's looking like only six.

People on the board have supposed that Kyla might get real minutes when it counts. She is a sweet, hardworking kid, but just doesn't have the game. BC seem, so sadly, to be too fragile to work her way into the rotation. MC -- maybe next year if she works on her shot. Maybe I am wrong about her. My, she is talented physically.

If we bring our "A" game deep in tournament (without injuries), I believe we will cut down the nets.

I miss the charging of the court. I miss the parade. Etc.

We shall see.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
It worked well enough to beat the #1 team in the country.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It worked well enough to beat the #1 team in the country.
Which is not the same as beating the best team in the country.
1543887754970.png

Reaction Score
Combs has the speed and athleticism to play defense on a par with(or very close to it) with the starting five against top teams. I am confident that the coaches are working on one or two simple, sure fire plays to get her a bucket or two early while she is in there to keep the other team honest.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Coombs does not have to show much offense at this point in her career. If she can play lock down defense she will help the team. Just how much did Faris contribute offensively before her senior year and yet she helped the team enough to earn a lot of playing time, even in big games. I believe that Coombs is quicker and handles the ball better. She just needs to learn the system and earn Geno's trust.

Reaction Score
If we don't have the dreaded injury and we stay out of BIG foul trouble, I think we can win the tournament with the six who played yesterday.

ONO will only get better and better and better this year. (We won't even speculate on how good she will be next year. :rolleyes:)

Yes, yes, Geno will play everyone against the conference patsies (there are so many of them, yawn), but once we get to the Sweet Sixteen, right now it's looking like only six.

People on the board have supposed that Kyla might get real minutes when it counts. She is a sweet, hardworking kid, but just doesn't have the game. BC seem, so sadly, to be too fragile to work her way into the rotation. MC -- maybe next year if she works on her shot. Maybe I am wrong about her. My, she is talented physically.

If we bring our "A" game deep in tournament (without injuries), I believe we will cut down the nets.

I miss the charging of the court. I miss the parade. Etc.

We shall see.
I thought Kyla played some good minutes versus DePaul so maybe only 6 against the elite like ND or Baylor but once you get past them I say she gets some minutes along with Coombs.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
People forget that Kyla played some very important minutes against a very good Baylor team when fouls were mounting and held her own. And she looks much better this year than she did two years ago! She will not knock anybodies socks off, but she is fundamentally sound.

I think the team is going to remain 5 starters playing 33 +/- minutes in important games and then a mixture of Ono, Irwin, and Coombs filling in for breathers for the starters.

Reaction Score
People forget that Kyla played some very important minutes against a very good Baylor team when fouls were mounting and held her own. And she looks much better this year than she did two years ago! She will not knock anybodies socks off, but she is fundamentally sound.

I think the team is going to remain 5 starters playing 33 +/- minutes in important games and then a mixture of Ono, Irwin, and Coombs filling in for breathers for the starters.
Completely agree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom