Bench Depth Tourney Time | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bench Depth Tourney Time

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Funny, I have been watching some of the games from the 2008-2009 season (while on the treadmill). All the announcers could talk about was their lack of depth, even before Doty tore her ACL. How did it work out for them?
No, I am not comparing teams at all. Just that it seems the "lack of depth" always seems to be a topic of discussion when it comes to Uconn.
Don't know how long you were on the tread mill but there is a destructive cycle to these comments . It starts with: UCONN has no depth. Followed by: Geno is going to shorten the bench anyway. Followed by: UCONN is one injury away from doom. Followed by :UCONN is doomed. Followed by: UCONN is doomed because everyone else is getting better recruits. Followed by: UCONN is not getting any recruits because Geno is too busy with National team. Followed by: UCONN is going to fall apart anyway once Geno retires. The good news is that @Tonyc post enough times per year (like manna from heaven) and the masses are reassured-temporarily.

Reaction Score
Don't know how long you were on the tread mill but there is a destructive cycle to these comments . It starts with: UCONN has no depth. Followed by: Geno is going to shorten the bench anyway. Followed by: UCONN is one injury away from doom. Followed by :UCONN is doomed. Followed by: UCONN is doomed because everyone else is getting better recruits. Followed by: UCONN is not getting any recruits because Geno is too busy with National team. Followed by: UCONN is going to fall apart anyway once Geno retires. The good news is that @Tonyc post enough times per year (like manna from heaven) and the masses are reassured-temporarily.
Followed by: UConn is national champs once again.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
All this talk about lack of depth...what about our excess of talent?

I could care less if we only rely on one or two from the bench when it comes to winning championships. It's always been the case at UCONN.

In my opinion, our excess of talent in the starting lineup FAR outweighs the size of our bench.

Go ahead, let's try to find some names that can sit above Pheesa, KLS, and Gabby this season. Won't find many. And won't find a team with that combo.

Throw in Chong with her nation-leading ATO ratio, and Nurse's grittiness (Kib did I spell correctly?) and you almost forget UCONN has a bench. And on that bench sit a remarkable freshman with uncanny passing ability and ball handling and a transfer who not only transformed her body but has transformed her play.

Guys, we are pretty good here me thinks

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
When was the last time UCONN had a quality bench of depth?? It seems it's been quite some time. Even coming off 4 straight titles our bench has always been thin. U look around the country with the top teams. Baylor is loaded, Maryland is loaded, Notre Dame has depth, South Carolina has depth ... And many more ... Seems every year where in a position where we can't afford injury or foul trouble... Yes it's worked out great but I just don't understand.... Is it recruits don't want to come to UCONN or is GENO very selective. Yes next year we won't have that issue but come tourney time u need at least a quality rotation of at least 8-9 players. UCONN just doesn't have that. I've seen the last couple of games u can see the team is starting to feel the affects on this long season. I truly believe it will be the reason this team doesn't win it all... I see a few teams who have gotten much better.., Notre Dame is better, Baylor is better, and South Carolina is better. Like I said I think we make it to the final four but winning it all is going to be quite difficult. I think Baylor is the biggest threat and having the final four basically in Baylors back yard will be like a home game. Just never understood the type of program UCONN has you would think recruits would be lined up.... I love when people always say UCONN gets all the best players..., I hope I'm wrong but UCONN shouldn't be in these type of situations where there relying on a rotation of 6 players when most of the top programs can rely on much more players.

Sheesh. UConn is undefeated, won 1,000 straight games and is the favorite to win this year's title for the umpteenth straight year and THIS is what you're worried about?

Must be nice.

Seriously though, UConn has won titles before with a tight rotation. There's no real need to worry at this point. The huskies have played against and beaten every single logical contender out there.. with that same rotation, so unless something has changed with that rotation then I see no real need to worry. South Carolina only plays 8 in big games this year, yesterday in our SECT title game only 7 players got any sort of real time..... we don't have the depth you think we have either.

Be happy that next year you won't have this problem. One can argue that you'll probably have too much talent next year... Geno will probably do platoon swaps. Smh.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
When you say that all those other teams are "loaded" what do you mean? with lots of players or lots of talent?

Exactly! Define "loaded." I beleive Geno has said several times he would like 7 players going into the NCAA tourney. Maybe 8 is perfect but 7 is sufficient. Five starters and two players who when they come into the game the drop off is slight if at all. Two players who deliver what he expects. Two players he trusts to perform in a consistent manner. In other words he knows what he will get every time they walk on the floor. So I think for Geno "loaded" is two really, really good subs. Today I think he has one really, really good sub, Dangerfield. Situationally Butler can be good. Mostly defensively against similarly sized players. Offensively? No. Seems to set good picks though. So I don't think UCONN is loaded going into the NCAA tourney. Are the other teams loaded? I don't know. I do know UCONN has beat them all ... loaded or not.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Courtney would not have helped, in my opinion. I was always a bit flummoxed that they recruited her. She just didn't seem a good fit with UCONN. I watched her closely, going for a " breakout" that never occurred. Never came close. It will be interesting if she starts for Arizona when eligible.

I completely agree with your observations of Ekmark. I also waited to see her breakout. She didn't appear to be a good fit at all. However, she would have been a warm body on the bench if needed. I was not surprised to see her transfer. I think transferring was in HER best interest. Every player dressed on the bench can contribute something, or they would not be there.

In the first 3 games, the bench may get a couple of minutes in garbage time to limit the starters minutes. In the last 3 games, not so much, unless UConn has a LARGE lead. This has been Geno's pattern the last few years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom