Bench Depth Tourney Time | The Boneyard

Bench Depth Tourney Time

Reaction Score
When was the last time UCONN had a quality bench of depth?? It seems it's been quite some time. Even coming off 4 straight titles our bench has always been thin. U look around the country with the top teams. Baylor is loaded, Maryland is loaded, Notre Dame has depth, South Carolina has depth ... And many more ... Seems every year where in a position where we can't afford injury or foul trouble... Yes it's worked out great but I just don't understand.... Is it recruits don't want to come to UCONN or is GENO very selective. Yes next year we won't have that issue but come tourney time u need at least a quality rotation of at least 8-9 players. UCONN just doesn't have that. I've seen the last couple of games u can see the team is starting to feel the affects on this long season. I truly believe it will be the reason this team doesn't win it all... I see a few teams who have gotten much better.., Notre Dame is better, Baylor is better, and South Carolina is better. Like I said I think we make it to the final four but winning it all is going to be quite difficult. I think Baylor is the biggest threat and having the final four basically in Baylors back yard will be like a home game. Just never understood the type of program UCONN has you would think recruits would be lined up.... I love when people always say UCONN gets all the best players..., I hope I'm wrong but UCONN shouldn't be in these type of situations where there relying on a rotation of 6 players when most of the top programs can rely on much more players.

Reaction Score
Sorry, Mike: I just don't buy your angst.

When you say that all those other teams are "loaded" what do you mean? with lots of players or lots of talent? Get ready for a lot of negative pushback from other BYers on your belief that you need a 8-9 person rotation in tournament. Sounds like too much to me.

When you say that Notre Dame is better, Baylor is better, and South Carolina is better, do you not think that UConn is also better? Jeez, UConn just beat South Carolina a couple of weeks ago. How much better do you think South Carolina has gotten since?

I dunno. Short bench, long bench, the only time Geno's teams really suffered was with those horrendous injuries to 2 all-Americans in 2001, and, even so, they still should have won the NC.

Reaction Score
Just making my opinion .. Clearly it's a issue that's why the biggest concern regarding UCONN even by Rebecca Lobo and everyone in the basketball circuit is uconn's depth or foul trouble or injury is what will prevent UCONN from winning it all... So clearly it's not my words or concerns.... Kara Lawson said last week UCONN doesn't win the national title without Kia Nurse.. So if I get a back lash then I guess I won't be the only one...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The bench situation improved a bit with Kia's availability
and weakened a bit with Nat's regression
It's probably 1 forward / 1 guard short
Be interesting to see tomorrow how the short rest effects both teams.
I think UConn will be fine.

Reaction Score
Just making my opinion .. Clearly it's a issue that's why the biggest concern regarding UCONN even by Rebecca Lobo and everyone in the basketball circuit is uconn's depth or foul trouble or injury is what will prevent UCONN from winning it all... So clearly it's not my words or concerns.... Kara Lawson said last week UCONN doesn't win the national title without Kia Nurse.. So if I get a back lash then I guess I won't be the only one...
No argument. But the difference between a thin bench and a strong bench isn't structural and historic, as you suggest, but rather contingent on specific circumstance. If Tuck had remained, OR if Boykin hadn't transferred, OR if Batouly had come originally....any ONE of these would have ended the angst.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Mike - FYI - regardless of who Geno has on the bench, he only goes 6 or 7 deep in the tournaments.

Reality - you can only play 5 at a time. Unless you are going to "change lines" like in hockey and substitute for all 5, you change your team chemistry. For UConn team chemistry is everything both on offense and on defense. If you notice, when the teams you mentioned substitute their efficiency goes down.

We have beaten Baylor, ND, Texas, SC, MD, DePaul, FSU, tOSU, K-State = all ranked. They have improved as you say, some more than others. UConn has improved too.

Don't see it your way.

Reaction Score
No argument. But the difference between a thin bench and a strong bench isn't structural and historic, as you suggest, but rather contingent on specific circumstance. If Tuck had remained, OR if Boykin hadn't transferred, OR if Batouly had come originally....any ONE of these would have ended the angst.
Well tucks knee didn't hold up in rookie season of the WNBA ... Boykin hasn't been healthy since she left UCONN and if they stayed woukd we have gotten Stevens?? So I guess it all happened for a reason.... So if it's meant to be it will be.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
I have been wondering all season would Courtney Ekmark had a breakthrough season and her game risen with everybody else, always wanted her to find success and contribute even if it was 5pts, 5 rebounds, good defense...someone team could count on to get it done...we could have used someone like that this year...

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
I may be remembering wrong but recall 1999-2000 and 2000-2001, we played 10+...I hope next year we go back to that...speed up the game and attack and press teams right out of the gym...

Reaction Score
This is always brought up as a UCONN weakness this year, but I su spect we will see most, if not all those "deep" teams relying on 7 or 8 deep rotation... just like UCONN. let's pray our top 3, or fab 5 stay healthy, and thinfs will work out.

Reaction Score
The Uconn bench issue is the NON issue---Geno loves to use a rotation of up to 8 players---he had that this year. Look at the games (Tulane, USC, etc ) where Uconn had "foul" trouble. The subs came in and held the fort---no they are not the top 5 --but three recently Kyla, Danger, Butler maintained the out put and saved the game---yes everyone said Napheesa saved that game--maybe KLS too---but it was Danger that stole an in bound pass and averted a basket and OT---Butler, say what you will, rebounds, scores, and passes--none really up to Gabby's standard, but (pun) they are passable--Danger is scoring and improving--she belongs, Kyla has rebounded and scored---and no fear in that kid.
What do you want in an 8 person rotation---8 super stars????? That never works.. Ask Geno.. Ask Baylor, Ask Tx
etc.. Be dam happy you have what you have---with the results---and folks you cannot deny the results.
If Uconn win's it all---thank the bench--if they don't win it all blame the bench---and Geno --But hasn't it been a year you didn't expect to win many or any??? Be thankful ...

Reaction Score
When was the last time UCONN had a quality bench of depth?? It seems it's been quite some time. Even coming off 4 straight titles our bench has always been thin. U look around the country with the top teams. Baylor is loaded, Maryland is loaded, Notre Dame has depth, South Carolina has depth ... And many more ... Seems every year where in a position where we can't afford injury or foul trouble... Yes it's worked out great but I just don't understand.... Is it recruits don't want to come to UCONN or is GENO very selective. Yes next year we won't have that issue but come tourney time u need at least a quality rotation of at least 8-9 players. UCONN just doesn't have that. I've seen the last couple of games u can see the team is starting to feel the affects on this long season. I truly believe it will be the reason this team doesn't win it all... I see a few teams who have gotten much better.., Notre Dame is better, Baylor is better, and South Carolina is better. Like I said I think we make it to the final four but winning it all is going to be quite difficult. I think Baylor is the biggest threat and having the final four basically in Baylors back yard will be like a home game. Just never understood the type of program UCONN has you would think recruits would be lined up.... I love when people always say UCONN gets all the best players..., I hope I'm wrong but UCONN shouldn't be in these type of situations where there relying on a rotation of 6 players when most of the top programs can rely on much more players.

No attack Mike...Not sure how long you have been a follower as I see you have been on this forum for a year now. Just my opinion but how long are some going to beat this dead horse? This has been a topic since the end of last season. This was a topic at the beginning of this season and throughout the season, now its like a new revelation for the post season?
This team is going to eventually lose a game and it may or may not be because of the depth of the bench. I think Nat Butler is a key and she absolutely has to finish better around the hoop than she did tonight. As for recruits wanting to come here or Geno being very selective you really have some homework to do. Use your search abilities and you will find all you need to know on how selective Geno is on who and who does not get offered here. Weather it is attitude, work ethic, tattoos or parents he does not want to deal with, Geno is VERY selective. Early in that search you will find on Maryland's roster a two time CT player of the year that was never offered by UConn. That alone will answer some of your query. Please also keep in mind along with the demanding practice habits well documented of this team the GPA they maintain.
Personally I like our bench with the first three from right to left being Geno, Chris, and Shea....;)
You say the team will make the final four but winning it all will be quite difficult. Hard for one to disagree with the obvious.....

Reaction Score
No attack Mike...Not sure how long you have been a follower as I see you have been on this forum for a year now. Just my opinion but how long are some going to beat this dead horse? This has been a topic since the end of last season. This was a topic at the beginning of this season and throughout the season, now its like a new revelation for the post season?
This team is going to eventually lose a game and it may or may not be because of the depth of the bench. I think Nat Butler is a key and she absolutely has to finish better around the hoop than she did tonight. As for recruits wanting to come here or Geno being very selective you really have some homework to do. Use your search abilities and you will find all you need to know on how selective Geno is on who and who does not get offered here. Weather it is attitude, work ethic, tattoos or parents he does not want to deal with, Geno is VERY selective. Early in that search you will find on Maryland's roster a two time CT player of the year that was never offered by UConn. That alone will answer some of your query. Please also keep in mind along with the demanding practice habits well documented of this team the GPA they maintain.
Personally I like our bench with the first three from right to left being Geno, Chris, and Shea....;)
You say the team will make the final four but winning it all will be quite difficult. Hard for one to disagree with the obvious.....
Do u think they will win it all??

Reaction Score
No attack Mike...Not sure how long you have been a follower as I see you have been on this forum for a year now. Just my opinion but how long are some going to beat this dead horse? This has been a topic since the end of last season. This was a topic at the beginning of this season and throughout the season, now its like a new revelation for the post season?...

I had a dejá vu vibe with this thread and yep :
UConn exposed

OP picks Baylor (again) and it's much more likely this year than last, so who knows, it might actually happen this time :shrug:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@MikeR01950 I'd have to agree with @bags27 on this one. Depth is highly overrated IMO because NCAA Tournament games are so spread out.
Let me flip your thinking around for a second, when was the last time a FF game or Championship was decided by depth?
BTW the 2013 UCONN squad had 1 AA ( Bria Hartley) and two future AA (Morgan, & Moriah) and pretty good defensive player (Kiah Stokes) all coming off the bench.
Of course I wish this team had more depth, I'm just not going to dwell on it. I like the horses that brought us this far, so that is who I'm betting on.

Reaction Score
Remember the teams led by DT when they won 2 years in a row. UConn does not have a Diana, but it does have 5 very good starters and 3 kids in Danger, Butler and Kyla that can help when needed. At least Danger, is a very trustworthy and reliable going into the tournament to give someone a rest

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Two thoughts here........
1. When you reference UConn's "short bench", don't forget that two players defected (transferred) last year (Boykin and Ekmark) than would have added some depth to his bench.
2. If you've been following UConn for any length of time, you'd know that Geno ALWAYS shortens his bench to 1-2 players during the NCAA tournament. This year, it will be Dangerfield and Butler (and they'll make it work).

Two years ago, Kiah Stokes was the bench for Geno during their tournament run for the championship. He pulled it off. Geno knows his team. He already has the game plan and strategy he's going to use planned out. The starters know going in that they may have to play 40 minutes, so that's not a problem. They are mentally and physically prepared for that scenario should it occur.

You can't compare the Huskies to other teams because not only are the dynamics different, but so is the criteria and expectations. Coaches have different criteria for using different players in tournament games. There are two types of players that comprise Geno's roster. Starters and role players. Geno has his own unique system. It may not work for others, but it works for him. I think you would agree it's worked pretty good the last four years. When you find something that works, you stay with it. The man knows what he's doing. In Geno we trust!!

UConn has had a short bench all year. It has not cost them a game yet. UConn is down to their last 7 games. Geno is a master at coaching and managing his squad.
31 games down, 7 to go. The finish line is in sight. If having a short bench was going to be a problem, that problem would have manifested itself by now. Or as Geno said two years ago, just before their semi-final game at the final four: "If we were going to lose, we'd have done it by now". Mike, fear not, Geno and his short bench will be fine. Go Huskies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are often posts about a game like yesterday's wondering why Geno isn't resting his starters more. I think the answer is he wants to get them used to playing 30 plus minutes three days in a row, so that in the NCAA's if he needs them close to 40 for two games in three days they're ready.

Reaction Score
I have been wondering all season would Courtney Ekmark had a breakthrough season and her game risen with everybody else, always wanted her to find success and contribute even if it was 5pts, 5 rebounds, good defense...someone team could count on to get it done...we could have used someone like that this year...
Courtney would not have helped, in my opinion. I was always a bit flummoxed that they recruited her. She just didn't seem a good fit with UCONN. I watched her closely, going for a " breakout" that never occurred. Never came close. It will be interesting if she starts for Arizona when eligible.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Courtney would not have helped, in my opinion. I was always a bit flummoxed that they recruited her. She just didn't seem a good fit with UCONN. I watched her closely, going for a " breakout" that never occurred. Never came close. It will be interesting if she starts for Arizona when eligible.
She will not start for Arizona, since she transferred to Arizona State. I'm always "a bit flummoxed" when someone questions why UCONN recruited Courtney who was one of the best players coming out of HS at a time when the UCONN roster (out of necessity) included two players at the guard position that were walkons.

Reaction Score
Funny, I have been watching some of the games from the 2008-2009 season (while on the treadmill). All the announcers could talk about was their lack of depth, even before Doty tore her ACL. How did it work out for them?
No, I am not comparing teams at all. Just that it seems the "lack of depth" always seems to be a topic of discussion when it comes to Uconn.

Reaction Score
There are often posts about a game like yesterday's wondering why Geno isn't resting his starters more. I think the answer is he wants to get them used to playing 30 plus minutes three days in a row, so that in the NCAA's if he needs them close to 40 for two games in three days they're ready.
completely agree. Some of the starters played 40 or nearly so during some of the early games (the murder's row out of conference games), but during the AAC schedule they backed off giving subs time to develop. Now it's time to ramp the Fab Five back towards 40 min per game to be ready for NCAA tourney. I can only imagine how hard he pushes during the first few practices in preps for NCAA.

Reaction Score
I had a dejá vu vibe with this thread and yep :
UConn exposed

OP picks Baylor (again) and it's much more likely this year than last, so who knows, it might actually happen this time :shrug:
Wow u pulled up my post from last year didn't realize I was that important or anyone cared

Reaction Score
As to the use of the bench going forward:
1. Crystal's profited mightily from Kia's injury and will give far better quality minutes. Not impossible, given match-ups and conditions, that they'll go 3 guard small at times.
2. Kayla's been improving and it's conceivable that she'll get some competitive minutes in relief.
3. The NCAA is not an especially physically stressful tournament off the court. At home the first 2 games against the easiest teams. It doesn't heat up for UConn until the regionals, maybe the regional championship, which are effectively home games. And there's a day off within each 2 game set, and nearly a week off between the regionals and the final 4. And no travel in between the final 2 games.

Any shortness of bench gets neutralized by UConn's vast experience in playoffs and high stakes games and in playing with a short bench this year. Not saying they're going to win it all; lots of variables. But barring injury or a visually-challenged ref, they're now exactly where they need to be.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom