Bench coaches to guide Hurley's in-game coaching? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bench coaches to guide Hurley's in-game coaching?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Seems like he's learned from his mistake from Sanogo.

Not sure we aren't valuing shot-blockers though. At least at the 4 spot. We played Akok a ton of minutes despite him being a 0 on offense for most of the season because of his shot-blocking. Johnson was recruited in large part because of his shot-blocking as well. We've also played Whaley A LOT of minutes, despite his pretty lame offense recently because he's averaging something like 2.8 blocks per game.

We clearly aren't recruiting 5s with shot-blocking or elite athleticism as a primary concern though. Or at least the top 100 Cs we have some connections with don't fit that mold. Seems to me that offensive rebounding and size are our priorities (Sanogo/Clingan fall into that pattern).

We did play Akok a lot, and he did a lot of good things while not doing much on offense. But when we go to Cole, Gaff, Adams/Polley, Martin, we are essentially conceding the rim. Especially when we continue to ask Whaley to hard hedge. Everybody knows we do it, and the result is they attack the rim.

What I've seen DH do lately, is use two bigs, with one covering the rim when the other hedges. It has been effective and it helped cause those blocks the other day. It can't be Polley, Adams or Martin covering the rim, they can't do it. If he needs to play small, then he should stop the hedging and leave the 5 in the paint. It's not that complicated. Clingan will become a huge rim protector, just based on length.

On the offensive side, we are doing a much better job of feeding the inside players via the pass. Not just Sanogo, although he's most noteworthy. I don't think Dan has really had anybody besides Carlton two years ago who could be that kind of focal point inside. Akok should have been used in the post more often, and I hope he and Johnson will be going forward.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There is only one answer. A large monitor near the bench with our Game Chat displayed.
AKA "Bench Technical Bot".

Reaction Score
We did play Akok a lot, and he did a lot of good things while not doing much on offense. But when we go to Cole, Gaff, Adams/Polley, Martin, we are essentially conceding the rim. Especially when we continue to ask Whaley to hard hedge. Everybody knows we do it, and the result is they attack the rim.

What I've seen DH do lately, is use two bigs, with one covering the rim when the other hedges. It has been effective and it helped cause those blocks the other day. It can't be Polley, Adams or Martin covering the rim, they can't do it. If he needs to play small, then he should stop the hedging and leave the 5 in the paint. It's not that complicated. Clingan will become a huge rim protector, just based on length.

On the offensive side, we are doing a much better job of feeding the inside players via the pass. Not just Sanogo, although he's most noteworthy. I don't think Dan has really had anybody besides Carlton two years ago who could be that kind of focal point inside. Akok should have been used in the post more often, and I hope he and Johnson will be going forward.

Yeah, since we're focusing so much on hard hedges, the shot-blocking 4 makes a lot of sense. Kind of the best of both worlds when you get someone who can block shots like a big on defense, but spread the floor like a guard on the other end.

I wish we had a defense other than hard hedge and pressure the ball. We basically do the same thing on defense all the time, and just switch matchups. Some kind of zone or another wrinkle in our man to man defense could make use better. There isn't a lot to complain about... we're kenpom 22 in the country in defense. But I think we could be better with a couple of different looks in our back pocket for a few minutes a game to change the tempo.

Our best look right now is Whaley at the 4 and Sanogo at the 5 for sure. I'd imagine a healthy Akok/Johnson next year if they are ready to contribute could be very effective at taking our defense to the next level.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I checked, and it turns out all the coaches of the other Big East teams also have impressive resumes. Coaching is graded on a curve, and unfortunately for Hurley, he is coaching in a league that may have the best coaches in college basketball overall. Most games at this level are decided by a handful of plays, so a coach that is making mistakes will eventually stand out.

Hurley's issues are fixable, if he wants to fix them. His call.
I'm not going to be afraid to say this like everybody else, and stay silent. Pick up the phone and make the call already. You know he wants you, but he's too stubborn to call you. Okay?

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
There is only one answer. A large monitor near the bench with our Game Chat displayed.
Is this not a thing already?? Then who have we all been posting our brilliant ideas to during game chats? Each other??? What a waste...

Reaction Score
I checked, and it turns out all the coaches of the other Big East teams also have impressive resumes. Coaching is graded on a curve, and unfortunately for Hurley, he is coaching in a league that may have the best coaches in college basketball overall. Most games at this level are decided by a handful of plays, so a coach that is making mistakes will eventually stand out.

Hurley's issues are fixable, if he wants to fix them. His call.
So a coach who is missing by far his best player and has continued to win in possibly the best conference is making mistakes that so many here say need to be fixed. Give me a break. Fan is short for fanatic after all. Ok, we layed an egg vs St John's. You going to trade Mike Anderson for DH?

ElmCity40th

F…y’all talkin bout?
Reaction Score
So a coach who is missing by far his best player and has continued to win in possibly the best conference is making mistakes that so many here say need to be fixed. Give me a break. Fan is short for fanatic after all. Ok, we layed an egg vs St John's. You going to trade Mike Anderson for DH?
Hell No...People need to let go of the St. John’s wtf game. Regardless of the Sanogo benching. The good guys should have pulled that one out easily. DH gets the overall blame, but the players should have put that one away. Too complacent after getting out to a big lead.

Reaction Score
Nose snort elicited
AKA "Bench Technical Bot".
The Game Chat critiques the players in real time too. So if they watch it, they'll get some pointers on how to improve their game, especially, if they are at the end of the bench and maybe the Assistants who watch it, will claim they have a good idea and tell the coach. If the chat suggestion helps, they get the Credit.

If it is tablet size, DH won't get distracted and fertile ideas will develop from watching the Game Chat.

Just another take. TIFWIW.

Reaction Score
The Game Chat critiques the players in real time too. So if they watch it, they'll get some pointers on how to improve their game, especially, if they are at the end of the bench and maybe the Assistants who watch it, will claim they have a good idea and tell the coach. If the chat suggestion helps, they get the Credit.

If it is tablet size, DH won't get distracted and fertile ideas will develop from watching the Game Chat.

Just another take. TIFWIW.
Nose snort V 2.0 elicited

Reaction Score
Too many snorts may elicit an visit to the ENT or even the ER.
More concerning, the coaching staff's nasal snorts inconveniently elicited should some chat room zealot present his version of a Boneyard How to Coach game tablet

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

why do you think the UConn players aren’t good? I think the roster is very talented.

Reaction Score
More concerning, the coaching staff's nasal snorts inconveniently elicited should some chat room zealot present his version of a Boneyard How to Coach game tablet
In the worst case scenario, would not be as problematic as Reddit.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah, since we're focusing so much on hard hedges, the shot-blocking 4 makes a lot of sense. Kind of the best of both worlds when you get someone who can block shots like a big on defense, but spread the floor like a guard on the other end.

I wish we had a defense other than hard hedge and pressure the ball. We basically do the same thing on defense all the time, and just switch matchups. Some kind of zone or another wrinkle in our man to man defense could make use better. There isn't a lot to complain about... we're kenpom 22 in the country in defense. But I think we could be better with a couple of different looks in our back pocket for a few minutes a game to change the tempo.

Our best look right now is Whaley at the 4 and Sanogo at the 5 for sure. I'd imagine a healthy Akok/Johnson next year if they are ready to contribute could be very effective at taking our defense to the next level.

I think most coaches are wrong in their definition of spread the floor. 5 and usually even a 4 out is not spreading the floor. That is making the defense's life easier.

Putting players one move away from a high percentage shot is spreading the floor.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You're talking about two completely different coaches, but why am i not surprised by your take on this.

The only two setting most Boneyard posters have for our coaches are "Absolute Worship" and "Visceral Hatred".

There are other settings on the coaching dial.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom