Bench #20 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bench #20

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If the cardinal rule of playing safety is never let your man get behind you, he seems to violate that constantly. Is he stuck playing man coverage on slot receivers, etc., as someone above mentioned, due to our scheme?

Reaction Score
Him
Ben_Kenobi.png

Reaction Score
To be fair, on the TD he was on an island with the WR. But I agree his play is not where it should be. Remember, we are still in the evaluation period.

His biggest problem is that he does not seem to find the ball in the air. He has had decent coverage on a number of occasions but doesn't make a play on the ball. For the most part he does stay with with his man. Yes, there were two notable exceptions. However, that has not translated into him making plays because he has no idea where the ball is. He doesn't get his head turned around. That means the QB can throw to Obi's man even when he has good coverage.

Last edited:

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
To be fair, on the TD he was on an island with the WR. But I agree his play is not where it should be. Remember, we are still in the evaluation period.
CW passed his evaluation - others have not.

Reaction Score
He has been burned on big plays ALL YEAR LONG,and we've only played three games.I've seen no improvement by him from last year.He never turns to see where the ball is either.
sophomore slump

Reaction Score
Summers steps in for Obi. I like his run support and takes better angles than Obi.

Obi as our last line of defense is costing us very easy scores. Boise's first TD was too easy. #2 jogged in from our 20 yard line. He was burned by Stony Brook last week and BYU's 2nd TD was all on him being torched too.

I have no doubt that he's working hard and he does possess some good skills, but I agree that it's time to move Summers into more of a prominent role at safety. We can't possibly win games when we are giving away free and easy scores on a weekly basis.

No way its Summers. Marder maybe. I've watched Summers a lot. Yesterday he got beat on a crucial third down and six where they went on to score. Summers may be be physically ready but really looks like he would have benefitted from a red shirt year.

John Green however is coming around. And junior Lee made some big hits last week but I didn't see him out there this week.

Reaction Score
I think Lee is next in line for PT. and I would've liked to see Floyd get some burn as long as we were in preseason mode. Davis gets rest to evaluate the young WR's but Obi stays out there. Mind boggling.

Reaction Score
I am not reach to see Obi benched, but I would love to see Lee on the field. I think the system is all wrong for Obi but he will adjust.

Reaction Score
It's not uncommon to take a step backwards... It's extremely common in BB.
when you're trying something new, or forced to take a different approach I can understand this. I think he's relied on his natural talent up to now.

How does one get worse,especially after being coached and looking at game film of their previous mistakes ?

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Obi is the best safety? I'm not seeing or buying what Coach D is selling. He plays decent midfield coverage but once someone slips by its like he doesn't know where the ball is. I don't get it. I don't blame it all on him though, we need to get more pressure on closing off the passing lanes. I think the D Line showed improvement but overall I think it was a good showing going into Friday's league opener. I think like it or not, the team is progressing, its just going to take some more time. I believe it will come, just not sure when. I hope it's soon.

Reaction Score
Obi is the best safety? I'm not seeing or buying what Coach D is selling. He plays decent midfield coverage but once someone slips by its like he doesn't know where the ball is. I don't get it. I don't blame it all on him though, we need to get more pressure on closing off the passing lanes. I think the D Line showed improvement but overall I think it was a good showing going into Friday's league opener. I think like it or not, the team is progressing, its just going to take some more time. I believe it will come, just not sure when. I hope it's soon.
It sure makes it easy to guess what the opposition is going to do on 2nd, 3rd and long. Sitting in the stands it was a collective "here it comes Obi". Not sure who he is looking at from the line of scrimmage but he soon loses track as they run by. Of the defensive backs the only one who seems to want to make a good break on the ball is #22 Andrew Adams.

Reaction Score

Get off Diaco's back.

Reaction Score
You can see how athletic Obi is. Unfortunately, to be an effective safety you need more than athleticism. And this far in his career, he has not shown anything outside of that.

Reaction Score
Cant put all blame on the back end of your defense guys... We have ZERO pass rush...we need to fix some things up front with our ...front 7...

One other reality. Our offense is atrocious. Ero consistent run game. Very weak looking offense line. Just reality right now.

Positive: we're learning and will get better

Reaction Score
Cant put all blame on the back end of your defense guys... We have ZERO pass rush...we need to fix some things up front with our ...front 7...

One other reality. Our offense is atrocious. Ero consistent run game. Very weak looking offense line. Just reality right now.

Positive: we're learning and will get better

I actually love our down lineman. Think they are playing great. Linebacker play has been extremely inconsistent. Vann looked solid v. Boise, Ashiru is starting to develop more consistent, but I am more than a little concerned about Graham Stewart.

I think the issue with pass rush is half personnel, half scheme. This D does not like to blitz, which can give the qb a ton of time to make his reads. I believe this was the M.O. of Coach Diaco's defenses at Notre Dame, so I do not expect the scheme to change much.

Reaction Score
BSU fan here,
We just got home about a hour ago. I just wanted to let you all know that we had the greatest time ever. We have traveled to a lot of away games and never has a fan base been as friendly and welcome as your. You have added two more UConn fans for life. We will check the UConn game each week and hopefully a couple may be broadcast out here thru the season.

As for the game, I was in doubt until the 4 minute mark of the 4th quarter. We all know that turnovers kill you. As for our offense, their lack of usual productivity had nothing to do with them and everything to do with your defense. Ajayi had nowhere to go, Hedrick could not get outside and if not for the turnovers, this game could have had a complete different outcome. I believe the defense is only going to get better. Better offensive line play and fewer turnovers and UConn will be fine

Again, Thanks for great experience and happy tailgating. GO BRONCOS AND GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score
To be honest I wasn't that impressed with Obi last year either. On occasion he would show some athleticism but overall, he had the same problems that are showing up this season. As for Stewart, he is better against the run than the pass, I think and if we call for it he is a decent pass rusher, but over all I think he suffers from having played at Florida. More is expected from him than he is capable of providing.

Reaction Score
Boneyarders are something else. #20 projects to be a high NFL Draft pick, if not 1st round. His athletic ability and tangibles are through the roof. He is a second year player, in his second defensive coordinator, system, and it is a demanding system mentally and physically on his safety position. He is a young, raw player right now, in a new system 3 games in. By the time this kid is a senior, as long as we keep Poindexter, and I hope we do, and this defensive system, he is going to be havoc for any opponent we face. He has had some problems both penalty wise and assignments, but he shows improvement, and the next time a safety, or a db, for that matter doesn't ever get beat, 100% of the time will be the first. The safety position, on our roster, is young, but is one of our strongest depth wise on the entire roster moving forward. If there is another player that can emerge above Obi, they will, but I doubt it. He'll start for 2 more seasons after this, and will be at the next level. Mark it down.

Reaction Score
Boneyarders are something else. #20 projects to be a high NFL Draft pick, if not 1st round. His athletic ability and tangibles are through the roof. He is a second year player, in his second defensive coordinator, system, and it is a demanding system mentally and physically on his safety position. He is a young, raw player right now, in a new system 3 games in. By the time this kid is a senior, as long as we keep Poindexter, and I hope we do, and this defensive system, he is going to be havoc for any opponent we face. He has had some problems both penalty wise and assignments, but he shows improvement, and the next time a safety, or a db, for that matter doesn't ever get beat, 100% of the time will be the first. The safety position, on our roster, is young, but is one of our strongest depth wise on the entire roster moving forward. If there is another player that can emerge above Obi, they will, but I doubt it. He'll start for 2 more seasons after this, and will be at the next level. Mark it down.

For the first time in a long time as far back as I can remember, WE HAVE A FULL ROSTER OF MEN WHO LOOK LIKE DIVISION 1 FOOTBALL PLAYERS.

Sorry Carl. Couldn't resist.

Reaction Score
I can't argue with this. That TD he gave up was ridiculous.

This play was broken down on TV. And I agree with the analyst. I think that the player in question was more or less set up to fail schematically. An athletic WR against a safety giving 12 yards of cushion is more or less doomed.

Reaction Score
For the first time in a long time as far back as I can remember, WE HAVE A FULL ROSTER OF MEN WHO LOOK LIKE DIVISION 1 FOOTBALL PLAYERS.

Sorry Carl. Couldn't resist.

I deserve it, no apologies. I was very wrong, to trust our former coach, based on respect I had for the guy as a very young person 2 1/2 decades ago.

Reaction Score
I deserve it, no apologies. I was very wrong, to trust our former coach, based on respect I had for the guy as a very young person 2 1/2 decades ago.

It was my of saying (in a douchey way) that thought of Obi projecting to be a first round pick is off the wall crazy even for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom