Ben Gordon opens up about his struggles with mental health to try to help others | The Boneyard

Ben Gordon opens up about his struggles with mental health to try to help others

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Everyone should read this article. Brave of Ben to open up about all this stuff, it's obviously nothing to be embarrassed about but it's difficult for a lot of people to open up like that. It's great to see him in such a great place and his message will be powerful for others.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Proud of you, Ben!

He deserves the Huskies of Honor distinction and I am verrrry confident that will happen sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very informative article. It’s unfortunate that he suffered from depression, but it’s good to know that he’s handling it.

Reaction Score
Great news on Ben. As a fellow alum, New Yorker, and someone who has worked in the mental health/criminal justice field, I know how tough it is for a person like Ben to acknowledge the need for outside help. He now embraces it and wants to help others. Stay strong, Ben.

Reaction Score
There are many in the place he was, but unfortunately stigmas about mental health still present many barriers to seeking treatment. Hopefully as more people like Ben speak out those stigmas will start to fade. It takes a lot of strength to admit that you can't go it alone.
Congrats Ben on getting to a place where you are comfortable with yourself. Good luck in rebuilding your life and relationships - I am very proud of you. This supercedes anything you dod on a basketball court and takes more courage and determination.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Many people have depression. Ben had severe depression. To the extent where it could look psychotic.
It is great that he is doing well and that he is helping others by speaking out.

Reaction Score
There are many in the place he was, but unfortunately stigmas about mental health still present many barriers to seeking treatment. Hopefully as more people like Ben speak out those stigmas will start to fade. It takes a lot of strength to admit that you can't go it alone.
Great post.

While there's still a ways to go, the stigma is starting to dissipate. I'm fortunate to work in a small middle school where social/emotional development is a major focus, so these kids can have a safe haven from the pressures that might be dealt to them.

Although never been medicated, I live with anxiety and had minor depressive episodes throughout my life. Thanks to the doctors I've talked to and the care of friends and family, rather than sulking on a mental disposition, I cherish the positive attributes that make me who I am.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
This is excellent news. Madison Square Gordon! Dude was so fun to watch but that t-shirt probably impeded his full range of motion.

C

Chief00

Why the with help distinction?
That was one of Ben’s main points. That too many people, particularly in the community he grew up in, would try to do it themselves and that’s very difficult to do - overcoming denial and not having a roadmap or outside perspective. An athlete also has a barrier sometimes equating being tough to not needing help.

Reaction Score
I was very happy to read this article and learn how Ben was finding a way to overcome what depression was doing to him. Not everyone is able to do this and the results are devastating.

Reaction Score
This is so so nice to read. Happy to see he's in a much better place now

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom