Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Oh what could have been...

Reaction Score
first ballot inductee into the "I got paid, now I'ma chill" HOF
yep, people in charlotte hate this dude. hope he makes the team even in a brandon rush no minutes kind of role though.

Reaction Score
Heard GSW is looking to add more shooting, believe it or not. Would like to see BG play for a contender. Think the chill attitude has had a lot to do with being on uncompetitive teams.

Reaction Score
Can he still play (meaning got game) like he used to?

Reaction Score
The NBA channel recently showed the game from 2009 where Ben and Ray got into that incredible shootout. It's hard to understand how a guy could go from being that good, to almost being out of the league.

Reaction Score
He went for the $$ and killed his career in the process....him in a bulls uniform was awesome!!

Reaction Score
Could be great for BG and UConn as the Warriors should be a contender again and on TV a lot. Ben might want to seriously consider playing some D this time around.

Kauffmak10

BleedBlue
Reaction Score
Could be great for BG and UConn as the Warriors should be a contender again and on TV a lot. Ben might want to seriously consider playing some D this time around.
For sure.. Kerr won't play him if he doesn't play D

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He can be enshrined right next to his fellow '04 champ Charlie V.

Charlie never had as much star potential as Ben, but he's carved out a nice niche as a valuable contributor for the Mavericks and is more productive than BG is at the moment. Not comparable IMO.

Reaction Score
Charlie never had as much star potential as Ben, but he's carved out a nice niche as a valuable contributor for the Mavericks and is more productive than BG is at the moment. Not comparable IMO.

CV never reached the highs that BG did but he did have a pretty solid start to his career and showed enough potential for Dumars to throw that ridiculous contract at him. They're pretty much at the same point now, CV is no lock to make the Mavs, they're bringing in a bunch of bodies to training camp.

Reaction Score

I was happy to see him re-surface in a limited role with Dallas as well after it looked like he might be on his way out of the league, but if you compare the trajectory of both he and BG's careers they are pretty similar. Both had career years on the final year of their rookie contract, faded gradually their first couple years on the second contract and then fell off a cliff thereafter.

Not trying to beat up on Charlie, but hell, the guy got cut from the Dominican national team. I think it is fair to lump him in with Ben as guys who don't quite have that fire in them.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Charlie never had as much star potential as Ben, . . .
Disagree. 6/11, 240, could shoot the 3, excellent handle, good court vision, 14 pts and 8 boards a game as a soph - mobile, could run the floor, catch and finish in traffic, great touch. Guy had it all. He had the tool kit to be a top 50 all time NBA player. Have to agree that he just didn't have the fire in his belly. Still - love him as a Husky. Vividly remember B. Packer repeatedly saying in the 04 semis v. Duke, "why isn't Calhoun playing CV more in the 2nd half? He had a great 1st half." B. Packer didn't, it seem, understand the whole Okafor-foul-trouble thing in the 1st half. Hilarious!

Reaction Score
In my opinion, you are one of (if not the) most knowledgeable posters here, so I will respect your views. But after reading this, I have a tough time seeing how anyone would think that. http://charlievillanueva.sportsblog.com/posts/2291424/thank-you-dallas.html

Thanks, I enjoyed the read. At the least, I went too far with the way I phrased that...both guys (Ben and Charlie) worked harder than we'll ever know to get where they are. I don't want to be the message board poster questioning the work ethics of professional athletes, so I should clarify or amend my statement...

I would never for a second question how much they care. I think the most maligned of professional athletes care more than we think...you don't get to that level without a fierce level of inner-pride. With a guy like Chuck, I think it's a matter of 'getting used to' losing, and I don't doubt that playing on a contender re-energized him. I think the same can happen to Ben.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Disagree. 6/11, 240, could shoot the 3, excellent handle, good court vision, 14 pts and 8 boards a game as a soph - mobile, could run the floor, catch and finish in traffic, great touch. Guy had it all. He had the tool kit to be a top 50 all time NBA player. Have to agree that he just didn't have the fire in his belly. Still - love him as a Husky. Vividly remember B. Packer repeatedly saying in the 04 semis v. Duke, "why isn't Calhoun playing CV more in the 2nd half? He had a great 1st half." B. Packer didn't, it seem, understand the whole Okafor-foul-trouble thing in the 1st half. Hilarious!

In college, Charlie had many great skills, but lacked an elite level of athleticism that I would guess limits him to some degree in the NBA. In this case, I am referring to lateral quickness, sprinting speed, and jumping ability. He was more of a finesse player and was not a real banger inside. I'm sure others will let me know if this changed in the NBA since I have rarely seen him play. He was probably the best passer we have had for a real big man. I think that some of our players who did not reach the level of stardom in the NBA that we hoped for were more laid back personalities who were just not as naturally aggressive/competitive as others (e.g. Thabeet, Boone, Gay, Charlie, Hilton). I'm not sure that is the same thing as lacking the "fire in the belly."

Reaction Score
In college, Charlie had many great skills, but lacked an elite level of athleticism . . .
Disagree. 6/11 guy who can run the floor, shoot from deep, excellent handle, excellent court vision, excellent passer. He had plenty of athletic talent to play in the NBA. For the sake of all that is holy, freaking Dirk Nowitski played a hall of fame career in the NBA with 1/2 the athleticism as Charlie.

Reaction Score
In college, Charlie had many great skills, but lacked an elite level of athleticism that I would guess limits him to some degree in the NBA. In this case, I am referring to lateral quickness, sprinting speed, and jumping ability. He was more of a finesse player and was not a real banger inside. I'm sure others will let me know if this changed in the NBA since I have rarely seen him play. He was probably the best passer we have had for a real big man. I think that some of our players who did not reach the level of stardom in the NBA that we hoped for were more laid back personalities who were just not as naturally aggressive/competitive as others (e.g. Thabeet, Boone, Gay, Charlie, Hilton). I'm not sure that is the same thing as lacking the "fire in the belly."

Those limitations you listed didn't stop him from putting up 16&7 in his contract year in Milwaukee. Same thing with BG's lack of size not stopping him from averaging 20 a game multiple seasons on Bulls teams that made the playoffs. Their production both fell off of a cliff when they got paid well before their physical primes.

Reaction Score
Thabeet, Boone and Hilton lacked skills. Rudy has never played for a winner but he's been a pretty damn good player and Charlie showed a lot of talent and productivity, got paid and then stopped working as hard as he used to, same goes for Gordon. Charlie worked his butt off last offseason and was a productive player for Dallas last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom