Belmont | The Boneyard

Belmont

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
What's the deal with Belmont? The AP has them ranked, not even in the others receiving votes but 24th. They don't get a single vote in the coaches poll.

I think the coaches are right.

They've won something like 15 in a row but none of those wins are significant.

There "best" win came back in November against 52nd ranked Gonzaga.

They lost by 23 points to unranked Oklahoma. They lost by 10 to very unranked Wright State, and lost by 21 to Stanford a team that's looking decent now but wasn't looking so good in November.

Massey has them ranked as the 50th best team in the country which is a long, long way from the top 25.

I have nothing against the Belmont team. I ran into them in the hallway in a Las Vegas hotel, and they seem like nice kids but they don't seem like a ranked team.

They did win by more than 50 points against Trevecca Naz, But tell the truth have you ever heard of that team?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Maybe it just goes to show that the AP voters looks at the W-L record and then it stops there. I really don't know, though. Just throwin it out there...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This is a team that was a 13 seed in last year's NCAA tourney and lost to Kentucky in the first round 73-70, but it is hard to figure where the ranking came from, though it had a rather glitzy win over Vanderbilt (111-74). With a 2 game lead in the Ohio Valley Conference I suspect they will end up with an automatic bid to the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
The only thing I'll argue is the coaches poll - Belmont got 2 points, so they got either a 24th place vote or two 25th's.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Another team that should be receiving stronger consideration is Mercer. They actually have a better resume than Belmont at 23-2 with losses to Georgia and Miss St. They beat quite a few A-10 teams including GW and UNC-which isn't hard to do nowadays, unless your Duke...sorry Triad...

I am all for giving non-P5 schools a chance. I would rather see a South Dakota/South Dakota St/Stephen F Austin's get at large bids as the 2nd place in their conference with great records than the 5th/6th/7th place Big10/Big12 team...just sayin....

Sing it with me..."All we are saying, is give schools a chance..." Gotta love John Lennon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom