Bell NOT visiting anymore | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bell NOT visiting anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Confused about the SAT thing. Didn't he visit Oregon last week? He can go there, but can't visit us due to this test?! Can anyone explain the rule for visits or have we imposed a stricter code based on our recent APR failures??

Reaction Score
Confused about the SAT thing. Didn't he visit Oregon last week? He can go there, but can't visit us due to this test?! Can anyone explain the rule for visits or have we imposed a stricter code based on our recent APR failures??
It seems like Herbst has come up with a rule no official visits unless academically qualified due to our APR trouble.

Reaction Score
If your son has a choice between a few high major hoops programs, do you want your son to go to a program whose coach you’ve gotten to know is under contract to be there or the one who’s not?

I wish we were losing out to high major hoops programs. We just lost out to either Oregon (mediocre program in a horrific conference) or Auburn (abysmal program in a mediocre conference), with no extenuating circumstances like XRM's family connections to FSU.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Phoenix- how the hell does the staff not know the rule, when a kid is expected in a few days?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Phoenix- how the hell does the staff not know the rule, when a kid is expected in a few days?
Maybe they just found out he wouldn't qualify?

Reaction Score
It is an NCAA requirement:
From the 2011-12 NCAA Guide for the College-Bound Student-Athlete
"Official visit.
Any visit to a college campus by you and your parents paid for by the college. The college may pay all or some of
the following expenses:
• Your transportation to and from the college;
• Room and meals (three per day) while you are visiting the college; and
• Reasonable entertainment expenses, including three complimentary admissions to a home athletics contest.
Before a college may invite you on an official visit, you will have
to provide the college with a copy of your high school transcript
(Division I only) and ACT, SAT or PLAN score and register with the
NCAA Eligibility Center.

Virginia Tech's Official visit requirements state:
"(a) High school or secondary/preparatory school prospects: must present the institution with a score from a PSAT, SAT, PLAN, or ACT taken on a national resting (SIC) date under normal testing condition. The scores must be presented through a testing agency document, on an academic transcript, through the voice-automated testing agency system, or they can be confirmed through the NCAA Eligibility Center."

So, I guess a PSAT also counts? That seems strange to me, since it doesn't count for college admission.
Anyhow, you need an actual score on one of the exams to go on an Official Visit.
It is possible his transcript wasn't up to the standards (whatever they are) that are now in place.

Interesting that this was apparently scheduled and he didn't have a score.
Any visits to Auburn or Oregon must be unofficial (on his dime).

Reaction Score
On the one hand I am pissed we lost out on him, but on the other I undestand being very careful with academics of prospective players.

caw

Reaction Score
Well the simple answer would be Oregon was not an official then. If he hasn't taken the SAT's yet, he can't take an official.

Of course that confused me when it came to XRM who reportedly took officials to Illinois and FSU but hadn't taken the SAT's.

Reaction Score
Well the simple answer would be Oregon was not an official then. If he hasn't taken the SAT's yet, he can't take an official.

Of course that confused me when it came to XRM who reportedly took officials to Illinois and FSU but hadn't taken the SAT's.
Maybe XRM took ACTs or PSAT? just guessing...

Reaction Score
How is the water temperature in the deep end?

I suggest breathing slowly into brown paper bag.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I wish I could live in this magical Candy Land where everyone really, truly thinks someone with no head coaching experience is qualified to get a long-term contract the job because he was team captain in 1995.

It's a basketball program. Not a museum. If KO does a solid job, he will get a long-term deal. But not a moment before, NOR SHOULD HE.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I wish I could live in this magical Candy Land where everyone really, truly thinks someone with no head coaching experience is qualified to get a long-term contract the job because he was team captain in 1995.

It's a basketball program. Not a museum. If KO does a solid job, he will get a long-term deal. But not a moment before, NOR SHOULD HE.

Not sure where you have been living, but Kevin has done few a things since 1995. Saying that his only qualification is being team captain is one of the most ignorant things you've ever posted--and that's saying something.

Harping on the red herring of a long-term contract is further ignorant still. Two years with a buy-out would have avoided the problem. Thats not long term, but it's not debilitating either. That's why that's what the professionals in the business do. But insecure ADs from middle tier programs and their small-minded surrogates like you can't seem to grasp that.

If Kevin was qualified to get the interim job, he was qualified to get a two-year deal that didn't knee-cap him. If Manuel and people who support him like you don't think he was qualified, then Blaney or Hobbs should have gotten the interim position while a national search for your favorite up-and-comer du jour was conducted. This feel-good window dressing with a Mickey Mouse contract isn't helping anyone, least of all the program.

I am confident that Kevin will end up succeeding somewhere where he is appreciated. I am not confident that it will be here, or that our AD won't ruin the best program-building job in college basketball history in record time.

Reaction Score

It's really a simple explanation. Either some of the information that is being reported is incorrect or misunderstood.

No program is going to allow an official visit unless the recruit has proof he's taken his exam. It's an NCAA violation to do so. I'm a little surprised that many don't know about this rule since it comes up quite often in articles and such.

What I think confuses people is the media sometimes calls unofficial visits official. So if it's true that Bell did not have proof that he took one of the required exams such as the SATs any visits he did take were on his own dime. Sometimes these visits are paid for by someone other than the recruits parents or guardian which is a violation if caught. If Bell visited Oregon it was on his own dime, unless the SAT explaination of why he canceled is a bunch of BS, which wouldn't shock me since shortly after he canceled he cut UConn from his list.

Who knows. This ship has sailed, pun inteneded, and I've moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom