Belichick and Danny Hurley | The Boneyard

Belichick and Danny Hurley

Reaction Score
I'm a Denver Broncos fan, so I'm not reliving the Pats glory days with this topic.

I see some similarities with these two coaches/systems.

Even with poor draft slots in many of the years following super bowl wins, the Pats were able to find guys who fit the system and personality of the team. It was almost a more important attribute than physical dominance.

With Hurley, he always mentions a person's character. He always talks about culture. I know that this sounds like a platitude but with DH it's everything.

The reason I write this is that as fan base this should give us some breathing room during recruiting season. In the past we have salivated over a player's HS reels, only to lose the guy to another school and become depressed because of it.

Cam, Joey, Steph, Stewart, Jarra, R.J, T-Mart, Newton- these are all character guys. With the exception of Steph, the other guys were not big time, sought after recruits/ portal free agents.

No one has UConn's culture which should make findings hidden diamonds something we can expect year in year out.

Reaction Score
Culture or not, you need good players and you need outstanding assistant coaches who can recruit those players. The culture builds off of those luxuries and breeds success. When Kimani and Luke take HC jobs, Dan will have the opportunity to prove Belichick-like success.

Reaction Score
It's so cringey. It might be the worst of all the horrible BY nicknames

Diarra is a French translation of the clan name Jara used in West Africa, as a hangover from the French colonial empire in that region. It originates from the Bambara language word jara, meaning lion,[1] synonymous with waraba.[2]
I believe it was Brendan Haywood who belabored the point.

Reaction Score
If a coach produces victories he can have any culture he wants. He can have the players put on powdered wigs and claim that is the basis of their culture. If the coach produces victories the players will do it and love it. The common themes with winning teams are they have more talent, work harder and communicate better than their opponents. This is true regardless of sport.

Your culture can be outlaws like the old Raiders, or character guys like the Huskies, no facial hair like the Yankees, or beards like the Red Sox, Or bullies like the Flyers, or gentlemanly like Tony Dungy's Colts.

Win and the coach can have any culture he wants. Lose and you don't get to talk about your culture. The real common denominator for successful teams is talent, hard work and communication.

Reaction Score
If a coach produces victories he can have any culture he wants. He can have the players put on powdered wigs and claim that is the basis of their culture. If the coach produces victories the players will do it and love it. The common themes with winning teams are they have more talent, work harder and communicate better than their opponents. This is true regardless of sport.

Your culture can be outlaws like the old Raiders, or character guys like the Huskies, no facial hair like the Yankees, or beards like the Red Sox, Or bullies like the Flyers, or gentlemanly like Tony Dungy's Colts.

Win and the coach can have any culture he wants. Lose and you don't get to talk about your culture. The real common denominator for successful teams is talent, hard work and communication.
True. My supposition is that Hurley can take a non 5star, and turn him into someone who produces more than a 5 star who went to another school. So it opens up the the field.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Fair, there have been some pretty awful ones. This one is borderline insulting though
Why? As noted above, it is how the name is originally pronounced.

Reaction Score
Fair, there have been some pretty awful ones. This one is borderline insulting though
It's awful but we had people calling him and his brother Diarrhea and people thought they were cute with Akok Akok's name. He found it offensive enough he spoke up about it.

Reaction Score
Why? As noted above, it is how the name is originally pronounced.
Because it's not how he says it, and even if it was it's not how it's spelled. It's just weird

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Because it's not how he says it, and even if it was it's not how it's spelled. It's just weird
I don't know how long Hassan's family has been in the U.S. or how they actually pronounce their name at home. I just don't see why it would be insulting or weird given that is how the name Diarra is pronounced in Mali/Senegal/Guinea. The name Diallo is pronounced Jalloh as well. There's even an article Cartier Diarra from K State about how to pronounce his name.

Reaction Score
I don't know how long Hassan's family has been in the U.S. or how they actually pronounce their name at home. I just don't see why it would be insulting or weird given that is how the name Diarra is pronounced in Mali/Senegal/Guinea. The name Diallo is pronounced Jalloh as well. There's even an article Cartier Diarra from K State about how to pronounce his name.

Cool, I'm sure K State fans pronounce his name the way he pronounces it but that's not how Hassan and his family pronounce their name. You pronounce peoples names the way they pronounce their names, this shouldn't be difficult for you.

I fully believe LaPhonso thought that's how Diarra pronounced his name but we have our own fans knowingly pronouncing his name wrong, that's disrespectful.

Reaction Score
Cool, I'm sure K State fans pronounce his name the way he pronounces it but that's not how Hassan and his family pronounce their name. You pronounce peoples names the way they pronounce their names, this shouldn't be difficult for you.

I fully believe LaPhonso thought that's how Diarra pronounced his name but we have our own fans knowingly pronouncing his name wrong, that's disrespectful.
I completely understand your pov. There may be some, myself included, who never heard Hass say his own name, and after Ellis kept saying it, looked it up and saw that it is the west African pronunciation and thought it was cool to call him by what we thought was the real pronunciation. It doesn't mean anything derogatory and was not meant to harm. We love the guy.

Reaction Score
I completely understand your pov. There may be some, myself included, who never heard Hass say his own name, and after Ellis kept saying it, looked it up and saw that it is the west African pronunciation and thought it was cool to call him by what we thought was the real pronunciation. It doesn't mean anything derogatory and was not meant to harm. We love the guy.
That may be the case, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt there. I'm fairly confident in saying you know that his name is spelled Diarra though. And if you're convinced that's how he pronounces his last name then there's no need for a nickname, you can call him Diarra and say it how you think

Reaction Score
That may be the case, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt there. I'm fairly confident in saying you know that his name is spelled Diarra though. And if you're convinced that's how he pronounces his last name then there's no need for a nickname, you can call him Diarra and say it how you think
Fair assessment

Reaction Score
I'm Italian. Different family members pronounce our last name differently. Sometimes this results in arguments at family get togethers. For myself, I pronounce it how my father pronounced it but I don't care how anyone else pronounces it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom