Behind Cam Spencer’s unique family story | The Boneyard

Behind Cam Spencer’s unique family story

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony must be doing articles on all the players. This is his 3rd, after ones on Karaban and Clingan. This one is pretty long but nothing like the War & Peace version on Clingan from last week.

“I think it just depended on what his goals were, and he's got high goals," Pat Spencer said. "He won't be looked at as an NBA prospect, but there's a handful of guys at the next level — like Seth Curry, not Steph Curry, but Seth Curry — who play the right way, high IQ, shoot the cover off the ball and have an impact. I felt like the Big East and UConn would give him an opportunity to compete against more of an NBA style play, more NBA-caliber guards, guys that get up and down, a lot of pick and roll, a guard-heavy league. And, obviously, Hurley is a competitor and they’re coming off a national championship. So there were a lot of factors that went into choosing UConn, and that is nothing against Rutgers. It just seemed like a really good opportunity to be out in the market and get after it with UConn.”

Alternate access:

Behind UConn men’s basketball player Cam Spencer’s unique family story: ‘Competitive household’

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Like Hurley, Cam Spencer is hellbent on winning — even a 3-point shooting contest as part of the annual First Night celebration. After his blue team lost to the white team on Oct. 13 at Gampel Pavilion, Spencer was visibly irritated.
“That was crazy,” Hurley said. “That, I thought, was a little over the top. I tried to comfort him a little bit but he wanted nothing to do with me. He was just staring at the white team outside the huddle. [Assistant] Luke [Murray] has a picture of it, where I'm trying to console him. He's waving me off, get away. That guy’s shot.”

Kinda sounds like Cam might get himself more Ts than Ajax did. Danny might have calmed down a bit on the bench, but seems his personality will be on the court every night. MIght see a level of chippiness out there that finally starts getting college BB fans to start hating us the way everyone already hates Duke, lol.

Reaction Score
Kinda sounds like Cam might get himself more Ts than Ajax did. Danny might have calmed down a bit on the bench, but seems his personality will be on the court every night. MIght see a level of chippiness out there that finally starts getting college BB fans to start hating us the way everyone already hates Duke, lol.
You know how many technical fouls he's had called on him during his college career? Zero. As in nada. As in zilch. So I highly doubt he's going to go all crazy this season. He's a fierce competitor but he's obviously pretty level headed also.

Reaction Score

0 techs for his career. Exceptionally unlikely.

Reaction Score
Just listening to these player interviews.. all the players talk about how big a brand uconn is.. its amazing..Cam comes here from a big ten school because he wants to play under the big lights.. in basketball we are the brand and it’s just getting bigger

Reaction Score
this guy was the missing piece of this year's repeat final 4 puzzle. we are fully reloaded, which is really hard to do as we've seen over the last week, so let's take advantage.

Reaction Score
this guy was the missing piece of this year's repeat final 4 puzzle. we are fully reloaded, which is really hard to do as we've seen over the last week, so let's take advantage.
It's why I so badly want a healthy season. I think we have a legit shot to repeat. There's really no other great teams and I think we have a chance to be great this season. With this roster and this staff we can do it again and you just never know how many more of these chances you get.

Reaction Score
It's hilarious (but not surprising) how much this kid is being overlooked nationally. We're talking about a 13/4/3 player from a major conference who shot 43% from deep on volume. If he had committed to SJU, people would be talking about a potential CPOY.

Reaction Score
It's hilarious (but not surprising) how much this kid is being overlooked nationally. We're talking about a 13/4/3 player from a major conference who shot 43% from deep on volume. If he had committed to SJU, people would be talking about a potential CPOY.
I think it's a testament to how loaded we are. Karaban doesn't get talked about enough nationally either, neither does Newton. Our starting 5 is all of the highest quality player and there's a lot of upside on the bench.

Reaction Score
I think it's a testament to how loaded we are. Karaban doesn't get talked about enough nationally either, neither does Newton. Our starting 5 is all of the highest quality player and there's a lot of upside on the bench.

Our starters are going to be absurd. Bench has a lot of high ceiling, but unproven pieces.

We really just need 1 big and 1 guard to play to their potential off the bench and we'll be solid or better. Any more than that and we'll enjoy ourselves a nice Final Four run.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

Spencer is our only player not on a pre-season watch list. Had he been, we'd be the only school with all 5 starters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom