before you kill diaco | Page 3 | The Boneyard

before you kill diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I really don't understand why we so terrified about the idea of going to overtime. We needed to attempt the kick imo. The odds of making the kick may have been low but they were higher than any other alternatives there. The offense produced ZERO points in the last three quarters. This was our best/only chance at putting something on the board. ....that being said...if the heavens had lined up and that play actually worked we'd likely have a few sellouts over the next couple of games.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Everyone is talking about the last play, but the real issue was the missed extra point. We make that and there's no debate, we have a 42 yard FG with a chance to win the game.
I posted this elsewhere but does anyone believe Mizzou wouldn't have kicked what would have basically been an extra point if they were up 9-7 midway through the fourth quarter instead of going for it on fourth and goal from the two? If we made that extra point the situation would have been 12 - 7 and the only real difference would have been there would not have been a fake as we would have had no reason to send the field goal unit out.

Reaction Score
It was a really dumb call, I would have rather have died with just running a play or a poor FG attempt, but I'm so happy that our team is not a joke anymore. We've clearly stepped up our level of play compared to the past few years. Yeah the offense didn't too much, but it also didn't shoot us in the foot like past years. Would have loved for them to have a chance on that 4th.

Also can Tim Boyle just not throw another pass for us. Sorry.

Or "died" (or prospered) with a pass. That final drive with an empty backfield seemed to work pretty good.

Reaction Score
There was a lot of good coaching today. Diaco's defense was fantastic and the scheme totally shut down Missouri. The fake punt was a great call. I loved that the offense went to the empty set on the last series. It was like Rocky changing up and switching back to Southpaw in the last round, Missouri had no answers for it and couldn't adjust. If we don't get a holding call on the final drive, we are looking at 2nd and short instead of 2nd and 10 during that series. But the last call was hideous, it totally outshines Bob's work. Listen, we are recruiting well, we are playing good ball, our guys are bigger/stronger, our uniforms look great, and we have what looks to be a bright future. I'm not going to beat Diaco up. If you told me last week that we would be in this one and that we would have a chance down the stretch to win in, then I would have been out of my mind (happy). This team is so young, a lot of our play makers are sophomores. What I learned today was that our defense is damn good. They will keep us in most games this year, which makes us dangerous.

Unfortunately, the offense continues NOT TO BE ABLE TO SCORE. Too bad, defense was the best defense on that field yesterday.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
FfldCntyFan said:
I posted this elsewhere but does anyone believe Mizzou wouldn't have kicked what would have basically been an extra point if they were up 9-7 midway through the fourth quarter instead of going for it on fourth and goal from the two? If we made that extra point the situation would have been 12 - 7 and the only real difference would have been there would not have been a fake as we would have had no reason to send the field goal unit out.

Yet another way that ST screwed us over. If affected not only the scoreboard and field position, but it flummoxed the coach on the last drive. :p

Sidebar to the we are better than last year crowd: How could we not be and still put a team on the field. It was a good effort yesterday, but the progress-o-meter as of now is still hovering on, "Not embarrassing." Beat Navy at home and the turnaround sign can be fired up.

Reaction Score
I absolutely agree. And if anyone wants to argue this team has not gotten better, there is something seriously wrong with them.
...then there is something wrong with me! Yes the entire team improved. However, there are facets to this team that I have seen no movement on. Sure we have a better QB? But if that doesn't translate into offensive points....Who cares??? I am glad that we played with an outcome that shows we didn't defecate on ourselves but until I see scoring drives and a significant points total showing progression throughout the game than I don't see the blistering turn-around that some of you see. Call me an energy vampire if you want to, but not accepting mediocrity or better yet smashing the "Thanks for Participating Trophy" when it handed out is the only way to improve! I don't accept excuses, I do expect results. This game was a better outcome on several levels than I would have expected but on the score board where the offensive points are displayed...I saw NOTHING! Whether the score was 40-6 or 9-6, the consistent fact is we were 6. Think of our close scores in the "Big" Games...then tell me how this different?

Reaction Score
Our offensive with our new quarterback is much better than last year. Remember, we turn the ball over 28 times last year. You have to look at both sides of the score to evaluate our offensive. We are not going to score 40 points against a defense like the one Missouri put on the field Saturday. We are going to play good defense and make very few mistakes offensively and maybe win some low scoring games with this team. To expect more at this time is unrealistic.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Sometimes player performances are better indicators of future results than the final number on the scoreboard. More total yards and more play making ability will eventually lead to more points.

Regardless of Missouri not deserving to be ranked, they are still better than most (all?) of the teams remaining on our schedule. I don't think anyone is really predicting some scorching turnaround where UConn finishes 10-2, but hanging with a decent SEC team is an indicator that they can go 6-6 which seemed pretty far fetched after last year.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Think about it... All we needed was the 1st down, and going down the middle (Boyle to Bloom) made some sense on the fake. Especially when our kicking game was just simply atrioious Saturday. We need to seriously figure out if its going to be Talbot or Puyol taking kicks for us and stick to one of them, or we're going to keep losing these close games. We need kicking bad if we're going to have a defense first team and keep scores low.

Reaction Score
Sometimes player performances are better indicators of future results than the final number on the scoreboard. More total yards and more play making ability will eventually lead to more points.

Regardless of Missouri not deserving to be ranked, they are still better than most (all?) of the teams remaining on our schedule. I don't think anyone is really predicting some scorching turnaround where UConn finishes 10-2, but hanging with a decent SEC team is an indicator that they can go 6-6 which seemed pretty far fetched after last year.
I do agree with what you are saying, however, I am pointing out that even though we may be better at executing or better at not embarrassing ourselves, I don't feel that we have gotten better at scoring points! I say this because, we scored how many points when playing Villanova, playing Army??? We played a Missouri Team that had no Offense, and that is why the game was so low scoring, what happens when a Missouri D is coupled with a true offense??? Think we still score 6 points? Think we will look nearly as good. So we have much work to do. For four years I have been watching Defense, defense, defense. Going to the games to watch our defense play and hold the opposition. To see where we are winning to see when this team takes the field knowing that the score will not change until the third and fourth QTR only because they have been the team dominating the field presence. ...and when people were predicting we would win this game, I would love to hear the defense of scoring 6 points as being enough to capture the "W". I admit, I thought we would get blown out, I was expecting a lot more turn-over on downs. I hope that last play is not indicative of a foretelling of what is to come. But my frustration with the offense is the same. Yes better than last year, but how about from two years ago,...not so much. For four years, this team feels a loss under the "Big" Lights and then it takes several games to muster one more win. So, my expectations are low, I am happy that at least for this week, the Huskies are not the joke of football. But you can not seriously expect me to believe this team to be capable of scoreing. Certainly not against Navy and not against BYU. UCF has fallen so much but they may just be glad to have a trophy to play for in a few short weeks.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
As I saw it, Diaco had several choices, which I would rank in the following order:

1) Leave the offense on the field on 4th and 4
2) Attempt the Field Goal
3) Attempt a Statue of Liberty Play
4) Try a flea flicker
5) Run the weave
6) Picket fence
7) whatever crazy s*** Coach Boone called at the end of Remember the Titans
8) Steal home
9) Light self on fire
10) Crap his own pants
11) Try fake field goal with Boyle

It appears Diaco chose 9, 10 and 11.
This was actually funny. Well done.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
At Thursday's radio show, I am going to request we just go for 2 the rest of the year.

Reaction Score
...then there is something wrong with me! Yes the entire team improved. However, there are facets to this team that I have seen no movement on. Sure we have a better QB? But if that doesn't translate into offensive points....Who cares??? I am glad that we played with an outcome that shows we didn't defecate on ourselves but until I see scoring drives and a significant points total showing progression throughout the game than I don't see the blistering turn-around that some of you see. Call me an energy vampire if you want to, but not accepting mediocrity or better yet smashing the "Thanks for Participating Trophy" when it handed out is the only way to improve! I don't accept excuses, I do expect results. This game was a better outcome on several levels than I would have expected but on the score board where the offensive points are displayed...I saw NOTHING! Whether the score was 40-6 or 9-6, the consistent fact is we were 6. Think of our close scores in the "Big" Games...then tell me how this different?

Thanks Sherlock. You're right and everyone else is wrong. We should have demanded that we go from Old Dominion to Alabama all at once, instead of over a reasonable period of time.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thanks Sherlock. You're right and everyone else is wrong. We should have demanded that we go from Old Dominion to Alabama all at once, instead of over a reasonable period of time.

It's amazing the negativity.

UConn won the respect of people in Missouri, I can tell you that (from friends and family there). They opened some eyes of SEC fans. Some people went "whoa". Meanwhile, those kids earned a measure of self confidence that will carry forward. Playing straight up with nationally ranked SEC teams on the road, that isn't nothing. They know it. Coach knows it. Most of us know it. Recruits know it, and the football media knows it. Everybody but that guy apparently.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Bat Shot Bob -

He is our Bob.

His recruiting looks like a major improvement - his game day needs a lot of improvement. End of Army last, this year and now the 'I don't have confidence in the blocking for kicks so I will trot out the kick formation and throw with the cold QB, again.'

The kids played great.

Reaction Score
Bat Shot Bob -

He is our Bob.

His recruiting looks like a major improvement - his game day needs a lot of improvement. End of Army last, this year and now the 'I don't have confidence in the blocking for kicks so I will trot out the kick formation and throw with the cold QB, again.'

The kids played great.

Lolol.

I read the post game quotes and thought the same thing. Uh, Coach, if you didn't like the blocking in the middle, umm, why'd ya put the FG unit out there? Thanks for the laugh. He's a nutjob. But so far its working.

We're going to have a discipline test this weekend. I'm more excited for this game than I could have possibly imagined a month ago.

Reaction Score
Lolol.

I read the post game quotes and thought the same thing. Uh, Coach, if you didn't like the blocking in the middle, umm, why'd ya put the FG unit out there? Thanks for the laugh. He's a nutjob. But so far its working.

We're going to have a discipline test this weekend. I'm more excited for this game than I could have possibly imagined a month ago.

Yup. Here's the thing -- we don't know how good we are this year at the level we compete at. The wins against Army and 'Nova don't show me that there aren't still 90 teams better than us. The loss to MIzzou doesn't show me how many teams there are worse than us. Are we #50 -- which means having a chance to win the AAC -- or are we #90, which means desperately trying to scratch to 6 wins, or are we something in between?

Given how different we are from last year, I just dont' know. We may learn a lot more on Saturday.

Reaction Score

We went on the road to play an overrated but ranked SEC team, and just as easily could have won the game as lost it. Do we get credit for winning? Nope. At the end of the day, we weren't good enough to get it done. But if you're not jumping with joy at the year to year improvement, and realizing we wouldn't have stayed within 30 of them on the road last year, you're an idiot or a troll. Or, most likely, both.

Reaction Score
I swear Diaco is Schiano's clone. Same awful clock management. Same bizzare decisions. Tough tough way to lose. But we have a defense and I really like Shireffs. Guts and plays smart mostly. Behind a competent line he is really good I think.

Hopefully he can get us into the Big 10 also!

Reaction Score
Yup. Here's the thing -- we don't know how good we are this year at the level we compete at. The wins against Army and 'Nova don't show me that there aren't still 90 teams better than us. The loss to MIzzou doesn't show me how many teams there are worse than us. Are we #50 -- which means having a chance to win the AAC -- or are we #90, which means desperately trying to scratch to 6 wins, or are we something in between?

Given how different we are from last year, I just dont' know. We may learn a lot more on Saturday.

I've seen enough of 200 level Diaco defense to think that we're going to be able to hang with anybody in the AAC conference. We're going to get tested by some of the programs in our conference for sure, that are building offenses. Houston for example. Diaco is nothing, as I"Ve noted umpteen times if not eccentric, entertaining and very consistent and given the position he's gotten himself too in life, it goes to reason that everything about the guy suggests he's very intelligent, which means that when developing his plan for the UCONN program, he's looked at our conference competition and what it will be, and what we'll need to be on D to compete.

I agree that this week is a tough test. Navy plays a brand of football that forces you to be disciplined, or superior in physical matchups across the board - and if you are both, you can beat them pretty easily. Like Army - the best way to stop Navy's offense - is to keep them off the field. Unlike Army, Navy can play defense. I don't expect to roll up offense like we did against Army - but we might - who knows. No matter what - Bill Parcells old rule of thumb which is completely not based not any sort of valid mathematics is that for every 100 yards of positive field yardage - you should have 7 points. We need to get that kind of rule of thumb going with our offense.

We do that, and score when we need to, and we can win this game. Make less mistakes than they make.

Reaction Score
These are all on Diaco. The STs were a mess. That's not on the players, it's on the coach.

Ridiculous. Coaching deserves it's share of blame, especially if it doesn't get better. But at some point the players have to execute. Diaco didn't shank multiple punts, he didn't mess up a snap, didn't miss field goals, didn't hit the punt returner early twice. Maybe he needs to emphasize some of this stuff in practice more, or be more hands on, or change the players roles on special teams. Obviously something has to change, but that doesn't absolve players of responsibility.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm stunned that so many are putting more weight on the final play call than the successful effort it took to take this team from that SMU home game to the having a chance to win late on the SEC road. It's like they were just ready to go off the guy the first chance they got..

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I'm stunned that so many are putting more weight on the final play call than the successful effort it took to take this team from that SMU home game to the having a chance to win late on the SEC road. It's like they were just ready to go off the guy the first chance they got..

I see where you are coming from - we have made progress.

More weight, not necessarily.

Glaringly bad play call - every arm chair QB saw it that way and its hard to overlook. Not waiting to go off on the guy but his reason for not kicking and the play they ultimately ran makes no sense - and that happens often with Bob, not just on game day. And he would have gotten mucho kudos for winning.

The credit for the chance to win late goes to the kids - the credit of running the third fake ST play of the game goes to the coach.
That's the life of a coach and QB.

Reaction Score

I haven't seen that at all on the board. I see most posters ecstatic with the progress we've made and appropriately pissed off about the last play call.

Calling a fake FG there was beyond dumb, and Diaco deserves the criticism he's getting for it. But it doesn't mean we still can't be happy with the progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom