Been watching lots of Formula 1 instead of UConn | The Boneyard

Been watching lots of Formula 1 instead of UConn

Reaction Score
Mercedes is losing ground to Ferrari. Lots of team orders drama at Ferrari.

It’s good, not great but it’s better than anything UConn at the moment.

Thinking of taking the kids to Austin next month for the US Grand Prix. I used to spend that money on traveling to UConn games.

Reaction Score

Thinking of taking the kids to Austin next month for the US Grand Prix. I used to spend that money on traveling to UConn games.
That’s a bummer.

Reaction Score
Yawning

Ok I feel different if the cars were 100 yards away. Smells. Sounds. Heartbeat. But on TV?

Reaction Score
Yawning

Ok I feel different if the cars were 100 yards away. Smells. Sounds. Heartbeat. But on TV?

It’s experiential. Tv doesn’t do it justice, but I’ve been to enough of these in person to appreciate.

UConn football is like going to the dentist and then chewing rocks.

Reaction Score
Careful the moderators might see this post.

But the next few weeks UConn has a real chance.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
F1 is pretty abysmal this year. They like to create empty story lines.

UConn tailgating is better IMO.

Reaction Score

Hope this helps, don't let the door hit you on the way out... ;)

Reaction Score
F1 is pretty abysmal this year. They like to create empty story lines.

Watching Ferrari pull a Rutgers today was highly entertaining. Just a rare combination of gery and incompetence.

Reaction Score
F1 has strayed too far. Get rid of turbocharging, automatic transmissions, paddle shifters, fuel limits, regenerative braking, hybrid power, telemetry, all that crap.

Reaction Score
Never got into F1 despite living outside the States for extended periods, non-US friends who follow it closely, and going to several races in Asia and Europe, but have to acknowledge the parties, corporate boxes, etc aren’t awful.

Guess being a gear head helps enjoy any kind of auto race, but at least F1 races have more interesting curves than Indy, nascar, etc. I’d rather tailgate, then watch not so great to great football than any auto race.

Reaction Score
F1 has strayed too far. Get rid of turbocharging, automatic transmissions, paddle shifters, fuel limits, regenerative braking, hybrid power, telemetry, all that crap.

Get rid of the hybrids. But I like turbos because you get a smaller engine that still generates lots of power. Give me the 2.65 Liter turbos of CART that made 1000 HP and low downforce. That’s a formula that will separate the wheat from the chaff.

Reaction Score
Get rid of the hybrids. But I like turbos because you get a smaller engine that still generates lots of power. Give me the 2.65 Liter turbos of CART that made 1000 HP and low downforce. That’s a formula that will separate the wheat from the chaff.
Natural aspiration produces a much louder and purer sound. Nothing at all like the buzzing sound of today. There is simply nothing like the sound of a Ford Cosworth V8 or a Ferrari V-12.

It is also important to force the drivers to use a clutch, speed shift their own cars, and learn how to double clutch down shift using HNT.

Yeah, you can tell by my avatar that I am still living in the purist ancient times.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Natural aspiration produces a much louder and purer sound. Nothing at all like the buzzing sound of today. There is simply nothing like the sound of a Ford Cosworth V8 or a Ferrari V-12.

It is also important to force the drivers to use a clutch, speed shift their own cars, and learn how to double clutch down shift using HNT.

Yeah, you can tell by my avatar that I am still living in the purist ancient times.

I loved the way the Turbo Cosworth XFEs sounded. Plus a lighter engine means a lighter car, better power to weight ratio and in theory more agility and speed under braking.

I also like the way naturally aspirated scream that that V-12s made. I couldn’t stand the IRL NA engine s though.

The current F1 engines don’t sound right to me, and the IndyCar turbos also don’t sound big time enough for me.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
As Vettel went out of the race due to not being able to store power (K-something they said) he muttered to bring back the V12.
I watch F1 but dislike the lack of true racing up front, much like my issue with NASCAR. Positions change only on pit strategies and break downs, rarely on track performance.

Reaction Score

Are you Dorsey Schroeder? :)

I think that the driver aids are here to stay. We have driver aids in our street vehicles. It’s a reflection of the auto industry. Only NASCAR has been immune to that.

I am good with some driver aids if we reduce the downforce and increase HP. I think downforce is really what is ruining racing.

Reaction Score
I think downforce is really what is ruining racing.
Agreed. I want to see the cars sliding around and get the focus back on the driver. Maybe with all the chassis downforce now, it is time to get rid of wings? Not sure how you would ever get rid of chassis downforce unless you make a rule that all external body surfaces be convex.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I want to see the cars sliding around and get the focus back on the driver. Maybe with all the chassis downforce now, it is time to get rid of wings? Not sure how you would ever get rid of chassis downforce unless you make a rule that all external body surfaces be convex.

Not being an aerodynamicist, my opinion is really unearned. But maybe ban ground effects under the car.

They just need to do it in a way that doesn’t increase the likelihood of cars going airborne like we saw in Indy and Le Mans.

Reaction Score
Not being an aerodynamicist, my opinion is really unearned. But maybe ban ground effects under the car.

They just need to do it in a way that doesn’t increase the likelihood of cars going airborne like we saw in Indy and Le Mans.
That was my suggestion about making surfaces convex.

Reaction Score
That was my suggestion about making surfaces convex.

Now that this thread is in the pro sports board. We should get a Motorsport chat going.

What do you think of the Hypercar concept for WEC and Le Mans?

My opinion is that there will never be anything as cool as IMSA GTP from the ‘80s and ‘90s. I spent a few days of my childhood at Lime Rock watching those beasts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom