Becoming an AA-- is it outdated or in need of revisions? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Becoming an AA-- is it outdated or in need of revisions?

Reaction Score
I love Kia and she is integral to UConn's success. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Kia didn't make the All-Conference First Team for the American Conference. Now we might think that was an injustice but it is quite a leap to say that a second team all conference player should be a second or third team All-American.

I love the UConn women as much as the next Boneyarder but we have to have some perspective.
Joining a dead argument---it is not about Kia being anything in the AAC --probably not much about her vs Gabby or Saniya or Danger or Natalie---each in her own way is deserving of some level of recognition---in most cases they have to settle for us fans saying how much we respect their game.
You of course are technically correct---don't fault us for thinking Kia is our Canadian All American.
When it comes to perspective--after UConn , who started with the WBB world thinking Uconn a near bottom feeder, is NOW seeking the NC in the Final 4
the perspective is : Look where we are now and look at who got us here!! If that ain't All American material--I'll eat my bacala! (I write em, I don't have to understand them)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Big O---she may tweet that 30 times a day---I want to see the tweet after the award was given. I have seen yea many individuals in line for an award--speaking about how meaningless and near worthless the award was---then got it ---the tune changed and the glow began.
Don't always accept what a tweet or spoken words mean --often they cover a lot of emotions.
Now if the spoke of not wanting it after she got it---I want to see that tweet---I won't accept--my team mates deserve this more than I--that's comment is written on a Ethiopian graves site some where

How about this (from ND's press conference after the loss to Stanford):

upload_2017-3-29_14-49-57.png

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
AA teams are GREAT! They get the vote so right!

(Gabby 1st team WBCA AA team announcement just came out!)

:cool:

On wanting and valuing individual awards and filling stat sheets and being the star - hmmm, doesn't sound like a Uconn kind of a recruit, to me! :eek::) At least that is what I hear whenever we miss out on a recruit that has those kinds of goals, or might be suspected of having them! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
How about this (from ND's press conference after the loss to Stanford):

View attachment 21231
Regional award---that speech is almost a canned speech used after a top teams top player talks about not winning the region--
It is read and said so often it near trite. But your point of "all" awards are not acknowledged to the public is true , I'm sure the joy is private. Especially as in the ND region as a team should feel they don't deserve the award--up by 15 or more and draining unusual numbers of 3's could not contain Stanford a few minutes--a player in a low emotional state--saying those words--What was she to say: I'm the greatest? Hardly.
Thanks for pulling that up---I didn't know who got the Regional Player award there. Thanks.

Reaction Score
AA teams are GREAT! They get the vote so right!

(Gabby 1st team WBCA AA team announcement just came out!)

:cool:

On wanting and valuing individual awards and filling stat sheets and being the star - hmmm, doesn't sound like a Uconn kind of a recruit, to me! :eek::) At least that is what I hear whenever we miss out on a recruit that has those kinds of goals, or might be suspected of having them! :rolleyes:
????? WBCA AA team is the HOH biggie, but don't think they announce it til April 1

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Impressive but contextual. Again, I can't help but be impressed with what she does on the court but I just don't think it translates to 2nd team AA..
Did you also think that Courtney Paris of Oklahoma was undeserving of All-American honors?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A pointless point, at best. I offered an opinion, you felt otherwise, leave it at that, OK?
This is the thing about a discussion board. When one proffers an opinion, others are free to disagree. When one proffers an explanation of one's opinion, others are free to disagree with that explanation as well. It doesn't make either's postings "bait" or "pointless."

Reaction Score
Knew I would be misunderstood. I only mentioned that in the context of the OP's question. I want Kia to get some individual award because though the Sophomores have grown up quick and Gabby is Gabby, she's key to the way this starting 5 ran all year. Totally agree we have to have perspective and we cannot see 5 AA teams 15. Or 15 Regional AAs on 4 teams, then 1 "real" AA team of 10 or some other whacked format so "everybody gets a trophy."

Yes, the same here. While I mentioned Kia, I did so in the context of thinking how a player's worth to a team (for all I know she may have sacrificed scoring, etc) should be rewarded. That she is not an AA doesnot bother me in the main, but I am curious about how we evaluate and (not)reward like players. Nor am I for jettisoning the AA thing. However, given the talent level across the board and on any given team, I would not be taken back if a player-- let us say Chong-- transfer to another school and easily put up 25pts, 4 steals, etc., and be in the running for AA. Perhaps the conference coaches should fight over which players deserve such consideration and, a national comm makes the final selection.

Reaction Score
This is the thing about a discussion board. When one proffers an opinion, others are free to disagree. When one proffers an explanation of one's opinion, others are free to disagree with that explanation as well. It doesn't make either's postings "bait" or "pointless."
then tell me what the relevance is to bringing Paris's name into the discussion?

Reaction Score
Comparable type of player, comparable stats.
To some degree maybe but I don't ever recall Paris camping out by the 3 point line and taking 3 pointers, in fact she may never have taken a 3 pointer in her collegiate career. Paris for the most part spent her time with her back to the basket, not so for Osahor.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
To some degree maybe but I don't ever recall Paris camping out by the 3 point line and taking 3 pointers, in fact she may never have taken a 3 pointer in her collegiate career. Paris for the most part spent her time with her back to the basket, not so for Osahor.

Osahor shot 37% from 3 this season, which is pretty decent.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just a suggestion to both of you - let it die. It is sort of a boring thread at this point.

Reaction Score
the rules are outdated. i say make a list of the top 15 players and make them all AAs.
I think "first team" should be top 5 only, but consisting of 2 or 3 guard/wings and 2 or 3 post players To me 10 is borderline "participation trophies" and 15 is beyond borderline. All-America should mean "the best", not "really good player" or "3rd best at her position."

Reaction Score
I think "first team" should be top 5 only, but consisting of 2 or 3 guard/wings and 2 or 3 post players To me 10 is borderline "participation trophies" and 15 is beyond borderline. All-America should mean "the best", not "really good player" or "3rd best at her position."
i get your point but it's all too subjective and i think it disadvantages players who don't play for the best teams. i also think it hurts players who, like williams, gets put on 2nd team b/c of position.

Reaction Score
i get your point but it's all too subjective and i think it disadvantages players who don't play for the best teams. i also think it hurts players who, like williams, gets put on 2nd team b/c of position.
Ya that makes sense. I'm good with the 10-player teams. But I think to be thought of as the "best", you should make your case strongly enough where nobody can argue, or else live with however the subjectivity comes out.

Reaction Score
Whenever a Committee decides anything politics break out. Considerations of region and conference, at least, intrude. Kia was more than a little slighted and there are others for all I know who fall in that category. Doris was talking Kia too in the telecast of the Oregon game. Kia is a Nat'l Hero in Canada and I'm sure they are spitting some nails. All NCAA team selection would help. The confusing array of AA teams and POYs, etc., just the nature of modern sports marketing/promotion. But, gotta hold the line on "everybody gets a trophy" syndrome.

Kia is a national treasure

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom