Becky Hammon to coach a college team...the men? | The Boneyard

Becky Hammon to coach a college team...the men?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
She is currently an assistant with the San Antonio Spurs....and was head coach of their
summer league team in 2015. ESPN had a crawl which suggested that several college teams
have offered her their head coaching job....of their men's team.

She would be a fascinating hire...would get tremendous buzz initially.
No specific schools were listed.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Becky Hammond is Basketball. She has played at several levels. She knows X's & O's. She has learned how to teach and communicate with younger players both men and women.

If I'm a AD, and I'm looking for a head coach, be it for my men's or women's team, I want the best coach for my program that I can hire. If in my professional opinion, Hammond is the best available coach on the market, I'm going to try and

hire her by making her an offer she would have great difficulty in refusing. I'm not going to give away the farm, but I'm going to offer her a contract that is currently commensurate with what other coaches at the same level is making she is being

courted for. I'm NOT going to offer her a salary that is insulting or under value. That compensation package would be the same as if I were offering it to a male coach.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
She may be exactly what the Missouri men's team needs after being laughable ever since Norm retired. Would love to see her get a shot when Anderson gets booted. Could she do it? Yes. She certainly knows her X's and O's. Her only difficulty might be in recruiting BUT every baller in TX knows about Becky. I don't know whether or not a conservative school like Mizzou would even consider a female, though, and will probably hire another dud when the time comes.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I really don't get all of this Becky Hammon love? She was a marginal WNBA player at best, she couldn't make any of the U.S. National teams because she wasn't good enough, so she used a technicality to go play for Russia in the Olympics in 08 and 12. Popovich hires her for one season so now she's ready to coach at the D-1 Mens' level? Based on what exactly?

Reaction Score
I really don't get all of this Becky Hammon love? She was a marginal WNBA player at best, she couldn't make any of the U.S. National teams because she wasn't good enough, so she used a technicality to go play for Russia in the Olympics in 08 and 12. Popovich hires her for one season so now she's ready to coach at the D-1 Mens' level? Based on what exactly?
She will work for 70% of what they would pay a man. :confused:

Reaction Score
Based on this:

• Jersey retired by Colorado State University
  • Won the NWBL Championship with the Colorado Chill
  • Named to All WNBA 2nd Team

• Won 2nd NWBL Championship with the Colorado Chill
  • Named NWBL MVP

• Won World League Championship with CSKA
  • Named to All WNBA 1st Team

• Led the San Antonio Silver Stars to the best record in the WNBA and to San Antonio's first ever Western Conference Championship
  • Made the Guinness World Record for Most Free Throws Made in a Minute (women’s category) after hitting 38 of 42 attempts in the allotted 60 seconds on February 16 at the NBA All-Star Jam Session
  • Voted into Euroleague All-Star Game
  • Won the Cup of Russia with CSKA
  • Silver Medalist in the Russian League Championships
  • Won the 2008 Haier Shooting Stars Competition along with David Robinson and Tim Duncan
  • Chosen as Athlete of the Year by the Rapid City Journal

• Voted into the EuroLeague All-Star Game
  • Won the EuroLeague All-Star 3 Point Shoot Out
  • Voted into the WNBA All-Star Game
  • Won the WNBA All-Star Game 3 Point Shoot Out
  • Named to the All WNBA 1st Team

• Voted into the 2010 EuroLeague All-Star Game (Did not play)
  • Won the 2010 Haier Shooting Stars Competition at the NBA All-Star Weekend with Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Smith
  • Inducted into the South Dakota High School Basketball Hall of Fame
  • Named to the WNBA All-Star Game (Did not play due to injury)

• Named to the WNBA's exclusive Top 15 Players of All Time list

• Top vote getter for the Silver Stars All-Decade Team

• After suffering a broken finger during a pre-season practice, Hammon made her 2013 WNBA season debut in Los Angeles on July 6
  • Hammon tore her ACL on July 13 and missed the remainder of the season

• On July 23, Hammon announced that she will retire at the end of the 2014 season
  • On August 5, it was announced that Hammon will serve as assistant coach of the NBA San Antonio Spurs
  • On August 22, Hammon was award the Kim Perrot Sportsmanship Award[15]
  • ESPNW Woman of the Year [16]

• Won NBA Summer League Championship coaching the San Antonio Spurs Summer League Team

mr006

Reaction Score

Some of the better coaches in sports were marginal players...

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Based on this:

• Jersey retired by Colorado State University
  • Won the NWBL Championship with the Colorado Chill

• Won 2nd NWBL Championship with the Colorado Chill
  • Named NWBL MVP

• Won World League Championship with CSKA
  • Named to All WNBA 1st Team

• Led the San Antonio Silver Stars to the best record in the WNBA and to San Antonio's first ever Western Conference Championship
  • Made the Guinness World Record for Most Free Throws Made in a Minute (women’s category) after hitting 38 of 42 attempts in the allotted 60 seconds on February 16 at the NBA All-Star Jam Session
  • Voted into Euroleague All-Star Game
  • Won the Cup of Russia with CSKA
  • Silver Medalist in the Russian League Championships
  • Won the 2008 Haier Shooting Stars Competition along with David Robinson and Tim Duncan
  • Chosen as Athlete of the Year by the Rapid City Journal

• Voted into the EuroLeague All-Star Game
  • Won the EuroLeague All-Star 3 Point Shoot Out
  • Voted into the WNBA All-Star Game
  • Won the WNBA All-Star Game 3 Point Shoot Out
  • Named to the All WNBA 1st Team

• Voted into the 2010 EuroLeague All-Star Game (Did not play)
  • Won the 2010 Haier Shooting Stars Competition at the NBA All-Star Weekend with Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Smith
  • Inducted into the South Dakota High School Basketball Hall of Fame
  • Named to the WNBA All-Star Game (Did not play due to injury)

• Named to the WNBA's exclusive Top 15 Players of All Time list

• Top vote getter for the Silver Stars All-Decade Team

• After suffering a broken finger during a pre-season practice, Hammon made her 2013 WNBA season debut in Los Angeles on July 6
  • Hammon tore her ACL on July 13 and missed the remainder of the season

• On July 23, Hammon announced that she will retire at the end of the 2014 season
  • On August 5, it was announced that Hammon will serve as assistant coach of the NBA San Antonio Spurs
  • On August 22, Hammon was award the Kim Perrot Sportsmanship Award[15]
  • ESPNW Woman of the Year [16]

• Won NBA Summer League Championship coaching the San Antonio Spurs Summer League Team
If I had the time and energy, I'd post the career stats of Katie Smith, Cynthia Cooper or 4 or 5 UConn alums that would be superior in every respect to Hammons, but good job using wikipedia....

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Seriously? If she's proven herself worthy of getting hired by one of the top NBA teams in history, and becoming the first woman to do so in the league, I'd say she's worthy of a lot of love. And there's no way that it was a publicity stunt, Popovich just wants to win. She's a true trailblazer. I saw her play a bunch in college because back then they were in the WAC with SMU, and she was my favorite player. She's so smart on the court, and played like a player-coach out there.

Reaction Score
If I had the time and energy, I'd post the career stats of Katie Smith, Cynthia Cooper or 4 or 5 UConn alums that would be superior in every respect to Hammons, but good job using wikipedia....

The important items are the last 2 that NO ONE has:

She was hand-picked as an assistant to one of the best, if not the best NBA coach.
She also won the NBA summer league championship on her first attempt.

I don't see Katie Smith, Cynthia Cooper or any UConn alums having that distinction. They may be superior to you or some casual fans but not in the eyes of the pros: Greg Popovich and the Spurs players who have great respect for her bb knowledge.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

The only reason Popovich hired her was that he thought she could help him win. Pop has no social agenda or charitable motive. Just win, baby.

Reaction Score
Becky Hammond is Basketball. She has played at several levels. She knows X's & O's. She has learned how to teach and communicate with younger players both men and women.

If I'm a AD, and I'm looking for a head coach, be it for my men's or women's team, I want the best coach for my program that I can hire. If in my professional opinion, Hammond is the best available coach on the market, I'm going to try and

hire her by making her an offer she would have great difficulty in refusing. I'm not going to give away the farm, but I'm going to offer her a contract that is currently commensurate with what other coaches at the same level is making she is being

courted for. I'm NOT going to offer her a salary that is insulting or under value. That compensation package would be the same as if I were offering it to a male coach.

The BIG MONKEY has been lifted from the back of AD's looking to hire men's coaching. She has a proven track record. The "BEST on the market" was a sneaky way of avoiding Geno--sneaky!!
I think it would be great for the GAME of BB in general if she were hired for a MENS team. The PR for the team would be of it's own making--initially every Sports news service would be touting her hiring.
In the REAL WORLD Money makes the World go around--and investors look at the bottom line--and winning is everything
so Management will hire the person who can make them and keep them winners... That's the American WAY>>>
Becky was good enough for the Russians and they like the USA always field top players and hate to lose...

Reaction Score

She was hand-picked as an assistant to one of the best, if not the best NBA coach.

I don't see Katie Smith, Cynthia Cooper or any UConn alums having that distinction. They may be superior to you or some casual fans but not in the eyes of the pros: Greg Popovich and the Spurs players who have great respect for her bb knowledge.
I personally think Shea has the skills to teach Men basketball or enhance their already high level skills---the questions are : 1. Does she want to 2. Can she make men listen to her Except for making money for the Teams investors owners nothing else matters.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score

Popovich hand-picked Mike Budenholzer who now coach's the ATL Hawks and Brett Brown who coach's the 76ers, how's that working out? But I guess I should defer to a BB savant like yourself, me being a casual fan and all.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There have certainly been a lot of less qualified candidates hired to coach, but if I were hiring for a men's or women's team I would prefer a little experience at the college level - running a college program and recruiting players is a lot different from being an assistant on a pro team, and winning a D-league title in the summer.

Reaction Score
Popovich hand-picked Mike Budenholzer who now coach's the ATL Hawks and Brett Brown who coach's the 76ers, how's that working out? But I guess I should defer to a BB savant like yourself, me being a casual fan and all.

Now with more experience, he picked the right one.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Well, Atlanta has made the playoffs (including the conference finals) every year Mike's been the coach, so I'd say pretty well?

As for Philly, that situation has way more to do with mismanagement of draft picks by ownership than it does coaching. But considering both those hires landed head jobs in the NBA, as well as helped Popovich win five (in Brett's case four) championships..I fail to see how those can be considered failures by Popovich?

Reaction Score
I think Hammon has a lot of potential as a coach at any level but that's all it is, potential. This NBA connection means nothing. College and the NBA are two totally different animals. The NBA is a players league. It's also a copycat league where most of the teams play a similar, pick and roll offense as the rest of the teams. It's all about getting the players to play every night. The coaches are at the mercy of the top players. NBA coaches can be real good in one place and nothing in another. Chuck Daly was a good coach with great players in Detroit and rides it into the HOF. George Karl is real good in a couple places and ridden out of town by petulant kids in Sacramento. College coaching on the men's side is all recruiting and holding the NBA carrott. IMO, on the women's side it's more recruiting, honesty, building relationships, and being able to improve your players especially over their first couple years so that they can really run your system over a long term. IMO, Popovich would have done nothing with teams like the current NJ Nets, Knicks, and Sixers because management doesn't provide talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom