Becky Hammon on Kiah | The Boneyard

Becky Hammon on Kiah

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
One of the most selfless players I have ever been around,” Hammon said of Stokes. “She’s not good defensively, she’s like elite defensively. She is elite. And so her ability to alter shots but also guard littles on the perimeter is a luxury (because) we can play with lineups.

“But having Candace Parker come in and moving her to the bench after she just helped win us a championship and have her be accepting of that role speaks to her character and how badly she wants to win. And a lot of times players might give you a little grief as a head coach, but she’s just the ultimate pro, like she’s just — Kiah’s something special
.”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One of the most selfless players I have ever been around,” Hammon said of Stokes. “She’s not good defensively, she’s like elite defensively. She is elite. And so her ability to alter shots but also guard littles on the perimeter is a luxury (because) we can play with lineups.

“But having Candace Parker come in and moving her to the bench after she just helped win us a championship and have her be accepting of that role speaks to her character and how badly she wants to win. And a lot of times players might give you a little grief as a head coach, but she’s just the ultimate pro, like she’s just — Kiah’s something special
.”

Because Kiah is one of my 3 “all-time“ favorite UConn WBB players, you know I’m loving this. This means Kiah is viewed as a valuable asset to the coaching staff and her teammates, and that she should be a member of the Aces for the foreseeable future. :cool:

When Kiah was released from the Liberty 2 years ago, she was immediately picked up by the Aces. Now we see why.

Reaction Score
Becky Hammon is one very smart cookie! Not only does she call it as she sees it, she knows how and when to praise a starter who she has just sent to the bench. Few coaches have and/or demonstate that ability. I believe she will get an NBA gig soon.

Reaction Score
Because Kiah is one of my 3 “all-time“ favorite UConn WBB players, you know I’m loving this. This means Kiah is viewed as a valuable asset to the coaching staff and her teammates, and that she should be a member of the Aces for the foreseeable future. :cool:

When Kiah was released from the Liberty 2 years ago, she was immediately picked up by the Aces. Now we see why.
Ditto!

Reaction Score
Like Coach Hammon's said, this just speaks volumes about Kiah and her character. Not many players, especially if they were starters, would deal well with being pushed to the bench. I always love players that embrace being apart of that 2nd Unit. Kiah is a rare person and I applaud her unselfishness.

Reaction Score
Kiah has a special ability to get her hand between the ball and the basket. Sometimes she actually touches the ball for a counted block, but even when she doesn’t make contact she still alters the shot. She seems to keep 5-15 opponent points off the scoreboard in virtually every game. I’m glad that she landed with a team that values her skills.

Reaction Score
At the time I referred to her as the best Defender UCONN ever had during her senior year. Granted she wasn't guarding guards but the point was her defense was amazing amazing in the 3 second lane area. In that area alone she was amazing. Also, it was a travesty she was picked late.

She got an incredibly bad wrap because she wasn't a scorer (similar to now with the thread on Muhl many fans only want to look at scoring and believe great defense is easily replaceable.). Even on here Kiah didn't get the respect she should have. She was a good player that came out of UCONN.

Player' like Kiah and Nika aren't near as appreaciated as they should be. All because someone sees a flashy crossover on youtube. And I prefer Offense but Kiah was just tremendous defensively her sr year. An enormous joy to watch even for someone like me that loves Offense. I was a huge fan of her Defense. But players like Kiah, like Nika, like Aubrey, they are terrfic in their unique way too.

Reaction Score
She is a perfect fit for the Aces. They really do not need a scorer on the court. They have enough of them so she can do what she does best.

Reaction Score
She was always the fixer for Geno. Getting outrebounded? Put her in. Opponent getting too many baskets in the paint? Put her in. Opponent trying to get physical? Put her in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom