Becky Hammon finalizing deal to coach Las Vegas Aces | The Boneyard

Becky Hammon finalizing deal to coach Las Vegas Aces

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Good. Still keeps her in play to be geno’s successor at some point. ;)

(She would be my top choice at this point) and I think anything less than an nba job keeps her at least considering it is is.

But good for her.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Wow! Laimbeer was successful w/ Vegas, but it seems like he wasn't always utilizing his roster to the best of their abilities maybe. She certainly has a team built to win now.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Damn. I hate when a team I hate gets a coach/person I like. :confused:

I really thought she should have stood her ground in the NBA. Hard to imagine the financial package pf Vegas is so much better than the top assistant with the Spurs

Reaction Score
Now that the Liberty lost out on the Hammon sweepstakes what’s next for New York?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What happened to Laimbeer? Did he retire? Get let go?
He seems like a coach that comes in, gets good results quickly and perhaps gets bored (or his players get bored by him)?_I just think he stepped down. I am guessing he wants to get back to the NBA is some coaching capacity. The current Pistons could benefit.

Reaction Score
Too bad. Thought she had a real shot at an nBA job. Can only wonder if she concluded that she didn’t.

A bunch of women who were in the NBA have reversed course — Hammon, KLaw, Gottlieb, Ivey.

Down to 6 — led by Boucek, Harding, Toliver.,

Reaction Score
Too bad. Thought she had a real shot at an nBA job. Can only wonder if she concluded that she didn’t.

A bunch of women who were in the NBA have reversed course — Hammon, KLaw, Gottlieb, Ivey.

Doesn’t preclude her from some day being an NBA coach. If she’s successful with the Aces, she will have head coaching experience on her resume to take into future NBA interviews. Eventually Popovich will step down and I’m sure the Spurs will have her near the top of their HC candidates list.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Hard to fault Lawson or Ivey, both of whom took over big time programs and are likely getting a fat pay day as a result.

Hammon's is a bit of a surprise since she seemed well positioned to become the first female head coach in the NBA. Looks like she got herself a payday too but I have no idea how that compares to being a top NBA assistant or an NBA head coach. I can't imagine it's comparable, but maybe she's using this to prove herself as a headcoach for a year or 2 before throwing her name in the hat for an NBA gig.

Reaction Score
Damn. I hate when a team I hate gets a coach/person I like. :confused:

I really thought she should have stood her ground in the NBA. Hard to imagine the financial package pf Vegas is so much better than the top assistant with the Spurs
Rumored to be starting at $700,000 a year.

Reaction Score
Is that normal for the W? I would’ve guessed coaches made <1/2 that.
Great question. I guess it would depend on, like most jobs, your experience level. Coach Reeves (Minnesota Lynx) is around the $1.5 million mark. But she is also GM so that might have an additional perk to it.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Hard to fault Lawson or Ivey, both of whom took over big time programs and are likely getting a fat pay day as a result.
It's hard to fault them individually, but on a structural level, and from a gender equality perspective, it's a huge letdown that the NBA's concerted effort to open its coaching ranks to women has been "rewarded" with major defections within as little as one year.

Reaction Score
It's hard to fault them individually, but on a structural level, and from a gender equality perspective, it's a huge letdown that the NBA's concerted effort to open its coaching ranks to women has been "rewarded" with major defections within as little as one year.
The issue is that we don't know how this really goes day-to-day. So much gets put out in the media by these large organizations just to save face. If Hammon, or others, didn't feel like the words were matching the actions - why stay? It's not incumbent on women, who did nothing to create this system, to "reward" the NBA for anything. I'm not saying the reasons are these, but basically, it doesn't matter. Women owe the NBA absolutely nothing for just doing the right thing. Instead, I hope the NBA is asking themselves WHY all the defections are happening.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

No it’s not.

They’re using their time as an nba asst to get head coaching gigs.

Just like men

Reaction Score
So women are supposed to let real job opportunities go by to be loyal to an organization who has thrown out token jobs for them? I don't understand that view AT ALL.

Plebe

Reaction Score
So women are supposed to let real job opportunities go by to be loyal to an organization who has thrown out token jobs for them? I don't understand that view AT ALL.
Well, that's certainly a tendentious interpretation of what I said. In one single sentence you've managed to mischaracterize my position in at least three different ways.

It's great you have an opinion and all, but don't make me your straw man.

Plebe

Reaction Score
No it’s not.

They’re using their time as an nba asst to get head coaching gigs.

Just like men
Since you seem so well informed, what are the statistics on male coaches who have used NBA assistant positions as a springboard into college head coaching positions? I'm genuinely curious. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Good for her, but I don't understand the high salary. She hasn't proven anything as a head coach, and her pick as an NBA assistant was very Kamala like. Me thinks it is a kick in the arse to many successful, veteran, WNBA coaches.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom