Becky Hammon Doesn't Get Bucks' Coaching Job | The Boneyard

Becky Hammon Doesn't Get Bucks' Coaching Job

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I don't know if Colorado State actually offered her the men's job there [her alma mater] ...did they?
Did she turn it down? The jump to a head coaching job of men for women is near....imo...but to a college job not the NBA.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
By all accounts, Hammon is a talented young coach, and she’s learning from the best. However, I think it’s time she takes a risk, accepting a head job somewhere, in order to establish her head coaching credentials. If she ultimately wants to be a HC in the NBA, she first needs to be a successful HC anywhere.

Reaction Score
This was a pretty historic moment. Glad that the Bucks gave Becky an interview. Some folks were calling it a token interview. Whatever! Becky, from some reports, was impressive and really did well in the interviewing process. Tip my hat to the Bucks hiring group. Shows that their organization is pretty forward thinking and willing to hire, or interview, the best of the best.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
A superior coach got the job.

Bud won 60 games with the freaking hawks.

The dude can absolutely coach.

He turned the hawks around and they only bottomed out this year when they were dismantled in FA over the past 2 years (losing Howard, Horford, Teague and Milsap over that time). That's a lot of talent to lose.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why?
While, I suppose it’s possible for Hammon to put in her years and some day become a top assistant to Pop, or some other coach, perhaps giving her the opportunity to ultimately become a HC in the NBA, that’s a remote scenario imo.

Unfortunately, I believe many NBA owners and GM’s are reluctant to hire a woman as there HC, no matter how qualified she may be. For the most part, NBA coaches are a fraternity of ex-players and longtime assistants who look out for each other.

The path I have in mind for Hammon would be similar to the Celtics fantastic HC Brad Stevens. Stevens played basketball for a small college, then worked for a pharmaceutical company, became a volunteer assistant at mid-major Butler, ultimately became their HC, where he lead them on an improbable run to the National Championship game.

The Celtics Danny Ainge noticed and eventually hired Stevens as his HC, which generated considerable skepticism among NBA pundits. Despite losing his two top players this year, Stevens has his team on the verge of playing for the NBA championship. Despite his tremendous success this season, Stevens did not receive a single vote from his fellow NBA coaches for Coach of the year.

The NBA is an old boy network to some degree. They don’t want to be embarrassed by someone like Hammon proving to be a better coach then they are. For someone like Hammon to break into the club sooner, rather than later, she needs to do something incredible, preferably as a HC, so that someone like Danny Ainge takes notice.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I am still happy for Becky Hammon, because she was a consideration for a Head Coaching position in the NBA.

I''d wager a guess that she wasn't actually "considered" for the job.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Sources: Budenholzer to become Bucks' coach

It wasn't expected, as she has no head coaching experience at any level and is not yet actually an "on the bench" assistant for San Antonio.

The other finalist for the job, San Antonio Spurs assistant Ettore Messina, was informed that he was out of the running on Wednesday, league sources said.

I take it they really wanted a Popovich disciple for this job.

the Q

Reaction Score
I''d wager a guess that she wasn't actually "considered" for the job.

She wasn't even the top Spurs asst being considered for the job.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The NBA is an old boy network to some degree.

It is but you also have some ownership groups (like the Bucks') that are hedge fund or tech guys who love to prove how smart they are and get their kicks by being a "disruptor". The Kings owner, for example, has already proven that he doesn't care what anyone thinks and is willing to buck conventional wisdom. I could see that kind of organization taking a chance on Hammon because if it works they look like visionaries.

Husky25

Reaction Score
She wasn't even the top Spurs asst being considered for the job.
So essentially she was Rooney Ruled. Shouldn't that probably be the story instead of the feel good puffery that it's such a huge step forward by being interviewed?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
So essentially she was Rooney Ruled. Shouldn't that probably be the story instead of the feel good puffery that it's such a huge step forward by being interviewed?

Except there is no equivalent rule. They didn't have to interview her. Even if it was just a PR move, she still gets the experience of interviewing which may serve her well down the road when she is a more serious candidate.

Idk about a step forward it is still a positive for her, personally.

Reaction Score
It might, except there is no ‘rule’ in this case. So no mandate, or even pressure, to interview a woman candidate as there is with minority candidates in the NFL.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I don’t see her getting hired by an NBA team to be HC anytime in the next 5 years even if she’s qualified and one of the best candidates. Unfortunately, I think this was 100% a PR move by the Bucks. I think it’d be in Becky’s best interest to try for a men’s college head coaching job and prove herself at a lower level first. I just don’t see an NBA franchise hiring a woman with no head coaching experience as a head coach. Maybe if she becomes Pop’s top assistant for several years, but even then I think she has an uphill battle. I guess we’ll see what happens. I hope she gets her shot though, I think she’ll be great wherever she goes.

the Q

Reaction Score
I bet Herbst has her high on her list for Geno's successor.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Except there is no equivalent rule. They didn't have to interview her. Even if it was just a PR move, she still gets the experience of interviewing which may serve her well down the road when she is a more serious candidate.

Idk about a step forward it is still a positive for her, personally.
It might, except there is no ‘rule’ in this case. So no mandate, or even pressure, to interview a woman candidate as there is with minority candidates in the NFL.

es·sen·tial·ly
əˈsen(t)SHəlē/
adverb
  1. used to emphasize the basic, fundamental, or intrinsic nature of a person, thing, or situation.
    "essentially, they are amateurs"

Husky25

Reaction Score

Don't kid yourself.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
es·sen·tial·ly
əˈsen(t)SHəlē/
adverb
  1. used to emphasize the basic, fundamental, or intrinsic nature of a person, thing, or situation.
    "essentially, they are amateurs"
No need for your condescension since I fundamentally disagree with your evaluation of the intrinsic nature of the situation.

Husky25

Reaction Score
No need for your condescension since I fundamentally disagree...

Yes there is* and no you don't. An ancillary benefit of The Rooney Rule gives a minority candidate "the experience of interviewing which may serve [them] well down the road when [they are] a more serious candidate."

*It's a message board. Lighten up.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yes there is* and no you don't. An ancillary benefit of The Rooney Rule gives a minority candidate "the experience of interviewing which may serve [them] well down the road when [they are] a more serious candidate."

*It's a message board. Lighten up.

I think an essential element of the Rooney Rule is that it is, you know, a rule.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom