Beal St. Briefs - USF | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Beal St. Briefs - USF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Someone mentioned in the chat that Whaley should start tomorrow in place of Carlton. That's how good a game he had.
no... I am glad he had a good game but he should not start. he just reassured that he can fill in for carlton. Cobb is just a big liability.

Reaction Score
And in that 11 minutes he produced - 8 & 4. Maybe with more time & experience the fouling would improve?

Maybe. And maybe based on what the coaches have seen in practice and we've seen in games it's more likely that what would change would be the 8 and 4 rather than the 5 in 11.

Again, I don't mean to knock the kid -- good for him that he contributed in a big way when he was needed. But I once saw Hawthorne Wingo score 12 points in extended mop-up time at MSG. It didn't mean Red Holzman didn't know what he was doing.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Maybe. And maybe based on what the coaches have seen in practice and we've seen in games it's more likely that what would change would be the 8 and 4 rather than the 5 in 11.
He'll be Carlton's backup going forward. Cobb is simply too horrid defensively, so will be #3. And while 8/4 in 11 minutes isn't likely repeatable, his hands and activity are good enough to play him.

Reaction Score

Again, I don't mean to knock the kid -- good for him that he contributed in a big way when he was needed. But I once saw Hawthorne Wingo score 12 points in extended mop-up time at MSG. It didn't mean Red Holzman didn't know what he was doing.
Yeah, I tend to side with the guys who've watched him practice every day for 6+ months now...

Good for him though. He came up big when his number was called.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
- UConn guards have to take the ball stronger to the rim to get foul calls. Vital had the one drive where he double clutched himself in to a jump ball.

He got fouled badly on that play tho. The USF guy jumped directly into his shooting arm with his body before any ball contact occurred.

Reaction Score
He had a good game. Therefore not playing him earlier constitutes coaching malpractice. That, my man, is the Boneyard way.

He had a good game, but not after a bunch of bad games. He had a good game after a bunch of DNP's, with a few cameo appearances interspersed in which he proved to be a aggressive rebounder and defender. Clearly he was not given a chance this year, purportedly because he had not "earned" the playing time in practice. Huh? How does the most aggressive, relentlessly hustling player we have not earn playing time in practice? How, especially, does he not earn playing time on a team that is doing nothing, going nowhere? The word "malpractice" hadn't occurred to me. But, hey, if you think it applies.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What kind of foul fouled Jalen out? Was it a dumb gamble or did the refs screw him?

He blew air too aggressively. Lame call.

There were so many calls/non-calls that were headscratchers. I agree with Chin that this was a very tough game to officiate, but even given that, the officials looked less than pedestrian.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What if Whaley had gotten Cobb's minutes from the beginning?

of Whaley remains a relentless mystery.

The other team would have been well into the bonus a whole lot quicker?

One thing this board does above all else is overreact to one game. Would I have liked to see more of Whaley this year? Yes, because I would like to see what we have with him. But not because I think he's an upgrade from Cobb. I literally have no idea.

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned in the chat that Whaley should start tomorrow in place of Carlton. That's how good a game he had.

I have also seen someone mention in the chat that we should cut the scholarships of the entire team. Just because it's said, doesn't make it remotely close to a likely path to winning basketball games.

Reaction Score
Clearly he was not given a chance this year, purportedly because he had not "earned" the playing time in practice. Huh? How does the most aggressive, relentlessly hustling player we have not earn playing time in practice?
Because there's more to basketball than hustling? You have to learn the plays, execute the plays, rotate effectively on defense.

Again, he fouled out in 11 minutes. He probably looks like that in practice, too.

Reaction Score
Whaley needs to be in the rotation. I don't care if this was his "Monk" game (my wife and I named "Monk game" after the Kentucky kid a few years ago early in the season shot like Curry and got 40 something and never was able to repeat that performance at Kentucky) getting 8/4 in a "lose and go home" game when the other guys at your position got as many points in 28 minutes as I got sitting on my couch gets you some playing time in the next game.
Not sure Cobb is as good as Enoch was on defense and that's a pretty low standard.

Reaction Score
Generally, the Huskies played well defensively, with good rotations and fresh legs, excepting the last 5 minutes.

Reaction Score
Some notes:
-Vital played like Superman. Amazing. Continued hot shooting in second half with big dagger late.
-as I wished in previous post in AG thread, Tarin really did turn into AG today. Little mini mini Ricky Moore run to start the game (8pts) finished with 14 including a big “and 1” layup in second half.
- Carlton was in foul trouble but played solid defensively. Hopefully he got this below average game out of his system for tmrw.
- Polley hit some nice threes. Dunno why he doesn’t put ball on floor more . Still seems tentative. Heard hurley scream thru the tv screen “shooooott” when he passed up on one.
- Jalen was very solid and pretty much wet from the floor. Only bad thing was he fouled out. Can’t do that tmrw.
- whalley was a great out of nowhere spark. Why Hurley won’t play him more is still one of this years great mysteries..
*** now if we somehow catch houston sleeping and win tmrw - everything changes!!!!

C

Chief00

I know one of Danny Hurley’s concerns with Whaley is he goes over the back. Did he pick up fouls that way or some other way today?

Reaction Score
I know one of Danny Hurley’s concerns with Whaley is he goes over the back. Did he pick up fouls that way or some other way today?
He definitely went over the back at least once

Reaction Score

Anyone who said he had such a good game he should take Josh's spot is cocked. Out of their mind hammered and I've always been a Whaley guy. He added 11 minutes we needed, but Josh got screwed early on crappy calls. Listen, if you didn't think "Hey even though they came back to make it tough"... and didn't think the stripes let them creep into the game then you weren't watching. Again, refs blow huge clueless human beings.

Nice win but need to go 9-11 from 3 again in the first half to have a prayer LOL

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
he was the X-factor

Absolute truth. Without him, the huge first half run would not have happened. After a world class BBQ, you can't forget the match that first lit the grill. Is that my first Ollieism?

Reaction Score
mauconnfan:
"Nice win but need to go 9-11 from 3 again in the first half to have a prayer" LOL[/QUOTE]

Or have JC play his recent sparkling game
(~16pts/12reb, not today) and shred Houston in the paint. That will open up our resurrected 3 point attack and might just keep us in Friday's do or die battle.

Reaction Score
How about T-Smith, first 3-4 minutes we were mess, he scores our first 7 points which keeps it from getting ugly early.

Reaction Score
looking at the bright side, our start vs Houston seems eerily similar to Thursday !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom