OT: - Beach town vacation ideas | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Beach town vacation ideas

Reaction Score
I don't care what this says. Every single person I know, when discussing the Cape, refers to Orleans to Provincetown as the Upper Cape. From the bridges to Orleans is lower Cape. And the Islands are the Islands. Throughout the years, the colloquial nature of terms and places change. I would say this is one of those instances.
Where do you live?
In MA its 'outer cape', middle or elbow and lower cape. The outer I think is a simple modification to make it obvious and more understandable vs upper.

Of course most of the time people preface with what town they are talking about. "I'm going to Brewster this summer, its mid-Cape but just 15 minutes to get to Nauset Beach on the outer Cape."

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Where do you live?
In MA its 'outer cape', middle or elbow and lower cape. The outer I think is a simple modification to make it obvious and more understandable vs upper.

Of course most of the time people preface with what town they are talking about. "I'm going to Brewster this summer, its mid-Cape but just 15 minutes to get to Nauset Beach on the outer Cape."
In CT. Makes sense that we simplify. People from MA, with a better understanding of where towns are located and more knowledge of the area, would likely be much more specific than we are.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Where do you live?

Agree that “outer Cape” is the common and common sense description of the arm of the Cape. I don‘t see people using a generic description for the whole Falmouth, Sandwich, Mashpee, Barnstable area. Just the town name. I do hear “bay side” vs “Nantucket sound”. The more local descriptions are things like “north of 6A“ in Dennis and Brewster.

Reaction Score
I travel to the space coast in Florida for work and have come to enjoy what the area has to offer. It's a cheap flight to Orlando and a 50 minute ride to the coast. Cocoa Beach probably has what you need from a beach perspective - I normally stay at the Courtyard, and it's a stone's throw from the beach. For good seafood or gator & grits, I like Florida's Fresh Grill. For a beer/pub food, Long Doggers in Melbourne. For Italian, I haven't been to too many places but Brano's was a short walk from the hotel and a decent meal. There is also Viera Town Center, about 20-30 minutes away that one of those constructed communities with lots of restaurants and shopping in a walkable area.

What I personally like about the area are the things to do beyond the beach. Depending on the time of year, you can go see the manatees and sometimes view dolphins swimming inland in Titusville. There are multiple locations for wildlife viewing, including Merritt Island and several lagoons. And then there is the Kennedy Space Center. If you time it right(and get lucky), you can see a rocket launch.
Space Coast has great beaches (within walking distance or just a few miles down the road). Its proximity to Orlando and Daytona offers a myriad to things for an entire family).

Reaction Score
Has anyone ever been to McCook Point Beach in East Lyme? I googled CT beaches and it came up.

If so, what is your opinion for someone who lives in CT, has no interest in traveling to another state for a beach in the summer, and would like to maybe stay in a decent hotel nearby for a few days of a mini- vacation or staycation if that is the right term?

I guess there must be decent hotels, local attractions ,and good restaurants nearby. Hopefully Covid will be winding down by the summer.
I take my kids there quite a bit in the offseason. McCook's is a town beach, so you'd need to be a resident of East Lyme to purchase a pass during summer. Nearby is Rocky Neck State Park (Hammonasset also)

Reaction Score
I've gone to Sanibel Island, FL (Gulf side) twice recently and recommend it if you're looking for a relaxing beach vacation with an island feel. There are also lots of places to ride bikes and good restaurants (some funky). However in the busy months it can be difficult to get around due to traffic, so try to stay within walking distance to beach. BDL has had direct flights to Fort Myers and it is an easy 40 min drive from the airport. October favorite time to go.

We also did a trip splitting time between Isle of Palms, SC (near Charleston) and Hilton Head and would recommend this also but it gets extremely sticky humid down there in the summer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom