BE vs ACC Media: non-media expert analysis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BE vs ACC Media: non-media expert analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Do you think Asia and Africa or South America care much about college gridiron football? College basketball has a much bigger global audience.

Ah sorry I gotcha. Rest of world is a figure of speech, not literally people in other countries.

Reaction Score
Football drives the bus, and the BE according to the figures you reference show the BE right behind the ACC. Some would say the difference is marginal. After all the BE pulled those figures with 9 teams in weaker, non-traditional time slots.
Those figures would actually suggest the BE is deserving a deal that is in line with the ACC.

Any comparison involving the BE and any other entity has to to take into account the BE "management" response to the changing environment. Don't hit back and don't promote might be appropriate for what the previous commissioner called the "collegiate model." All it gets in the new environment is bruised irrelevance. With plausible branding and some "push" the BE #'s will improve.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

These numbers are easily hashed out, but for opposite reasons:

The football numbers are for low # of markets, and no really good ones (besides pieces of NY with Rutgers and UConn).

The basketball numbers are watered down by the non-football flotsam. I would love to see what the football school's basketball numbers are like!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's hard to tell the net impact. Did Wednesday suck for UConn and Pitt? Sure, but they probably got a higher than average number because there was little else to bet on and there weren't 10 other games on. Almost all the announcers suck - so it's not like that drives anything.

The Big East will put up much lower numbers on cable NBC in the short term. I don't even see how it could be debated. What the Big East has averaged in the past is a HUGE number on NBCS. They had a SDSU/ basketball game draw 19k viewers.

You play on Saturday you compete with ABC, CBS, CBS cable, Fox Regional, ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN 2, BTN, Pac 12 net and there are millions of college football fans who are at games.

MACtion is a concept because they play on Tuesday and Wednesday. If they played on TV on Saturday it would mean nothing.

I saw an article today that proposed tht more than half of Sunday ticket subscriptions are driven by gambling. Having that community captive drives television ratings a lot.

Wedged around ND on broadcast NBC, the Big East will put up much higher numbers than their Wednesday night crap slot on ESPN. I don't know how that even be debated. As for the NBCsports games, we'll see. I could never tell you what channel Versus was, even though I would occassionally stop and watch five minutes of "Bloodsport" if I was surfing the guide looking for something to watch. After the Olympics, I now know it is 590 on my local provided. NBC is taking a structured thoughtful approach to building it's viewership. There online simulcasting was severly tested by olympic viewers. It will be ready when we are.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wedged around ND on broadcast NBC, the Big East will put up much higher numbers than their Wednesday night crap slot on ESPN. I don't know how that even be debated. As for the NBCsports games, we'll see. I could never tell you what channel Versus was, even though I would occassionally stop and watch five minutes of "Bloodsport" if I was surfing the guide looking for something to watch. After the Olympics, I now know it is 590 on my local provided. NBC is taking a structured thoughtful approach to building it's viewership. There online simulcasting was severly tested by olympic viewers. It will be ready when we are.

Yes, but will there be enough network NBC games to move the weighted average higher overall?

I don't worry about online - I'm sure they could handle a college football audience.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It'd be awesome for the Big East to get Saturdays on NBC, I just don't know why NBC would do it. That's all.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It'd be awesome for the Big East to get Saturdays on NBC, I just don't know why NBC would do it. That's all.

um, because it seems like a better option than dead air?
Yes, but will there be enough network NBC games to move the weighted average higher overall?

That's question isn't isn't it? The answer will effect the value of the next contract though not this one.

Reaction Score

Well, what else will they show? NBC Sports doesn't have enough programming. I don't think they are content with filling in the gaps with fishing shows. Indycar races are too infrequent and the Cycling is never shown live anyways. I could see NBC showing the Big East game of the week on Sat afternoons and the rest of the games on NBC Sports.

NBC knows how to get value out the products like the Big East. OLN/Versus/NBC Sports made itself by showing Pro Bull Riding and Cycling. Once Indycar got pissed off enough with ABC/ESPN they moved some of their races over to NBC Sports as well.

My guess is that NBC/NBC Sports has a plan, and part of it starts with getting more of it's foot in the door college sports wise. The Big East gives them that. We're available and the timing is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom