BE vs AAC Attendance | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BE vs AAC Attendance

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That would be awesome. But keep in mind UConn being in the Big East isn’t exactly going to hurt anyone else’s ticket sales, so those other numbers aren’t static.

I think this is a rising tide raises all ships situation. I would not be surprised if the Big East moves into third amongst all basketball conferences in average attendance once we join, ahead of the ACC, Big 12, and Pac 12.

Creighton sells out every game, so it isn’t going to go up for them. I expect UConn and Nova to be the biggest road draws.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I didn't have the numbers but I mentioned this shortly after the news was announced that we'd be heading back to the Big East.

Naysayers were crapping on the BE, saying "enjoy traveling Butler, Creighton, and Marquette".

Those three schools:
Creighton: 17,000
Marquette: 12,323
Butler: 8,554

Compare that to the three worst schools we had to travel to the AAC:
ECU: 3,363
USF: 2,569
Tulane: 1,610

Just a bit of an improvement. It's a trip, but at least it's to a school that cares about hoops with great fanbases and atmospheres.

Playing road games at Tulane was downright depressing. Looked like a HS gym.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
posted in a related thread
View attachment 44409

I’m a homer, but I think it’s impressive what numbers KU puts up in an on campus arena built in 1955. AFH capacity is 16,300 but they did have a game or two at Sprint center.

Reaction Score
That was a good and big roster in 09-10, especially compared to last year's team. It's going to take some serious wns on the recruiting trail to get that size and skill again. Here's hoping the BE and the Garden help make it happen.

Reaction Score
Is this counting NCAA tournament games attendance for Villanova?
No, but keep in mind that the Philly market makes Villanova hoops kind of like UConn basketball in CT - everyone is a Nova fan.
They play a bunch of games at the Wells Fargo Center which sell out. That boosts attendance. Then they have their Big Five games at the Palestra.
You win, you get these homers in seats.
People went crazy when they won - not Super Bowl need to grease streetlight crazy, but neighborhoods were setting off fireworks (so weird that that’s legal down here).

Reaction Score
This would be impressive, especially since MU is back up to an average of 15,600 fans this past year because of a new arena and a program that is finally nearing the end of their slow drudge out of program rebuilding from when Buzz Williams gutted it.
It also helped that Marquette had 11 home games on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

Reaction Score
Here is reality. UConn attendance has been falling for years. It had been pretty stable at around 13500 until 2006 when it peaked at 13948. The next year it dropped off and kept dropping off even with championship teams. In 2010 it was down to 11287. There was a very modest bump in 2012 to 12690 but it dropped on 13 to 10728 and again in 2014. It was steady in 2015 at 10, 500 ish. A combination of awful teams, new league and a general decline in live sports attendance all contributed. And anyone who actually attended games was aware that attendance by 2012 wasn’t like it had been in the previous decades. And that was before leaving the Big East. But the biggest culprit was bad basketball. My guess is that there will be a big jump for a couple of years to around 12000 then it will settle down around whee it was before Ollie crashed and burned. Unless Hurley doesnt delivers. In which case it will stabilize around where it is now. And we will try to take even less money to get into a reconstituted Yankee Conference because we beat Princeton with Bill Bradley when we were there.

Reaction Score
Here is reality. UConn attendance has been falling for years. It had been pretty stable at around 13500 until 2006 when it peaked at 13948. The next year it dropped off and kept dropping off even with championship teams. In 2010 it was down to 11287. There was a very modest bump in 2012 to 12690 but it dropped on 13 to 10728 and again in 2014. It was steady in 2015 at 10, 500 ish. A combination of awful teams, new league and a general decline in live sports attendance all contributed. And anyone who actually attended games was aware that attendance by 2012 wasn’t like it had been in the previous decades. And that was before leaving the Big East. But the biggest culprit was bad basketball. My guess is that there will be a big jump for a couple of years to around 12000 then it will settle down around whee it was before Ollie crashed and burned. Unless Hurley doesnt delivers. In which case it will stabilize around where it is now. And we will try to take even less money to get into a reconstituted Yankee Conference because we beat Princeton with Bill Bradley when we were there.

This is probably pretty fair; but, again, attendance is not a great measure for fan interest or passion for a lot of different reasons. You have to also look at TV ratings and, nowadays, social media “impressions”, “interactions” etc.

For now, let’s just enjoy that there is a renewed buzz around the program

Reaction Score
St. John's attendance should go up, since they will now play all of their Big East games at MSG.

Reaction Score
St. John's attendance should go up, since they will now play all of their Big East games at MSG.
I don’t think they will play them all there. They want to play more there.

Or did I miss an announcement?

Reaction Score
They see looking to play all conference games, plus at least two non-conference games at MSG

Reaction Score
This is probably pretty fair; but, again, attendance is not a great measure for fan interest or passion for a lot of different reasons. You have to also look at TV ratings and, nowadays, social media “impressions”, “interactions” etc.

For now, let’s just enjoy that there is a renewed buzz around the program
That might be true but I suspect much of the current hype is of the new opening variety. You know how when a new supermarket opens for about a month everybody goes there. After that shopping patterns pretty much go back to normal. Plus if we are stuck on fs1 and fs2 there won’t be many people watching. Don’t remember the detail but I think the Big East Championship game has lower viewership than a regular season AAC game.

Reaction Score
hat might be true but I suspect much of the current hype is of the new opening variety. You know how when a new supermarket opens for about a month everybody goes there.

the Big East is to the AAC as Whole Foods is to 7/11.

Plus if we are stuck on fs1 and fs2 there won’t be many people watching.

the chip game is on FOX not FS1 or FS2, ya know the same channel that broadcasts sunday afternoon football?

Reaction Score
the chip game is on FOX not FS1 or FS2, ya know the same channel that broadcasts sunday afternoon football?

Better games will earn their way on to Big Fox.

Reaction Score
Not an attendance thing but just a league perception thing. ESPN's PreSeason Top 25.

4 Big East teams. 1 American team. And that team had the No. 1 recruiting class in the country.

I know these lists mean nothing, but it just shows you the respect the Big East gets versus the American.

Reaction Score
Not sure where to put it. I figured here since it's Big East vs AAC. Many of the owned ESPN Exempted Holiday Touurnament came out today. You can see a difference in the number of BE schools vs the AAC.

Big East Exempt Tournaments Match Ups

2019 Empire Classic at MSG
Duke vs Cal
GEORGETOWN vs Texas

2019 Charleston Classic
Florida/St. Joe's
Miami/Missouri State
UConn/Buffalo
XAVIER/Towson

2019 Hall-of-Fame Classic in Kansas City:
BUTLER/Missouri
Oklahoma/Stanford