Be Thankful For What You Got | The Boneyard

Be Thankful For What You Got

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours 8893!

Thanks, David. To you and your family as well. Anyone got any sweet potato pie coming?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Not sure. We are going to the Wharf.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Thanks 8893

And a Happy Thanksgiving to All out there. Have a great day and be safe!

By the President of the United States of America, a Proclamation.

Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and – Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me “to recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:”

Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favor, able interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquillity, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted; for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations, and beseech Him to pardon our national and other trangressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally, to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand at the City of New York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.

Go. Washington

Curiouser
Reaction Score
51221-Sesame-Street-Thanksgiving.jpg

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I always read Gov. Wilbur Cross on Thanksgiving, his 1936 proclamation is the best known:

Time out of mind at this turn of the seasons when the hardy oak leaves rustle in the wind and the frost gives a tang to the air and the dusk falls early and the friendly evenings lengthen under the heel of Orion, it has seemed good to our people to join together in praising the Creator and Preserver, who has brought us by a way that we did not know to the end of another year.

In observance of this custom, I appoint Thursday, the 26th of November, as a day of

Public Thanksgiving

for the blessings that have been our common lot and have placed our beloved state with the favored regions of earth — for all the creature comforts: the yield of the soil that has fed us and the richer yield from labor of every kind that has sustained our lives — and for all those things, as dear as breath to the body, that quicken man's faith in his manhood, that nourish and strengthen his spirit to do the great work still before him: for the brotherly word and act; for honor held above price; for steadfast courage and zeal in the long, long search after truth; for liberty and for justice freely granted by each to his fellow and so as freely enjoyed; and for the crowning glory and mercy of peace upon our land;— that we may humbly take heart of these blessings as we gather once again with solemn and festive rites to keep our Harvest Home.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I always read Gov. Wilbur Cross on Thanksgiving, his 1936 proclamation is the best known:

Time out of mind at this turn of the seasons when the hardy oak leaves rustle in the wind and the frost gives a tang to the air and the dusk falls early and the friendly evenings lengthen under the heel of Orion, it has seemed good to our people to join together in praising the Creator and Preserver, who has brought us by a way that we did not know to the end of another year.

In observance of this custom, I appoint Thursday, the 26th of November, as a day of

Public Thanksgiving

for the blessings that have been our common lot and have placed our beloved state with the favored regions of earth — for all the creature comforts: the yield of the soil that has fed us and the richer yield from labor of every kind that has sustained our lives — and for all those things, as dear as breath to the body, that quicken man's faith in his manhood, that nourish and strengthen his spirit to do the great work still before him: for the brotherly word and act; for honor held above price; for steadfast courage and zeal in the long, long search after truth; for liberty and for justice freely granted by each to his fellow and so as freely enjoyed; and for the crowning glory and mercy of peace upon our land;— that we may humbly take heart of these blessings as we gather once again with solemn and festive rites to keep our Harvest Home.
That's awesome. Thanks for posting. My goal for the next year is to memorize that so I can recite it next Thanksgiving as we sit down for dinner.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
That's awesome. Thanks for posting. My goal for the next year is to memorize that so I can recite it next Thanksgiving as we sit down for dinner.
I didn't realize until this year he was the Sterling professor of English at Yale for years before running for office. He can turn a phrase.

Reaction Score

Public Thanksgiving

“Good food, good meat, good Lord, let’s eat. Amen.”

Reaction Score

It will take a ton of less time that Aretha Franklin did today to open up the Cowboys/Skins, love the lady but didn't anyone review her take of the National Anthem before she took the stage? Painful:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom