Be Could Still Land A Billion Dollar Tv Deal | The Boneyard

Be Could Still Land A Billion Dollar Tv Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Echoes pretty much what some of us have argued in this forum. WV would love to play a couple of seasons against the like of Texas, OU and OSU. Can't blame them. They may never get another opportunity to showcase their university against three football powerhouses during the regular season. But the B12 isn't in the cards for them in the near future and they won't get the chance to join the B12 until Texas is gone in six years.

So they have a choice. To sulk and sabotage the BE or to make the BE work, develop their football program so it becomes a top ten program and help get the next contract as great as possible so they can pay their coaches lots of money so they don't leave.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If we're talking about a $1B, 278-year contract, then yes, I think the Big East has a shot at a billion-dollar contract.

Otherwise, I think it's a fantasy.

Reaction Score
If the BE plans are as aggressive as possible there is no reason they can't get a huge TV deal. I've argued that point over and over. There are valuable schools out there and the Big East brand in basketball still equals prime time TV. I think that what Pitino and others are saying about adding schools with good basketball traditions and brands is important. I think the BE needs to go all out with whatever it's plans are. No half steps, limit the number of partial members. Make BE basketball relevant in places like Salt Lake City, Houston, and Dallas.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I hope the BE survives and we get a chance to find out.

Reaction Score
I don't think BE basketball will come close to making up for the loss of WVU, Pitt, TCU or Syracuse. It's pure fantasy to think advertisers are going to pay as much for a product on the airwaves +/- four months over the year as opposed to BCS schools that provide marketing opportunities +/- eight months over the year. The more opportunity for a product to be advertised = more revenue to ESPN/Comcast/Fox/whomever = more revenue to schools.

I agree with another poster........$ 1 billion over howmany years?

Reaction Score
Bottom line will be what is the per team annual payout for the Big East football schools.

Reaction Score
There's a reason that ESPN conspired with the ACC to weaken the Big East. The last guy to negotiate a deal gets the best deal. ESPN didn't like that idea. With the new schools coming this week, the Big East will be very attractive in both basketball and football. Negotiations can begin in 2012.

We will be adding 2 football schools in the top 25. WVU will be dropping out of the polls shortly so the only slight hope for a top 25 finish in the Big East is Cincy. Last year we had none. The Big East, when it gets to 12 football schools, will be a beter conference for football.

We are weakened in basketball in 27 months, but a lot can happen in 27 months. We still have 13 programs at differing levels of potential. Houston is already on their way back to being a good basketball program again. Basketball with the tournament in MSG is still a big prize for TV.

Reaction Score
There's a reason that ESPN conspired with the ACC to weaken the Big East. The last guy to negotiate a deal gets the best deal. ESPN didn't like that idea. With the new schools coming this week, the Big East will be very attractive in both basketball and football. Negotiations can begin in 2012.

We will be adding 2 football schools in the top 25. WVU will be dropping out of the polls shortly so the only slight hope for a top 25 finish in the Big East is Cincy. Last year we had none. The Big East, when it gets to 12 football schools, will be a beter conference for football.

We are weakened in basketball in 27 months, but a lot can happen in 27 months. We still have 13 programs at differing levels of potential. Houston is already on their way back to being a good basketball program again. Basketball with the tournament in MSG is still a big prize for TV.

"We"?
LMAO

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
From Providence's perspective, the horses that pull their wagon will be slower than the ones that have been pulling it for the past few decades.

Reaction Score
The inferiority complex certain UConn fans have over PC after all these years never ceases to amaze me.

Reaction Score
The inferiority complex certain UConn fans have over PC after all these years never ceases to amaze me.

I think it's primarily resentment toward the basketball schools which rightly or wrongly have been viewed as a roadblock to strengthening the football conference. I don't have a problem with the hybrid model, but the balance of power seems out of wack to most casual observers where football schools are worth twice as much in terms of income generated they are not afforded any additional influence over league matters.

Reaction Score
Here you go, HH:

JOHN MARINATTO COMMENTS AFTER BIG EAST PRESIDENTS MEETING
PHILADELPHIA, November 1, 2011 – John Marinatto, Commissioner of the BIG EAST Conference, issued the following statement after the annual meeting of the BIG EAST Conference Presidents. “We had a very productive meeting and were able to discuss the great progress we have made in the last few weeks regarding conference realignment.
“Our Presidents voted unanimously to extend invitations to specific institutions, including both football-only and all-sport members to join the BIG EAST Conference. I will be speaking to representatives of those schools shortly and look forward to announcing with them their acceptance into the BIG EAST. The addition of these members will extend our reach, bring us to exciting new markets, strengthen our status within the BCS, and lay the foundation for possible further expansion, all while maintaining the high quality and standards our Conference is known for.
“In light of the lawsuit filed by West Virginia yesterday, the Presidents also discussed and confirmed our continuing commitment to enforce the Conference’s 27-month notification period for schools choosing to leave. The Conference believes these claims to be wholly without merit and will explore all its legal options to protect its interests and to ensure that West Virginia lives up to its obligations.”

Reaction Score
I think it's primarily resentment toward the basketball schools which rightly or wrongly have been viewed as a roadblock to strengthening the football conference. I don't have a problem with the hybrid model, but the balance of power seems out of wack to most casual observers where football schools are worth twice as much in terms of income generated they are not afforded any additional influence over league matters.
Well there was a balance of 8-8 until very recently, TCU would have made it 8-9. All past history, I know.

With the new additions, the balance of power will move to the football schools in many respects. I hope the perception that interests are vastly different, isn't reality when it comes to conference decisions. I have no doubt the basketball schools want to see a strong football conference.

For what it is worth I graduated from UConn.

Reaction Score
Well there was a balance of 8-8 until very recently, TCU would have made it 8-9. All past history, I know.

With the new additions, the balance of power will move to the football schools in many respects. I hope the perception that interests are vastly different, isn't reality when it comes to conference decisions. I have no doubt the basketball schools want to see a strong football conference.

For what it is worth I graduated from UConn.

I think that was part of the frustration though. Just why exactly they brought in more basketball schools the last time around is a mystery to many. It seems it was done to appease the basketball side and not really in the football league's best interest to bloat the league with members who didn't play football and give the non football schools an equal voting block. I'm sure they want a strong football conference, but I'm not sure they are willing to do what it takes to have one. It will mean being outnumbered and having less influence as a block than the football playing block, as it should have been all along.

I actually just grew up a UConn fan but attended undergrad in Atlanta. I've been going to games since I was a kid and it's really the only team I've ever rooted for. It's just a CT thing for me.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
As I think more about this expanded BE conference, I really do think there might be a huge contract out there to be had.

If you think about it, this new BE conference may be losing some on the 'name' schools. So the BE will not have many matchups that are 'National' games seen across the country. Let's be honest, UConn vs Air Force just isn't a must see game. I would argue that outside of a few matchups (Texas v OU, USC vs Notre Dame, Ohio St vs Michigan, etc), there really aren't many of those types of games out there. But that is what ESPN is looking for...singular matchups that will draw large audiences. ESPN has a few national channels...so they need 'name' schools with national interest.

However, NBC/Comcast and Fox have lots of regional networks in addition to the national networks. Rumor is that CBS is trying to get there too. So while ESPN is focused on the quality of matchups, the other entities may be more interested in the quantity of matchups. You will still have a few national games for NBC/Fox/CBS...but it may be more about getting a good game on a regional network that will attract viewers in a few specific markets. We all hear that going forward it is all about providing content. The Big East will be able to provide that in mass.

New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Baltimore, Washington DC, Tampa, Orlando, Houston, Dallas, Denver, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Louisville, etc.

These are huge TV markets. From a market standpoint, there is no conference that can compete with that. You are going to have multiple huge TV markets, spanning 3 time zones, with a lot of quality content. I have a feeling that this new Big East is going to be VERY valuable to a network. And ironically, it is worth a lot more to another network than it will be to ESPN!

Reaction Score
I am not as optimistic, but I'll add one point:

We now have a serious basketball presence in the central time zone, allowing for easy 7 and 9 p.m. weeknight doubleheaders. And, in football, we're now in the mountain time zone.

There will be a lot of product, and I agree it is more valuable to Comcast than ESPN. The issue remains what kind of ratings can the product draw.

Reaction Score
I am not as optimistic, but I'll add one point:

We now have a serious basketball presence in the central time zone, allowing for easy 7 and 9 p.m. weeknight doubleheaders. And, in football, we're now in the mountain time zone.

There will be a lot of product, and I agree it is more valuable to Comcast than ESPN. The issue remains what kind of ratings can the product draw.

The real question is what kind of ratings it can draw in the markets it has a presence in more so than what the ratings will be nationally.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The real question is what kind of ratings it can draw in the markets it has a presence in more so than what the ratings will be nationally.

Exactly.

If you were to show a Rutgers vs Houston game as compared to a Maryland vs Syracuse game on National TV....the Maryland vs Syracuse game would probably get a higher rating. But if you show a Rutgers vs Houston game in NYC/Houston, a SMU vs UCF game in Dallas/Orlando, an Air Force vs Navy game in Denver/Baltimore/DC, UConn vs USF game in Tampa/Hartford and so on....you will have a very nice aggregate rating for the later. That may be more enticing for a network than the 0.2 rating points higher for the national game comparison. While that model doesn't work for ESPN....it does for every other network.

And you have to wonder if ESPN may eventually come out with regional networks. They have already launched regional websites (ESPNBoston, ESPNChicago, etc) and if they start to lose viewers to the Comcast/Fox/etc regional networks...you are sure they are ready to launch ESPN regional networks as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom