BE Associate Commissioner Said BE TV Deal Could Equal or Exceed ACC's Deal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BE Associate Commissioner Said BE TV Deal Could Equal or Exceed ACC's Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...up-could-be-interested-in-big-east-tv-package

The BE Associate Commish posturing is one thing, but I don't think he's the one throwing numbers around. I think NBC is leaking this information in order to make sure that the BE doesn't sign with ESPN during the exclusive negotiating period. If, and it's a huge if, the BE gets this type of money it will be clear for all to see that Cuse and Pitt could have made more money in the BE. Hell, a BE with Cuse, Pitt, WVU, and TCU still in it could have garnered a deal that far surpassed the ACC's.
We have 3 spots to get to 16... Who could we add to move the needle? Best case would be FSU, PSU, and ND...
Realistically , byu and UNlv or reno

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They are, which would lend credence to this report, because it would behoove NBC to leak potential numbers so that the BE knows what they're dealing with in ESPN's exclusive timetable. Sort of pre-bidding.

NBC can whisper in an ear. It's just as likely that the league itself is floating a number if someone is really giving Weiss a number and he's not just making it up.

Reaction Score
if the nbe does get these type of #'s rumored. then espn will work with fox and cbs to do more damage. they will get the sec to add 2 more quick and the b12 to add to atleast 12 which will make the acc add more and kill off more of the nbe. they are just waiting to see what the nbe gets. espn will make a power 5 out of it in the end, there doing things slowly on purpose and baiting nbc into thinking its got something and investing into it before they pull the plug on its dreams.

just imagine the nbe gets 14mil or w/e the number is. the b12 gets between 20 and 22. then espn and fox(b12 tv) get a couple acc schools for 12. then the sec adds 2(espn and cbs) for 16. now the b10 is looking and the b12 knows it has to get to 16 before the pac starts sniffing. the acc to survive has to add also to keeps its new contract which already is the worst of the power 5. uconn, rutgers, temple, byu, usf will all get swept up in that by someone. possibly even more. they will make it a power 5 in the end and espn will f with nbc.

the final result is a power 5 confs with a mwc and a cusa fighting for 6th, but very far behind. when the playoff goes to 8, you can have 5 auto bids basically and 3 opens for a 2nd sec, a nd possible and others who are top 10 teams etc...i just can't wait for it all to happen and for uconn in 10 years to go from nothing to in the convo.

I apologize for being so horrifically wrong.

Your posts actually are easier to read when you add all the slashes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A bleacher report article on the prospect of the BE on NBC. Yeah, I know, it's just some guys opinion, but it's something to read.

CL82

Reaction Score
NBC can whisper in an ear. It's just as likely that the league itself is floating a number if someone is really giving Weiss a number and he's not just making it up.

Yep, and as such it is a "floor" not a "ceiling".

NBC wants to make sure that ESPN doesn't get the BE inexpensively. ESPN should match it, largely because they don't want NBC to have the rights, then NBC will beat it to get the deal. If ESPN passes, then 14M per school should be the number.

Reaction Score
Please just don't read my posts.

I am teasing your writing style. As I have said numerous times before, you add a lot with all of your hard work on your recruiting side and I remain appreciative.

Reaction Score
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...ne-games-national-tv-article-1.1127668?pgno=1

Dick Weiss is reporting that his sources are saying NBC would be willing to pay $10m a year for football and $4m for basketball. I'd be pretty satisfied with that deal and it would still be better than the deal the BE turned down from ESPN which would demonstrate how crappy that deal really was. Of course the BE is arguably much more valuable to NBC than it is to ESPN. If this report is accurate it's certainly a positive sign. It could possibly be driven higher if ESPN takes these numbers as credible and cares enough about the BE to make a comparable bid.

Here is what you need to understand, in EVERY new Conference TV Contract the final numbers have been HIGHER then reported and HIGHER then the focus groups have forecast, the same company that negotiated the PAC12 mega-deal was hired to negotiate the new BE deal, and last but not least if NBC is willing to pay 14 mill per year per team for F&B before negotiations begin, what they will agree to after negotiations will surprise people, I can guarantee that if numbers are leaking out about what NBC is willing to pay it is a lot less then they are really willing to pay, that's how you negotiate these kind of contracts.

pj

Reaction Score
I can guarantee that if numbers are leaking out about what NBC is willing to pay it is a lot less then they are really willing to pay, that's how you negotiate these kind of contracts.

True, if the leaks are coming from NBC. If they're coming from the Big East they might be overestimates, trying to scare Fox and ESPN into upping their bids.

CL82

Reaction Score
True, if the leaks are coming from NBC. If they're coming from the Big East they might be overestimates, trying to scare Fox and ESPN into upping their bids.
Bad tactics to make numbers and link them to a specific buyer if you are the seller. Too big a chance that you get a PR from the 'buyer' repudiating it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yep, and as such it is a "floor" not a "ceiling".

NBC wants to make sure that ESPN doesn't get the BE inexpensively. ESPN should match it, largely because they don't want NBC to have the rights, then NBC will beat it to get the deal. If ESPN passes, then 14M per school should be the number.

From what we know, we have no idea if it's a floor or a ceiling. NBC either wants the Big East or they don't. If they don't want the Big East what ESPN pays them really is immaterial to NBC. I don't imagine the Big East will sign a deal with ESPN before they hit the open market - so we'll probably have a better idea at some point, but we still may never know.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A bleacher report article on the prospect of the BE on NBC. Yeah, I know, it's just some guys opinion, but it's something to read.

This is what I'm talking about with how the speculation feeds on itself.

My fault for clicking on something from Bleacher Report but...

Thursday, the New York Daily News reported that the Big East and NBC may be very close to working out a deal for the television rights to the conference (h/t Big East Coast Bias).

I bolded very close. There is absolutely nothing in the NYDN that says the Big East and NBC are 'very close'. It is some guy's opinion who should improve his reading comprehension before he continues to write.

Reaction Score
http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=338

Negotiations on a new contract are about to begin–ESPN gets the first shot–and there is talk that the Big East can come up with a deal–whether it is ESPN or NBC/Comcast–that will pay schools between 14 and 17 million dollars per year.

I believe BE will end up with a deal pays each all sports school north of $15M a year. This is what I predicted more than 1 year ago and I think it is more than possible now.

CL82

Reaction Score
This is what I'm talking about with how the speculation feeds on itself.

My fault for clicking on something from Bleacher Report but...

Thursday, the New York Daily News reported that the Big East and NBC may be very close to working out a deal for the television rights to the conference (h/t Big East Coast Bias).

I bolded very close. There is absolutely nothing in the NYDN that says the Big East and NBC are 'very close'. It is some guy's opinion who should improve his reading comprehension before he continues to write.

Well he said maybe. Maybe they are and maybe they aren't...

(Yes Whaler I know that that they aren't even officially talking to each other. It's the Bleacher Report.)

Keep in mind that the same phenomena explains why some people are sure that the BE won't get a good TV contract. They heard it so often from nonauthoritative sources that they are sure that it's true.

CL82

Reaction Score
From what we know, we have no idea if it's a floor or a ceiling. NBC either wants the Big East or they don't. If they don't want the Big East what ESPN pays them really is immaterial to NBC. I don't imagine the Big East will sign a deal with ESPN before they hit the open market - so we'll probably have a better idea at some point, but we still may never know.

If it's an NBC leak, it's a floor. Imagine that your neighbor is selling his car and you are interested in it for, say 10K. Do you hint that you are willing to pay 15K or 5K?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If it's an NBC leak, it's a floor. Imagine that your neighbor is selling his car and you are interested in it for, say 10K. Do you hint that you are willing to pay 15K or 5K?

We don't even know if it's a leak from anyone never mind what party it's leaked from. But yeah I understand that NBC wouldn't float their max number.

Reaction Score
we've been the 5th best league for several years. Now we're going to get paid like it...
If this deal is more money per school than the ACC, I can't wait to see the spin job from Swofford.
Things are going to be very interesting over the next couple months.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'd be intrigued what happens if the NHL locks out. That's pretty much all NBC has right now. Would that possibility, which I believe will be decided by Sept, impact NBC's urgency in landing something to save their fledgling NBCSN?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I'd be intrigued what happens if the NHL locks out. That's pretty much all NBC has right now. Would that possibility, which I believe will be decided by Sept, impact NBC's urgency in landing something to save their fledgling NBCSN?

That's actually a good observation. I think it would certainly up their desperation for brand name programming.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
There was an earlier rumor out there similar to this one where they parsed the contract terms wrong. The original source said $4 million for basketball and $10 million for football schools. That was the inclusive figure for the football/basketball schools. It wasn't $10 mil for football onlies but it wasn't explicit.

The San Diego figure of $6.2 on football was essentially correct and the original quote never said $10 mil for football onlies or 514 mil. Except it got combobulated by the time it hit the internet and became $14 mil for football/basketball schools.

I'd have to hear the original source before this $14-$17 mil sounds ......... accurate

Reaction Score
Reality sets in...

One industry source said this week that even with the addition of Boise State in football only – now considered a Big East lynchpin – a Big East deal would be worth no more than $70 million per year. CBSSports.com reported in May that the league could get as little as $50 million per year after the defections of West Virginia, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and TCU.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-general-counsel-in-big-east-commissioner-mix

70 mil for 12 teans is 5.8 mil and 50 mil for 12 is 4.1.

Definitely ACC level money. It is, really. Come on, sure it is. Four million per year is the same as 17 million. It absolutely is.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Old news observer, we hashed that out in one of the "Ruh Roh" threads (that I started) a few months ago. I'm as eager as anyone to get UConn out of the BE but if they do leave eventually it won't be because the ACC contract is some kind of manna from heaven. You can be delusional if you want but it's not helping your position. I'm gradually changing my view from "jump ship ASAP' to "we'll be fine in the Big East for a decade, giving us time to position ourselves for the Big Ten".

Reaction Score
Reality sets in...

One industry source said this week that even with the addition of Boise State in football only – now considered a Big East lynchpin – a Big East deal would be worth no more than $70 million per year. CBSSports.com reported in May that the league could get as little as $50 million per year after the defections of West Virginia, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and TCU.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-general-counsel-in-big-east-commissioner-mix

Definitely ACC level money. It is, really. Come on, sure it is. Four million per year is the same as 17 million. It absolutely is.

LOL.. let's see, some random UNNAMED sources vs. people that actually put their names behind their comments. For all we know, CBS' source could be the writer's neighbor's ugly brother-in-law's cousin.

BTW, $4M to $6M is probably what they will be paying for BE basketball rights. They left out the football part LOL.

You are trolling way too hard. As for rest of folks here, do the following:

3556do.jpg

Reaction Score
Reality sets in...

That's good stuff Observer... But I think you have to take into consideration that the source here is anonymous. That is usually indicative that there is not source. I also think that you have to understand that this is CBS, which is a potential bidder.
As you could imagine, I don't think it would be in anyone's interest (from a media perspective), to increase the market value of the big east. you can certainly attempt to decrease the value by doing what you are seeing here which is to suggest low-ball figures.

I find it funny that your last comment is almost exactly Swofford's sentiment when trying to convey that his deal for the ACC was in line with the Big12.

Thanks again for keeping us on our toes here at the Boneyard.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

The new deal would start next year, not this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom