BE Associate Commissioner Said BE TV Deal Could Equal or Exceed ACC's Deal | The Boneyard

BE Associate Commissioner Said BE TV Deal Could Equal or Exceed ACC's Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting to hear that from a Syracuse alum. I'd be surprised to see if the market size and time zone approach works. Does make sense, but need to see results.

Reaction Score
Nick Carparelli comes across really well. There seems to be a new strategy that Bailey will no longer be speaking publicly and Nick is taking his place. I don't know if this will help Nick get the job as commissioner or if it indicates that he will at least keep his current job as second in command, but he seems like someone we should keep onboard. He is positive, likable and knows what to say.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
http://www.700wlw.com/player/?stati...e=podcast&program_id=KenBroo.xml&mid=22322128

Interview starts at 15:30 mark. Here is something close to official from the BE.

I'm not going to hold my breath for a deal that will be greater than that of the ACC, but if it were to happen...oh man! Talk about Syracuse having "buyer's remorse," even if we just end up with the same deal as the ACC. And I have to say that everything that I have seen and heard from Nick Carparelli makes me think that he might be the man for the full-time job.

Thanks for the thread and the link, WestCoast.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to hold my breath for a deal that will be greater than that of the ACC, but if it were to happen...oh man! Talk about Syracuse having "buyer's remorse," even if we just end up with the same deal as the ACC. And I have to say that everything that I have seen and heard from Nick Carparelli makes me think that he might be the man for the full-time job.

Thanks for the thread and the link, WestCoast.

I believe Carparelli is a really good asset for the BE. BE should definitely try to keep this guy. He is way better speaker than Bailey. We could do a lot worse than him as the new commissioner.

Remember when some of us predicted BE would get a good deal and several of negative Nancys on this forum said we were smoking crack? Well glad to hear someone official from the BE making this statement. Exceeding ACC's deal should be the goal here. The ability to provide games across multiple time zones should be a strength, not a weakness.

Now the conference just has to get it done. I am glad he also mentioned he wants a TV partner that will promote the conference PROPERLY. It sure does not sound like ESPN to me. ESPN has been bashing the conference non-stop. Time for a fresh start with a new TV partner.

Reaction Score
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...ne-games-national-tv-article-1.1127668?pgno=1

Dick Weiss is reporting that his sources are saying NBC would be willing to pay $10m a year for football and $4m for basketball. I'd be pretty satisfied with that deal and it would still be better than the deal the BE turned down from ESPN which would demonstrate how crappy that deal really was. Of course the BE is arguably much more valuable to NBC than it is to ESPN. If this report is accurate it's certainly a positive sign. It could possibly be driven higher if ESPN takes these numbers as credible and cares enough about the BE to make a comparable bid.

Reaction Score
the bigger picture here is that someone, somewhere at the offices of the BE has decided to fight back in this battle of public perception.
For the first time in a long time there is some discussion around the positives of this league and the potential for a bright future.
the needle of public opinion, which has been pinned against the upper limits of anti-BE sentiment is finally moving in the right direction. And if you're ESPN, you're pissed right now. The league that was dead and not supposed to get to the negotiation table is starting to show a pulse.

Reaction Score
Nick Carparelli comes across really well. There seems to be a new strategy that Bailey will no longer be speaking publicly and Nick is taking his place. I don't know if this will help Nick get the job as commissioner or if it indicates that he will at least keep his current job as second in command, but he seems like someone we should keep onboard. He is positive, likable and knows what to say.

Nick C seemed much better than our Acting BE commish in delivering a message -- "Until now we may have been not as bold in trying to get that message out (BE is alive message), but you are going see us become more and more bold as time goes by and we have more tangible things to talk about."

Nice thought process on Bowl possibilities (as FHCRE would say - they need to execute).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The SEC got a 15 year deal for a reported 2.85 billion.

The PAC 12 is getting just under 3 billion for 12 years from ESPN and Fox. That's with the Pac 12 network having 35 football games and 120 men's basketball game (every Pac 12 men's home game will be on ESPN, Fox or the Pac 12 Network).

If the Big East Football schools got ACC money (calling it 17 million/team/year) that's 2.2 billion for a decade, 2.7 billion for 12 years and 3.3 billion for 15. Before even paying the basketball schools a cent.

Reaction Score
Dick Weiss is reporting that his sources are saying NBC would be willing to pay $10m a year for football and $4m for basketball. I'd be pretty satisfied with that deal and it would still be better than the deal the BE turned down from ESPN which would demonstrate how crappy that deal really was.

refresh my memory, what was the offer we turned down and how much are we getting under our current contract?

Reaction Score
refresh my memory, what was the offer we turned down and how much are we getting under our current contract?
According to reports we turned down $11 million/for football and basketball, and between 4 and 6 depending on who you believe for basketball only schools. So a $14 million payday would be a decent bump, though a reasonable question might be whether it was worth the turmoil it caused...I think currently each football member gets 5.5 million +- and each basketball school gets about $3-3.5 million. I guess the other question might be the basketball schools reaction if the football schools get $14 but the hoops only get say $5-6.

Reaction Score
thanks. i guess if we took ESPN's offer we'd have made an additional $11 mil over the last two years of the contract. if we don't at least make $11 million more over the life of the contract than the $11m/year we'd have gotten it was a bad decision to turn it down i guess.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
thanks. i guess if we took ESPN's offer we'd have made an additional $11 mil over the last two years of the contract. if we don't at least make $11 million more over the life of the contract than the $11m/year we'd have gotten it was a bad decision to turn it down i guess.

I was wondering if anyone would think about the time value of money. Once the deal, whatever it is, is done, it will be easy enough to make an apples to apples comparision. FWIW, I don't think 11 million keeps Pitt or Cuse here, notwithstanding Pitt's protests to the contrary.

Reaction Score
Consider the source, the BE asst commissioner.

What did u expect him to say heading into negotiations, "we will be lucky to get 25 cents per school."

Just some meaningless posturing before reality hits the NBE.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score

What did u expect him to say heading into negotiations, "we will be lucky to get 25 cents per school."

Phew, finally some real analysis. I was going crazy waiting to hear what you had to say

Reaction Score

Isn't everything posturing at this point? Big 12 happy at 10, ACC selling us that their .95 cent deal is better than the other conference deals making $1.

Everyone's doing it.

Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...up-could-be-interested-in-big-east-tv-package

The BE Associate Commish posturing is one thing, but I don't think he's the one throwing numbers around. I think NBC is leaking this information in order to make sure that the BE doesn't sign with ESPN during the exclusive negotiating period. If, and it's a huge if, the BE gets this type of money it will be clear for all to see that Cuse and Pitt could have made more money in the BE. Hell, a BE with Cuse, Pitt, WVU, and TCU still in it could have garnered a deal that far surpassed the ACC's.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
if the nbe does get these type of #'s rumored. then espn will work with fox and cbs to do more damage. they will get the sec to add 2 more quick and the b12 to add to atleast 12 which will make the acc add more and kill off more of the nbe. they are just waiting to see what the nbe gets. espn will make a power 5 out of it in the end, there doing things slowly on purpose and baiting nbc into thinking its got something and investing into it before they pull the plug on its dreams.

just imagine the nbe gets 14mil or w/e the number is. the b12 gets between 20 and 22. then espn and fox(b12 tv) get a couple acc schools for 12. then the sec adds 2(espn and cbs) for 16. now the b10 is looking and the b12 knows it has to get to 16 before the pac starts sniffing. the acc to survive has to add also to keeps its new contract which already is the worst of the power 5. uconn, rutgers, temple, byu, usf will all get swept up in that by someone. possibly even more. they will make it a power 5 in the end and espn will f with nbc.

the final result is a power 5 confs with a mwc and a cusa fighting for 6th, but very far behind. when the playoff goes to 8, you can have 5 auto bids basically and 3 opens for a 2nd sec, a nd possible and others who are top 10 teams etc...i just can't wait for it all to happen and for uconn in 10 years to go from nothing to in the convo.

CL82

Reaction Score
Then we'll end up in a new conf so no worries. By the way you've just layed out the reasoning for NBC to do better than $14M.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If, and it's a huge if, the BE gets this type of money it will be clear for all to see that Cuse and Pitt could have made more money in the BE. Hell, a BE with Cuse, Pitt, WVU, and TCU still in it could have garnered a deal that far surpassed the ACC's.

That is the sad truth of it all, isn't it. Of all the defections, I get TCU. They've wanted the Big12 for quite some time, and they'll be playing regional teams in a conference that is going to pay them a lot of money. Of course, the higher money makes sense for the other defections too, but my gut tells me that if someone told WVU and especially Cuse that they would make ACC money by staying put, I think they would have. The past is the past, I'm afraid. Time to look to the future...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...up-could-be-interested-in-big-east-tv-package

The BE Associate Commish posturing is one thing, but I don't think he's the one throwing numbers around. I think NBC is leaking this information in order to make sure that the BE doesn't sign with ESPN during the exclusive negotiating period. If, and it's a huge if, the BE gets this type of money it will be clear for all to see that Cuse and Pitt could have made more money in the BE. Hell, a BE with Cuse, Pitt, WVU, and TCU still in it could have garnered a deal that far surpassed the ACC's.

Articles like that crack me up. The Daily News article is pure conjecture, filled with 'may' and 'might'. If something is repeated enough times I guess that changes it from conjecture to fact? Obviously they have interest they wouldn't be presenting to the league if they didn't.

If NBC wanted to give an idea of how much they would pay the league they would just tell them.

CL82

Reaction Score
Articles like that crack me up. The Daily News article is pure conjecture, filled with 'may' and 'might'. If something is repeated enough times I guess that changes it from conjecture to fact? Obviously they have interest they wouldn't be presenting to the league if they didn't.

If NBC wanted to give an idea of how much they would pay the league they would just tell them.
I believe that NBC is still prevented from openly negotiating. Well know soon enough just how much the deal once ESPN's exclusive period ends.

Reaction Score
I believe that NBC is still prevented from openly negotiating. Well know soon enough just how much the deal once ESPN's exclusive period ends.
They are, which would lend credence to this report, because it would behoove NBC to leak potential numbers so that the BE knows what they're dealing with in ESPN's exclusive timetable. Sort of pre-bidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom