BE announcement this week finally? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BE announcement this week finally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My only question......outside of the E-W division designees.

Right now the BE (West) seems the stronger of the two divisions by far.

Assuming there is a championship game and the winner goes to BCS game....fine.

But who gets the # 2, 3, 4, or possibly 5 bowl invites.......if that senario stands.

Based on SOS (conference), I'll bet the BE-(west) prevails.
Based on OOC games, the BE (west) may continue rivalries with some TCU, Fresno, Nevada, etc and perhaps and someone from Big 12. Not all these teams every year, but my point is they have a good potential for a very strong OOC schedule. Certainly a lot better than MAC or FCS schools choices for BE (east) OOC.

The only way for BE (east) to have a strong OOC schedule is to hope WVU, Syracuse, Pitt, etc agree to games. Drop the d------FCS/Yankee conference games. And play the better MAC teams.

So, my question today, based on level of play today, ......isn't it more likely BE (west) teams will pick up bowls # 2,3,4,5?

BE (east) is really weak division if you look at 2011 performance.

This is debatable. Other than Boise and Houston (for this year only), I think the East is stronger or worst case, comparable. You will never have perfect competition across divisions every year and you can only hope the best 2 teams are in opposite divisions. That rarely occurs in any conference championship. The SEC is heavy in the West this year and recent past, Big 12 South has been dominant for a long time, etc. You hope that the schools you bring in are committed to having strong programs that will improve competiveness and the strength of the entire league. I think what hurt the BE in the past is the parity. We tend to have a pretty compeptitive league year in and out (evidence by the many 5-2 champs we send to the BCS and the lack of top 25 teams due to W/L records). The league would benefit by having 1 or 2 dominant teams.

That said, you have to line up geographically and hope the rest works out.

Reaction Score
Las Vegas Bowl and Holiday Bowl...here we come. Think of the potential options. in addition to having bowls like those, the BE could also obtain a Texas-based bowl, as well as the Smurf Turf Bowl. I would bet there would be some secondary tie-ins to west and east bowls to accommodate teams in years where we have more teams qualifying than bowl tie-ins.

I would love to see something comparable to the following (7-8 tie-ins):

Top 3 teams:
BCS
Champs Sports (or upgrade)
Holiday (San Diego) ????

Next Tier:
Yankee Pinstripe
Belk/Charlotte
Las Vegas ????
Independence or Texas based Bowl ???

Bottom Tier:
Military or Armed Forces Bowl ????
Birmingham vs SEC
Smurf Turf

That's too many bowls. You'd expect eight contracts for this 12 team league, nine if we're contracting for ND also. Let's assume we are contracting for ND also, and ND has no bowl ties ins but with us so that if they are eligible 4 years and not BCS eligible, they take each of the top 4 bowls once). With five western teams, you'd expect three western (including TX) bowls.

So you'd expect something like this (with the ranking just being relative prestige of the bowls):

1. BCS
2. Champs.
3. Poinsettia or Vegas, either with a better date (I don't see the Holiday dumbing Pac or XII for us)
4. Charlotte (3 and 4 here would be even, with 3 taking from the west and 4 from the east)
5. Pinstripe (which I expect will have a better opponent than it currently does)
6. Mid-level TX bowl (Ticket City, Fort Worth or Houston)
7. Birmingham or Liberty
8. St. Pete
9. Boise

Of course, when all contracts come up for 2014, god only knows.

Reaction Score
I'm not too worried about how the bowls eyond #1 and #2 would work out. And conference balance I suspect would work out over time. My guess is that given the spread out nature of this thing, the western bowls would be inclined to take western division teams while the eastern ones would do the same and I imagine the league will work out an arrangement to let that happen. I imagine that Charlotte, for example, would much prefer UCONN-North Carolina over Houston-NC even though Houston might have a better "claim" on that bowl, and it would be in everyone's interest to work things out.

Reaction Score
That's too many bowls. You'd expect eight contracts for this 12 team league, nine if we're contracting for ND also.

Agree...that's why i said 7-8. I just listed some of the potential options. I do think that if we end up with 1 or more of the military academies we would also get one of the existing military bowls (with an auto tie-in to a bowl eligle academy).

Reaction Score
Agree...that's why i said 7-8. I just listed some of the potential options. I do think that if we end up with 1 or more of the military academies we would also get one of the existing military bowls (with an auto tie-in to a bowl eligle academy).

Giving it more thought, we lose WVU, which, if you're a bowl, is a big deal. But not thinking about regional tie ins, we gain BYU, Navy, and Boise, all of which are traveling well. If we also tie ND fully into our package (and that becomes easier if a bowl thinks that, in addition to ND one year, it can get BYU one year and maybe Navy one year and thank god never Pitt or Syracuse) it may be possible to make the bowl package materially better than the current one.

Reaction Score
UNBELIEVABLE that so many folks are assuming we have a done deal with specific members, etc. I've trashed Providence leadership repeatedly so this will be my last time. How can anyone count on anything at this point with the leadership "team" we have. On this subject and any other that calls for good leadership, I'm from Missouri and you have to "Show Me". Don't get me wrong, I want the very best for UCONN. My problem is with the folks in Providence who have demonstrated a lack of foresight and TWICE have stood back and taken it from the ACC. And you know where they've taken it from the ACC.

Reaction Score
UNBELIEVABLE that so many folks are assuming we have a done deal with specific members, etc. I've trashed Providence leadership repeatedly so this will be my last time. How can anyone count on anything at this point with the leadership "team" we have. On this subject and any other that calls for good leadership, I'm from Missouri and you have to "Show Me". Don't get me wrong, I want the very best for UCONN. My problem is with the folks in Providence who have demonstrated a lack of foresight and TWICE have stood back and taken it from the ACC. And you know where they've taken it from the ACC.

I don't think anyone's making assumptions. And as for Providence - yes, the leadership has failed to distinguish itself. But at the same time, the Big East membership is handicapped by its members, which include basketball-onlies who have their own agendas. Trying to lead the conference is like trying to herd cats.

I'm not sure what additional steps Providence could have realistically gotten buy-in for over the past year that would have stopped Pitt/Cuse from departing. Providence brought in TCU, which I think was actually a decent proactive move. Do you think that adding SMU and Houston would have changed anything? A $25 million exit fee might have changed things, but Providence would never have gotten the votes for that. So yeah, the results are disappointing, but we can't really throw the whole situation at the feet of the Big East leadership. A ton of it is structural.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom