BE announcement this week finally? | The Boneyard

BE announcement this week finally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://ht.ly/7u4SN

At 1:40 mark, UCF beat writer said it could happen this week. New divisions:

So according to what she's heard it'd be...

Western Division

UCF
BYU (she said BYU inclusion was looking very solid)
Boise
Houston
SMU

Eastern Division

USF
UCONN
Rutgers
Louisville
Cincy
Navy

Reaction Score
If it's UCF that gets pushed into the west, rather than Louisville or Cincy, I would be thrilled.
I agree - UCF to the west. Keep the BE 5 together as there is a history there. Navy - well, has to be East.

Reaction Score
Actually not a bad looking FB conference. Much stronger than the Pitt / SU version...

Reaction Score
Maybe there will be a BIG Press Conference this week with all the particpating football members in NYC at the new Big East Football Offices on Madison Ave? Wishful thinking - Providence can't think that big.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Agree that it would be stronger in this new lineup (if it happens) then with PittCuse, but all it would be is a farm system for the Big10, SEC, Big 12 and the ACC.

Reaction Score
Agree that it would be stronger in this new lineup (if it happens) then with PittCuse, but all it would be is a farm system for the Big10, SEC, Big 12 and the ACC.
Unless we make it to the new TV contract which could be very big????

Reaction Score
Loving the idea of sending UCF to the west instead of any current members. Nothing against them, but we need to keep the current 5 together in the East.

Reaction Score
Unless we make it to the new TV contract which could be very big????

TV deal is the big thing. If they can land a huge TV deal, it will finally give the conference some stability.

Reaction Score
Really hoping that things work out with BYU. Since they are indy they'll probably join for next season.

Reaction Score
Really hoping that things work out with BYU. Since they are indy they'll probably join for next season.

Source of the reporting is Salt Lake BYU beat writer, so I am assuming it is more real than all the bloggers etc. In addition, BYU already got a landing spot for their other sports. I just hope BE does not give BYU any special deal with their TV contract. BYU to the BE western division would make that division pretty strong.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Western Division Premium non-conference games

This is what Comcast would be buying to go along with the Eastern Division and Notre Dame

Air Force v TCU
Army v Navy
Navy v #10 South Carolina
BYU v Texas
UCF v #23 Southern Miss
SMU v Texas A&M
Houston V UCLA

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Looks good. I hope it gets announced soon so that Houston, SMU, Boise and BYU can boost their recruiting classes. Houston and SMU in particular could cause some damage in Texas.

Reaction Score
Western Division Premium non-conference games

This is what Comcast would be buying to go along with the Eastern Division and Notre Dame

Air Force v TCU
Army v Navy
Navy v #10 South Carolina
BYU v Texas
UCF v #23 Southern Miss
SMU v Texas A&M
Houston V UCLA

Army-Navy has its own contract with CBS and I doubt that will change. Some of those other games, particularly road games, may be locked in to other contracts.

Reaction Score
I think it's short sighted not to go to 14 or 16. That's because we still have so many wanderlusters in this conference, we have to be prepared for escapees to make their exit. Louisville is still pining for the B12, as I suppose Cincy may be. I think the B12 comes calling in the next couple years. Uconn wants the ACC for whatever reason. RU has eyes for the b1g. So we should bulk up to 16 with some football onlies to preserve the basketball. In the east Temple, West MSU for basketball and football. SDSU and ECU for football only? Or at least keep the eastern basketball partially separate from the western? Some schools in, some not. Let's build our own thing and keep looking forward, not backwards. And let's cede rights to the conference. Let's make it stable. We will prevail with this.

Reaction Score
I think it's short sighted not to go to 14 or 16. That's because we still have so many wanderlusters in this conference, we have to be prepared for escapees to make their exit. Louisville is still pining for the B12, as I suppose Cincy may be. I think the B12 comes calling in the next couple years. Uconn wants the ACC for whatever reason. RU has eyes for the b1g. So we should bulk up to 16 with some football onlies to preserve the basketball. In the east Temple, West MSU for basketball and football. SDSU and ECU for football only? Or at least keep the eastern basketball partially separate from the western? Some schools in, some not. Let's build our own thing and keep looking forward, not backwards. And let's cede rights to the conference. Let's make it stable. We will prevail with this.

I agree with this, add SDSU and another western school now not later. Hopefully our new members will push for it.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
12 meets the immediate need.

If each team schedules two BCS teams a year (a home and away) that gives Comcast 12 decent Football games plus the more media friendly intra-conference matchups/rivalries and the conference game.

There's a lot of content left over for a regional BE network.

As far as expansion goes there isn't any indication that Rutgers, Maryland or Virginia would improve their product or capture their markets but the BiG would become the default regional with the higher (70 cent per susbcriber) fee.

BYU signing with the BE is like telling the B12 they are all Fracked Up.

Reaction Score
I am trying not to get too excited about the potential for the revamped BE. The fear of having the carpet ripped out from under us still exists, but the addition of BYU and Boise along with the other western teams would really create some national waves. In short, the BE would be a stronger more stable conference than at any time since the departure of Miami and Va Tech.

On a team by team basis comparing teams that departed to the potential teams in the new conference:

Boise > WVU
BYU > Pitt
Houston and others > Syracuse

Air Force and Navy are great for TV ratings as people just love watching the academies and their tradition.

I agree with the concept of keeping all the remaining BE teams together in the eastern conference. Keeping UConn, Rutgers, Cincy, Louisville and USF along with adding Navy just makes the most sense. UCF would be the odd team out in terms of travel, but given their NCAA violations I don't think they would have much to bargain with if they want into the conference. In short, if UCF balks there are plenty of other teams both in the east and west that would line up for an offer (ECU, Memphis, Tulane, Nevada, SDSU ect...)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If this happens, all things being considered, I would be pretty happy.

A typical UConn schedule:

FCS
MAC
MAC/BCS
BCS
Cincy
BYU
South Florida
Houston
Louisville
SMU
Navy
Rutgers
BE Conf Championship Game

Quality football teams, the only thing really missing is rivals besides Rutgers. That part sucks, but at least we'll be playing good quality opponents.

Reaction Score
I really think the curiousity factor would put more fannies in the seats.

A home schedule of RU, Boise, BYU, USF, Tenn, Temple would be incredible. Every game would sell out.

Reaction Score
My only question......outside of the E-W division designees.

Right now the BE (West) seems the stronger of the two divisions by far.

Assuming there is a championship game and the winner goes to BCS game....fine.

But who gets the # 2, 3, 4, or possibly 5 bowl invites.......if that senario stands.

Based on SOS (conference), I'll bet the BE-(west) prevails.
Based on OOC games, the BE (west) may continue rivalries with some TCU, Fresno, Nevada, etc and perhaps and someone from Big 12. Not all these teams every year, but my point is they have a good potential for a very strong OOC schedule. Certainly a lot better than MAC or FCS schools choices for BE (east) OOC.

The only way for BE (east) to have a strong OOC schedule is to hope WVU, Syracuse, Pitt, etc agree to games. Drop the d------FCS/Yankee conference games. And play the better MAC teams.

So, my question today, based on level of play today, ......isn't it more likely BE (west) teams will pick up bowls # 2,3,4,5?

BE (east) is really weak division if you look at 2011 performance.

Reaction Score
I expect the Big East to pick up some new bowl alliances out West. In a 12 team league, we will have to expand our bowl partners.

Reaction Score
I expect the Big East to pick up some new bowl alliances out West. In a 12 team league, we will have to expand our bowl partners.
Las Vegas Bowl and Holiday Bowl...here we come. Think of the potential options. in addition to having bowls like those, the BE could also obtain a Texas-based bowl, as well as the Smurf Turf Bowl. I would bet there would be some secondary tie-ins to west and east bowls to accommodate teams in years where we have more teams qualifying than bowl tie-ins.

It will be interesting to see the bowl tie-ins and always nice to get a chance to attend new bowls. I would suspect that bowl eligible teams would primarily be based in their regions (West teams stay West and East teams stay East) for lower tier bowls (teams 4-?). It wouldn't make sense to send Uconn or RU out west, while BYU or Boise goes to North Carloina if the bowls and opponents are comparable.

I think one of the issues when you have many bowl tie-ins (for example: 6 or more) is that the conference could ultimately decide who goes where (a la the ACC). The ACC seems to view the bowls in the 4-8 range as interchangable and they seem to decide which team goes where. I know bowls want the ability to select its teams (probably with input from the conference), but I wish the system was a reward based one that determined the bowl based upon the order of finish.
I would love to see something comparable to the following (7-8 tie-ins):

Top 3 teams:
BCS
Champs Sports (or upgrade)
Holiday (San Diego) ????

Next Tier:
Yankee Pinstripe
Belk/Charlotte
Las Vegas ????
Independence or Texas based Bowl ???

Bottom Tier:
Military or Armed Forces Bowl ????