BCS commissioners approve 4 team playoff | The Boneyard

BCS commissioners approve 4 team playoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
CHICAGO (AP) [--] The BCS commissioners reached a consensus on a model four-team seeded playoff that will be presented to the university presidents next week for approval.
@Bodytype:
The commissioners who have been working on reshaping college football's postseason to create the first major college playoff met for four hours and emerged together with a commitment to stand behind a plan. Though they were stingy about providing specifics of that plan.
They said they were reluctant to share too many details before they had a chance to discuss them with their bosses, the university presidents. Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott did say the two semifinals would be worked into the existing major bowls and the site of the national championship game will be bid out similarly to the Super Bowl.
The BCS Presidential Oversight Committee meets Tuesday in Washington, and the commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick all stressed that ultimately the decision lies with their bosses. And that the presidents will have more than just one model to talk about.
The Big Ten and Pac-12 presidents have both expressed support for the so-called plus-one model, which gives the BCS a new look by selecting the championship game participants after the bowls are played instead of creating a pair of national semifinals, which is what the commissioners came away from the latest meeting in Chicago backing.
"I'm comfortable both of those will still be discussed at the president's meeting," Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany said.
He added: "I think we're very unified. There are issues that have yet to be finalized."

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Not a shot ND joins a conference if this model is accepted. A committee will select the four best teams?? This is a horrible idea as it's solidifying the good old boys club. But enough of that right now....ND has zero need to join a conference with this news. A committee can select ND if they think it will draw the most money for their lucrative bowl and ND is in the Top 5 or even 6. So much for all the people that believed ND would jump to the Big 12. I also don't see any need for FSU or Clemson to go to the Big 12.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I essentially became a UConn football around when the 'New' Big East formed. I would try to watch as many games as possible and check out the other conferences as well.

Year after this playoff BS has just worn my enthusiasm for the sport and with the latest conference expansion mess I just am just fed up by the sport as a whole.

It's UConn or nothing for me at this point.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I essentially became a UConn football around when the 'New' Big East formed. I would try to watch as many games as possible and check out the other conferences as well.

Year after this playoff BS has just worn my enthusiasm for the sport and with the latest conference expansion mess I just am just fed up by the sport as a whole.

It's UConn or nothing for me at this point.

I disagree. I've loved college football my whole life and Saturday's in the fall are my absolute favorite. I lvoe that I can get up at 9:00, turn on College Gameday at 10 and start watching college football all day from noon until midnight. The best part? I can watch multiple games on multiple channels during similar time frames. Unlike the NFL, which I also love, I can watch college football on SNY, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ABC, NBC, CBS, VS (or whatever it is now), etc....if you don't like a game on ESPN or if it's a blowout, switch to a multitude of other games. Fall Saturdays are amazing and no matter what happens to all this conference crap I'll still watch every weekend.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I disagree. I've loved college football my whole life and Saturday's in the fall are my absolute favorite. I lvoe that I can get up at 9:00, turn on College Gameday at 10 and start watching college football all day from noon until midnight. The best part? I can watch multiple games on multiple channels during similar time frames. Unlike the NFL, which I also love, I can watch college football on SNY, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ABC, NBC, CBS, VS (or whatever it is now), etc....if you don't like a game on ESPN or if it's a blowout, switch to a multitude of other games. Fall Saturdays are amazing and no matter what happens to all this conference crap I'll still watch every weekend.

No matter what I'll always have my UConn season tickets, but I'm just worn out by the sport. I'm sure I'll tune in for some Big East games, but every single year it's the same god damn story. I'm just sick of it. It's just how I feel about it all.

Reaction Score
No matter what I'll always have my UConn season tickets, but I'm just worn out by the sport. I'm sure I'll tune in for some Big East games, but every single year it's the same god damn story. I'm just sick of it. It's just how I feel about it all.

We will continue to cheer for UCONN no matter what conference we will be in. If it is the New BE, so be it. I have no problem with UCONN competing in this new conference. I am pretty sure some teams from this conference will make some serious noise in the coming years on the national stage. There are a ton of potential in this new conference the way it has been constructed.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have wondered for a few years whether Delaney really represents his school Presidents. The midwest state budgets are in flames, and Delaney continues to argue on behalf of a bowl system that costs these schools millions a year in lost revenue. How can Illinois, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State or the Michigan schools support Delaney's position when those states are slashing work forces and spending overall?

Reaction Score
don't get too upset that it'll be a committee picking. the main goal is just to get a multiple game playoff. if the four team model works well and makes money, which should be a no-brainer, than it'll quickly be expanded to an eight team model. this is just the start of the snowball. i'd love to see 8 teams meet in the BCS bowls on New Year's Day as the start of an 8 team playoff ending two weeks later and i think it's inevitably going to result in that once they start the ball rolling. realistically i think it'd be safe to say it will grow to 8 teams by the time we're in any position to contend for a championship

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
don't get too upset that it'll be a committee picking. the main goal is just to get a multiple game playoff. if the four team model works well and makes money, which should be a no-brainer, than it'll quickly be expanded to an eight team model. this is just the start of the snowball. i'd love to see 8 teams meet in the BCS bowls on New Year's Day as the start of an 8 team playoff ending two weeks later and i think it's inevitably going to result in that once they start the ball rolling. realistically i think it'd be safe to say it will grow to 8 teams by the time we're in any position to contend for a championship

I'd still like to see a 12 team playoff. Round one is 8 teams, with the four top seeds getting a bye. This allows for each conference champion to be an auto qualifier, as in basketball. I think that's critical. And since the top 4 get byes, the big conference champs can still feel "privileged".

Reaction Score
Exactly. Once the people on the periphery of the sport see the potential for an avalanche of money, they're going to start asking relevant questions about why we haven't done this sooner, and why aren't we expanding this thing. This is the start. And this is what the bowl committees and insiders have so long tried to forestall.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Agreed. Any playoff is a good start, but when I think of the "arguments" that were made to justify a closed BCS game, I can easily see the same thing happening with a playoff committee.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
7 Game regular Season then Rank everyone. Then we begin the "120 team Tournament". Top Seeds get to play at Home. After the first round the losers go into a NIT 2nd tier-type Tournament and the Winners continue until bowl season when the current bowls will handle the final 3 (or so) rounds (would finally be exciting to watch some of these Bowls!). All teams will have a minimum of 9 games and a miximum of 14 games. The first weekend will be bigger than the NCAA BB Tournament. The Championship game will be played on the Saturday of the Superbowl.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
with all of this bcs stuff getting set up i am foaming at the mouth right now for the nbe. as long as were stuck in it i want the best for uconn. this season bsu will be good, not as good as the past 5 years but still a top 25 team. if the qb issue turns out not to be a issue then they may be really good potentially. the big east is wide open right now and any of cincy/lville/usf/uconn/ruty could potentially make a run(we dont root for cuse/pitt and temple i dont think is going to be ready for a big season yet). ucf is getting marked as the major sleeper this fall. love it. i pray that 1 big east team and 1 of ucf/bsu or any other future member makes a big run. 11-1 12-0 type run. this year could potentially be a shot for our future league(as of right now) to make a stand and really f things up. just imagine 2 nbe members in 2014 that both made bcs games in 2012. it would be a huge building block for the league.

Reaction Score
They all talk about the four team playoff, but who gets the money?

With the current BCS I believe each team gets a somewhat similar share.

Seems to me with the 4 team playoff the old BCS bowl shares go down and the top 3 games split revenue just 6 ways. Great for SEC, Big 12, BiG 10, but not so good for ACC, and BE.

Time for Congress to get involved, and use the BB model as egalitarium representation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom