BC | The Boneyard

BC

Reaction Score
UConn 14-16
Pitt 16-17
Georgetown 14-18
St. John's 14-18
Boston College 9-23
So more than half of original BE team's with losing records - conference realignment has unquestionably & perhaps irreparably hurt basketball at all of these schools. Only consolation is BCU continues to get the worst of it.

Reaction Score
Not sure how much you watched of BC this year but they have two underclassmen running the backcourt with serious talent in Jerome Robinson and Ky Bowman. Ky Bowman was just awarded All ACC Freshman honors. They may finally have some pieces to build on.

Reaction Score
We got hurt the worst because those teams are at least in better conferences. BTW, look at our record vs Pitt and some of their close losses against quality teams. How do we do against quality teams? How many conference games would we have won in the ACC? Bloodbath.

Reaction Score
Conference win% since joining the ACC:

Basketball
Louisville 66.67
Miami 60.38
Notre Dame 59.72
Syracuse 58.33
Pittsburgh 51.85
Va Tech 41.1
Boston College 34.65

Football
Louisville 75.93
Va Tech 72.12
Notre Dame 60
Pittsburgh 53.85
Miami 52.53
Boston College 45.83
Syracuse 28.13

What does BC bring to the ACC? Not much- no success, no fans, no ratings. They should send Syracuse a thank you card, though.

Reaction Score
Not sure how much you watched of BC this year but they have two underclassmen running the backcourt with serious talent in Jerome Robinson and Ky Bowman. Ky Bowman was just awarded All ACC Freshman honors. They may finally have some pieces to build on.
Saw bits of a few on TV and one game in person (group event for kids). I'd say they are improved despite record. Bowman yes, Robinson eh - he can shoot but an atrocious liability on defense. They should get above .500 overall next year, but they are never going to be amongst the top teams in the ACC. Basketball wise they are a total afterthought in that conference, an RC Cola vs Coke & Pepsi. Classic case of outsider trying to compete in a localized market dominated by insiders with huge presence & market share.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Looks like Bowman blew out his knee the other day.

What does BC bring to the ACC?
Cable penetration in the Boston market.

Reaction Score
BCU got in the ACC by hiding in Miami's butt when the Canes joined the ACC. UM wanted a northern team included because of their alumni in the northeast. BCU was willing to hide in Miami's butt and crawled out very stinky in a new conference.

The ACC did NOT want BCU but Miami, which the ACC coveted, insisted that BCU be included as a term of the agreement.

Reaction Score
They still have this mediocre Jim Christian coaching?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Reflow the list of ex-BE teams by revenue and you will see none of those universities or athletic depts are dismayed except for UConn's.

Pitt never won anything in the BE. Now they are slightly less relevant and getting 5x the revenue.

Reaction Score
Reflow the list of ex-BE teams by revenue and you will see none of those universities or athletic depts are dismayed except for UConn's.

Pitt never won anything in the BE. Now they are slightly less relevant and getting 5x the revenue.
Interesting, let's see that - actual #s $ before & after. Fans can judge mostly by scoreboard, but clearly the ADs and University scorecard has $ first.

Certainly attendance, TV viewership etc.. is down for BC since the move b/c they haven't been competitive and nothing about the other teams in the conference draw differently in Boston than they would any other market (i.e. yes Boston decent sized market but not huge and people in Boston that tune in to watch Duke or UNC would be no different in any other city north of DC). And ultimately a big source of $ is fans/alumni who are keeping score and I'm certain BC is struggling there. They fired the coach pre-Christian essentially at this same point forcing themselves into a Sixers-esque continual rebuild. No draft picks to pretend its worthwhile so even if they are making revenue sharing money the AD/admin has to be feeling some negative pressure.

Reaction Score
UConn 14-16
Pitt 16-17
Georgetown 14-18
St. John's 14-18
Boston College 9-23
So more than half of original BE team's with losing records - conference realignment has unquestionably & perhaps irreparably hurt basketball at all of these schools. Only consolation is BCU continues to get the worst of it.

Pitt was not an original BE team.

Reaction Score
UConn 14-16
Pitt 16-17
Georgetown 14-18
St. John's 14-18
Boston College 9-23

.........and Syracuse lost to all five of these teams

Reaction Score
Thank our wonderful corporate welfare partner in Bristol for this screwing.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

Ky is one of my favorite non-Huskies, I love his smooth game.

Reaction Score
Thank our wonderful corporate welfare partner in Bristol for this screwing.
What do you mean? I always thought it was BC and Miami (and even cuse) conspiring to keep uconn out of the acc.

Reaction Score
Pitt was not an original BE team.
Semantics, true I guess in that Pitt joined in 1982 but you know what I mean - 9 'original' school conference from 1982-1991. Then it expanded but was still more or less the BE until 2005 when things got very wonky (SFlorida exemplifying).

Amusingly according to Wikipedia the 'original' BE lasted from 1979-2013 & is now the AAC:
The Big East's nucleus is composed of the "Catholic Seven" members of the original Big East Conference: DePaul University, Georgetown University, Marquette University, Providence College, Seton Hall University, St. John's University, and Villanova University. In December 2012, these schools chose to split from the football playing schools in order to focus on basketball, and in March 2013 reached a settlement, whereby they acquired the Big East Conference name, logos, and the rights to the men's basketball tournament. Butler University, Creighton University, and Xavier University also joined the conference on its July 1, 2013 launch date

The American Athletic Conference is the legal successor of the old Big East; it retains the old Big East's structure and inherited the league's automatic berth in the Bowl Championship Series. However, both conferences claim 1979 as their founding date, and the same history up to 2013

Reaction Score
Cable penetration in the Boston market.[/QUOTE]

Their five fans are loving life watching them play as long as they aren't opposite Game of Thrones....

Reaction Score
Cable penetration in the Boston market.

Their five fans are loving life watching them play as long as they aren't opposite Game of Thrones....[/QUOTE]
As someone who lives in the Boston area I can tell you that nobody cares about BC athletics up here unless they went to BC. And that's not a ton of people. It's not a public school and it's in a big city with successful pro franchises in all the major sports (which is what almost every sport fan here follows). BC isn't like say Wake Forest in Winston-Salem or Syracuse U. in Syracuse where there's nothing else and the locals follow those teams. Nobody cares about BC in Boston. ACC Sports may be on TV up here. But nobody is watching them.

I think there is a bigger following for UConn sports up here. Although that may just be my bias because I notice it more because I'm a UConn fan.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Their five fans are loving life watching them play as long as they aren't opposite Game of Thrones....
As someone who lives in the Boston area I can tell you that nobody cares about BC athletics up here unless they went to BC.
It's not about ratings, it's about cable boxes.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
UConn 14-16
Pitt 16-17
Georgetown 14-18
St. John's 14-18
Boston College 9-23
St. John's sucked long before conference realignment. The last time they had a respectable program was the 90's and their glory days of the Chris Mullin era was 30+ years ago. Pitt, Cuse and BC have clearly suffered. A coaching change at Pitt and losing Mustafa Heron aren't helping.

Reaction Score
BC is 34-52 vs Uconn. I am happy Uconn will always own the head to head, easily I might add, vs BC. Including 29-3 since 1987.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom