BC Gets H&H with Bama | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BC Gets H&H with Bama

Reaction Score
So their own school works against their own residents?!?!

I do remember that girl from NJ who got expelled for a racist rant. Was wondering how some girl from NJ ended up in Tuscaloosa.

Not sure if 'works against their own residents' is the correct way to state it. The number of in-state has not dropped significantly, if at all, over the last 20 years but total enrollment has mushroomed as a result of out of state and out of country students. The net result is an almost totally refurbished campus without the need for the state to significantly increase public funding.

Reaction Score
Not sure if 'works against their own residents' is the correct way to state it. The number of in-state has not dropped significantly, if at all, over the last 20 years but total enrollment has mushroomed as a result of out of state and out of country students. The net result is an almost totally refurbished campus without the need for the state to significantly increase public funding.
And an educated workforce that potentially stays in Alabama.

Reaction Score
And an educated workforce that potentially stays in Alabama.
You may be correct but I have seen no firm data on the subject. I do know anecdotally that the available work force, with low cost of living, has been a draw for several small to mid sized techie companies relocating to the Bham area in the last three years. Huntsville continues to grow the space and military presence and is in the process of adding what will in effect be the 'back office' of the FBI with a workforce of about 4,000 on the Redstone Military Campus.

Reaction Score
It's true for more than just Bama. Out of state students bring in more income via higher tuition rates.
In state students still have the directional Alabama's for in state education- South, West or North Alabama.
Auburn, UAB and Alabama Huntsville are other in state public options. And I'd argue each of them offer programs as good as if not better than what they'd get at Tuscaloosa.
UConn was the only school I applied to and to this day I consider it a miracle that I was admitted, given that I had a 2.5 GPA for my junior and senior years and got an F for one quarter in my Theology class in my senior year at Fairfield Prep and never got above 1000 back on those old SATs.

I would only trade my experiences at UConn for an Ivy League school or a NESCAC school (or maybe an ACC school down south). So they are absolutely robbing their own in-state residents of the opportunity to experience what they built.

Reaction Score
60% out of state? That's profit over the well being of their own state residents. What's the most highly regarded academic institution in Alabama, anyway?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Person that I knows son, from Ohio, was leaning towards Purdue for Engineering. The were discussing what their financial aide package might look at with the Purdue Admission's department. The person on the Purdue Addmission department suggeted they look at Alabama becuase of the packages Alabam was offering. They ended up at Alabama for free.
a/k/a, he wasn't getting into Purdue. Purdue Engineering is significantly better than Alabama, and you'd pay more to go their. Direct pipeline to leading companies.

Reaction Score
a/k/a, he wasn't getting into Purdue. Purdue Engineering is significantly better than Alabama, and you'd pay more to go their. Direct pipeline to leading companies.

While Engineering is much better at Purdue...Alabama's Business School is equally ranked...at #44

Reaction Score
Future Alabama P5 opponents:

2021 Miami (Neutral site)
2022 @Texas
2023 Texas
2024 @Wisconsin
2025 @Florida St, Wisconsin
2026 @WVU, Florida St
2027 WVU, @Ohio State
2028 Ohio State, @Oklahoma St
2029 @Notre Dame, Oklahoma St
2030 @Georgia Tech, Notre Dame
2031 Georgia Tech
2032 Arizona, @Oklahoma
2033 @Arizona, Oklahoma
2034 @Virginia Tech
2035 Virginia Tech

Note that in every home and home deal Alabama plays the away game first.
Proof, without a doubt, that Alabama fears wins will be hard to come by once Saban retires...........

Reaction Score
Careful now. No increase in public funding? Surely you jest.
Socially, economically and fiscally, Connecticut is being left in the lurch by many Southern and Western states, but there are many here who gain some level of satisfaction from mocking and belittling those states based on 60 year old stereotypes.
Sure Alabama has problems, but I'll bet minority home ownership and many other measures of growth and development outstrip those of Connecticut and that's a sad commentary about a state with such a rich history of cutting edge industries, beautiful old towns, hills, rivers, the Sound and so many other assets going to waste as people bail out (such as UConn's latest President).
Imagine the Legislators and Governor touting sports' betting as economic development. Have any of them given a thought to and followed through on leveraging a long term plan focusing on the excellent STEM programs at UConn? Hit and miss is the best case.
Only the pandemic, driving people from the misery of taxes and crime in NY, for example, has recently resurrected real estate values. How long will that last?

Reaction Score
Proof, without a doubt, that Alabama fears wins will be hard to come by once Saban retires...........
They know it will. But they're scheduling to market their fine institution.

Reaction Score
without a doubt, that Alabama fears wins will be hard to come by once Saban retires...........

Only the craziest Bama fans expect Saban's successor will be able to produce the same results. Thus the universal sigh of relief in Tuscaloosa when he signed his new contract. Between Bryant's retirement and Saban's hiring they won only 1 National and 3 Conference championships. Most Bamaers see this as totally unacceptable but also understand that with Saban they got what may turn out to be the greatest coach since Wooden was at UCLA.

Reaction Score
Only the craziest Bama fans expect Saban's successor will be able to produce the same results. Thus the universal sigh of relief in Tuscaloosa when he signed his new contract. Between Bryant's retirement and Saban's hiring they won only 1 National and 3 Conference championships. Most Bamaers see this as totally unacceptable but also understand that with Saban they got what may turn out to be the greatest coach since Wooden was at UCLA.
Alabama could have had more titles had Saban adopted the spread/hurry up offense sooner. That being said, Saban is probably the greatest college coach of our time and is definitely one of the best all time. I also like that he kinda the program of misfit ex head coaches and gives people a second chance to prove themselves. Bama fans on the other hand, hate them with a passion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom