BC coach resigns | The Boneyard

BC coach resigns

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A troubled program that cannot regain the traction of an earlier time.

Reaction Score
A troubled program that cannot regain the traction of an earlier time.

although they showed some improvement this past season, I think you can say the same thing for their men's program

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
What happened to Kathy Iglesias?

Cathy Inglese resigned from BC shortly after the move to the ACC because the AD was putting all his eggs in the football basket at expense of the other sports. I think the move has backfired. After a few years, Inglese surfaced as head coach at Rhode Island, but never was able to turn that program around.

It's sad; Inglese had BC relevant in WBB. They haven't been the same since she departed.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If BC is serious about women's basketball, maybe they should take a look a Carla
Berube. She lives in the neighborhood and is a proven winner. Someone is going to sign her up soon, if they don't.
It would be nice if that happened, but she's been a bright star in Div III WCBB for many years now and has not left Tufts. I'm just not sure she wants a bigger stage...

Reaction Score
If BC is serious about women's basketball, maybe they should take a look a Carla
Berube. She lives in the neighborhood and is a proven winner. Someone is going
to sign her up soon, if they don't.

Uhh, I doubt a Catholic school would hire a lesbian. And please don't start about whether they should or whether it's reasonable or not. That's not the point.

NESCAC jobs are good coaching gigs. Pay is good for D3. You get players who are really smart and committed. There's some, but not intense recruiting. And it's a great college environment. Given her success, she could stay there forever. Not to mention that she lives in a gay-friendly area.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Thats too bad... seemed like a nice fellow. They have a few good players... hope they dont transfer out.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Berube. She lives in the neighborhood and is a proven winner. Someone is going
to sign her up soon, if they don't.

I think you have to ask if BC is serious about any sports. They are not showing signs of strength in any sport. Not sure what their plans are - other than maybe staying slightly above average in mens ice hockey.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think you have to ask if BC is serious about any sports. They are not showing signs of strength in any sport. Not sure what their plans are - other than maybe staying slightly above average in mens ice hockey.

Hey there:
Actually, they are doing really well in two women's sports right now:
- their women's lax team made the NCAA finals last year and are doing well again;
- their women's hockey team is currently 30-3-3.

Both the women's soccer and field hockey team were above .500 and the soccer team is young and should improve this year.

However, there needs to some agreement on the direction on the department.

ND hoops plays BC twice a year and I can tell you Erik Johnson is a class guy who the ND staff liked interacting with. Don't know too many coaches who would also have bouquets ready for the opposition's seniors on BC's senior day, like he did for the Irish.

The team, unfortunately, has been in steady decline, with a high-profile transfer recently (to Vanderbilt). However, I was surprised to see that he had put together his largest recruiting class in years, with six players coming in this fall. The quality might not match the quantity but this was a marked improvement on past years. So, there will be some players coming in next year and there are two pretty good Aussie underclassman. However, the administration decided it would be best to have this class guided by a new coach.
2018 High School Girls' Basketball Recruits - Boston College - ESPN

As for possible successors: I'd like to think that if Carla Berube wanted a jump to D-1, that the commute to Chestnut Hill might be tolerable, but I hear Vowelguy's point -- even if the Jesuits may be more open to diverse lifestyles than other congregations, the alums might not.

ND plays in the same conference so even though a lot of BC's feel and atmosphere might seem familiar to the Irish coaching tree, I don't see anyone associated with MM applying there soon.

Stay tuned.....

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Uhh, I doubt a Catholic school would hire a lesbian. And please don't start about whether they should or whether it's reasonable or not. That's not the point.

NESCAC jobs are good coaching gigs. Pay is good for D3. You get players who are really smart and committed. There's some, but not intense recruiting. And it's a great college environment. Given her success, she could stay there forever. Not to mention that she lives in a gay-friendly area.
I don't know that I buy either argument completely. Berube wouldn't leave Tufts for a D1 school due to family commitments in the Boston region. Well, BC fits that main requirement so it would/could be a no-brainer for BC to reach out to her. While Catholic schools or any "religious school" (thinking Baptists down south) would tend to shy away from controversial figures, I don't think the Boston Diocese would be too vocal against this for any number of reasons-most due to their own hypocrisy pertaining to their recent priest behavior that was brought to light.

Hopefully the Athletic Department takes some of the ACC Conference money and puts it back into their sport programs that actually compete within the ACC vs. Hockey which does not.

I have a friend who is a BC Grad and his daughter was being recruited by BC for soccer and after her visit to the school, he was dismayed to hear she had no interest in the school due to her belief that Athletic Department did not care about most of the sports there. This view had to come from the team itself so kudos to that soccer coach for making the best of crummy situation. The ACC money grab to add Pitt and BC to their roster of schools, bloating it to 15 members did not and does not make sense for the vast majority of their sports programs. Sad, just really sad.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Inglese, you mean? Kathy Iglesias is Julio's sister. :rolleyes:
julio_cathy.jpg

Reaction Score
By all accounts Carla Berube has been very happy at Tufts and has been very
successful as well. I hope she doesn't put the Peter Principle to the test (managers
rise to the level of their incompetence). D1 is a whole different ballgame from D3.

Nancy Fahey won 737 games and 5 NCAA championships at D3 Washington Univ.
before taking over at Illinois this year. Illinois went winless in the Big 10 this year.
Maybe she'll get it turned around eventually, but she's obviously not off to a good
start.

Stick with a good thing Carla.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cathy Inglese resigned from BC shortly after the move to the ACC because the AD was putting all his eggs in the football basket at expense of the other sports. I think the move has backfired. After a few years, Inglese surfaced as head coach at Rhode Island, but never was able to turn that program around.

It's sad; Inglese had BC relevant in WBB. They haven't been the same since she departed.
Kathy Inglese was a superlative coach whose teams gave UConn great agita. She recruited great players and the result was some epic battles, particularly in the Big East tournament games at Rutgers. I can recall one of those tournaments where, between games, we sat with some of the BC players in the stands. As much as I disliked BC, these young women were articulate and focused. They were precisely the kinds of persons we would want at UConn.

Kathy resigned from her job after the BC athletic department made clear that it would throttle back on her efforts to field highly competitive teams. She coached at URI for several years with only a modicum of success. I believe that she no longer works as a coach. A sad story.

As to Carla Berube, I think that the sexual orientation issue is a red herring. If the Jesuits running BC want to hire a gay coach, they could do so with impunity. This becomes a moot issue because there is no way that Carla Berube takes a job at a university that flaunts its willingness to embrace mediocrity in women’s basketball.

Reaction Score
Cathy resigned from her job after the BC athletic department made clear that it would throttle back on her efforts to field highly competitive teams.

As I said earlier, she did not resign willingly.

If the Jesuits running BC want to hire a gay coach, they could do so with impunity.

I do not believe that is the case. Nor do I believe the school would seek to create problems for itself over a womens' BB coach.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Isn't BC a Jesuit school, though?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom