BC Coach Jeff Hafley post game comments on UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BC Coach Jeff Hafley post game comments on UConn

Reaction Score
He is. Is he wrong?
BC has the benefit of being in and recruiting under the banner of a P4 conference.
The results over the past two seasons suggest that BC is underperforming given that advantage.
Would anyone have been surprised with a 20-30 point beat down?
Ok they had the better team but that’s not the issue. It’s the classless post game comments that you don’t expect from a coach. This isn’t just some fan’s comment after a game.

He says “no disrespect” but then proceeds to disrespect Uconn several times. He says they let Uconn stay in the games but I don’t really see where BC put themselves in position to score more points. Yes, BC effectively ran the ball (& dominated possession) but Uconn made stops on some key series - so credit Uconn for that. It was obviously his game strategy to pound the ball on the ground but BC wasn’t good enough to put in the end zone more than they did. It’s how he coached it. Bottom line is Uconn was in position to tie or take the lead late in the 4th quarter.

And his comments were’t just about last night. He goes on to say “when we play Uconn we expect to win”. As if they’re on a level with Alabama or Ohio State and even their coaches wouldn’t diss a team like that. This from the coach who lost to Uconn last year & escaped another scare last night - I’m sure he was nervous in the 4th quarter when Uconn had it inside their 40.

BC is also the athletic program that contributed the least to the success of the old BE than any other program. And the same can be said for what they’ve done for the ACC since joining it.

Reaction Score
What I gather from these comments are dissapointment that his team isn’t as good as he thought.
He will be getting his due! However, all 4 games remaining on the schedule look very winnable if they play well. 6-2 might get them 3rd in the ACC, no hotseat there.

Reaction Score
quote-the-lady-doth-protest-too-much-methinks-william-shakespeare-26-73-43.jpg

Reaction Score
Good catch But think we were a much better team relative to where BC is at. Would you agree?

I still don’t like it.
Yeah, even BC fans probably thought is was a crappy form of apology from a program that had all the advantages in the game.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Below is what Hafley had to say about UConn leading up to the game. In light of what he had to say afterwards, it seems like his pregame comments were merely coach speak or insincere platitudes, and he let his true colors show after the game.

Key points:

• UConn has a better record than their 1-6 suggests, with most of their games being one-possession contests.
  • BC's head coach expresses respect for UConn QB Taquan Roberson and praises his accuracy and athleticism.
  • The BC offense has been improving, with the run game, various formations, and multiple personnel groups becoming more comfortable.
Boston College head coach Jeff Hafley provided insight on the upcoming game against UConn during his Wednesday Zoom presser. Hafley acknowledged that despite UConn’s 1-6 record, they are a formidable opponent. He praised UConn quarterback Taquan Roberson’s effectiveness, accuracy, and athleticism. Hafley also highlighted the challenges of defending UConn’s ‘T’ formation and the importance of studying previous matchups when preparing for an opponent. Additionally, Hafley emphasized the team’s improvement on third downs and expressed excitement for the upcoming game, calling on fans to create a hostile environment.

Source: UConn's Misleading Record Contradicts Competitive Showings

Reaction Score
Hafley is not a good coach. He lost to NIU and barely beat HC & Army. He has zero control over his team. We should pray that BCU keeps him. BCU has the worst sports management in the ACC and thus they continue to hurt the ACC. Don’t be surprised if that was their last win this season.

Reaction Score
That was a national championship calibra team, hardly BC.
Read the article DA. The remark was not in referencing the championship team. And again for you and yours BC has all the advantages when it comes to football.

Last edited:

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
We know we suck he’s just reiterating it, but it doesn’t mean we still can’t send a brick through their bus window? Right?

Reaction Score
Read the article DA. The remark was not in referencing the championship team. And again for you and yours BC has all the advantages when it comes to football.
I was referencing and replying to your comment (with it visible in my response), not the article.

Reaction Score
He is saying that he doesn't consider UConn a peer or near-peer competitor of Boston College. He's right, and that's why his comment grates. He looks at UConn the same way UConn looks at UMass. If Jim Mora made similar comments about UMass, this board wouldn't even blink. I fully expected BC to win by 30, and he probably did as well. This was a team that almost upset Florida State, after all. There is a sense of "We played down to our competition" in what he said.

The irony here is that, however bad you think UConn is playing, UConn has only really been blown out once. Jim Mora has the team playing much better than should be reasonably expected. I don't know why people are calling for his head. I don't know who they think would replace him. UConn is for structural reasons exceedingly limited in its ability to recruit good staff. There needs to be a realistic assessment of what is possible. There is no caped crusading coach out there who will arrive and save the day.

Two years ago, I would have said UConn was a peer competitor of UMass. I don't think that's true anymore. I now expect UConn to beat UMass. Convincingly. That's progress however small.
Hmm, I’m not that confident. I hope for a win vs UMass. They are going to play hard.

Reaction Score
Based on their performance the last few years, BC should not expect to beat anyone.

Reaction Score
We really throwing a hissy fit that a coach said coach speak about the team he's coaching?

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
We really throwing a hissy fit that a coach said coach speak about the team he's coaching?
No. You are totally missing it.

The issue is you have a head coach showing ZERO class. To make matters worse, he said before the game that despite their 1-6 record, that UConn was a "formidable opponent", and better than the record indicates. And then after winning the game by 7 points (he said he thought they should have won by 28), he has the audacity to totally throw UConn under the bus rather than saying, yeah we made some mistakes but UConn had something to do with that and they didn't make it easy. He gave UConn no credit whatsoever.

And he has the arrogance to say whenever they play UConn they expect to win. That's just classless.

Reaction Score
I hope Hafley stays there forever. I enjoy having a winnable P5 game on the schedule. No disrespect.
When is the next game scheduled? Not on any future list I have seen. Best guess for a future game will be the Fenway bowl when both teams are eligible.

Reaction Score
When is the next game scheduled? Not on any future list I have seen. Best guess for a future game will be the Fenway bowl when both teams are eligible.
Fair point, I must have mixed them up with another series. I won’t be shocked to see some games changed with the CR movement. The series makes a lot of sense to continue for both sides.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
And he has the arrogance to say whenever they play UConn they expect to win. That's just classless.
BINGO! Fork that guy. I hope and pray he is still the football head coach at BC when we play them again. We will benefit because 1) his ineptitude will guarantee BC will continue down the road to football irrelevance and 2) revenge will be sweet when we stomp out their guts and win.

Reaction Score
Who cares? While it certainly is intended to let everyone know that he thinks his program is better than ours and he expects to beat us every time I can’t get too worked up over it. I already despise BCU and if this fires up our players and coaching staff to play with passion next time out v BCU all the better. They did dominate us on Saturday so now it’s up to us to do something about it!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom