BC- Article on How Not to Run a Program | The Boneyard

BC- Article on How Not to Run a Program

Reaction Score
Fortunately, UConn seems to be the polar opposite as far as positive interaction between former players, the staff and the current players. And, former players have always been welcome, and welcomed back to mentor.

Reaction Score
How fitting. Even the article left out players in the Jim O'Brien years. That can be celebrated too. It had a good history before Al Skinner.

Curley, Scoonie, Adams, Bell, Eisley all gave UConn fits when we played them. Dana Barros was one of the better bucket getters of his time.

Reaction Score
Honestly, BC is just an odd place. It's a great school, but when my daughter went there for a tour when considering schools the presentation was very poorly done. The administrator spent more time talking about how difficult it was to get in and comparing BC to Harvard instead of talking about all the school had to offer. It really came across as arrogance.

As for athletics, I don't think big time college athletics is in BC's future over the long-term. The ACC checks are nice and keeps the lights on, but that school is NOT going to make the significant investment needed for what's coming next.

Reaction Score
Wish nothing but the worst for them. Remember when that chick Donna shalala voted to refuse us as entrants into acc years back? Karma I also recall the year when they went winless in both basketball and football in. conference play. Never should’ve left guys. Pretty much destroyed Boston as a college sports town. Even tho they weren’t one to begin with But still

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Still kind of amazed that they fired Skinner back then. Yes, he did take them pretty much as far as he could but that was more due to their shortcomings than his. Outright stupidity on their part to think they could do better (makes Seton Hall dismissing Louis Orr look intelligent by comparison).

I don't think enough bad can happen to BC to balance out the karma they've created.

Reaction Score
Still kind of amazed that they fired Skinner back then. Yes, he did take them pretty much as far as he could but that was more due to their shortcomings than his. Outright stupidity on their part to think they could do better (makes Seton Hall dismissing Louis Orr look intelligent by comparison).

I don't think enough bad can happen to BC to balance out the karma they've created.
Skinner inherited a mess at BC after BC denied admission to 2 of the 4 Massachusetts recruits in Jim O'Brien's recruiting class and O'Brien left for Ohio St. Skinner had to rebuild BC with no ability to recruit Massachusetts due to what BC admissions had done and he had to go off and find players from all over he could develop. He did a great job given the limitations at BC. Then a power hungry Gene DeFillipo fired him and BC has never recovered. He left a solid team for his successor, Steve Donohue that went 21-12 and 9-7 in the ACC in 2010/2011. BC has not had a 20 win season since or a winning record in the ACC. Karma.

Reaction Score
Wish nothing but the worst for them. Remember when that chick Donna shalala voted to refuse us as entrants into acc years back? Karma I also recall the year when they went winless in both basketball and football in. conference play. Never should’ve left guys. Pretty much destroyed Boston as a college sports town. Even tho they weren’t one to begin with But still
Donna Shalala was at Miami.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
And they think they're special, LOL

Reaction Score
Wasn't BC basketball coach the job Jim Calhoun coveted? He lived a short ride away in Dedham.

I've known a lot of BC alumni and have been to some games there going back to Dee Rowe. The fan base is benumbed. It is a strange experience. They are a very odd lot. It's a Catholic hockey school in a southern football conference. They kind of belong in the Colonial Conference with Northeastern. A little hockey a little hoop.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Wasn't BC basketball coach the job Jim Calhoun coveted? He lived a short ride away in Dedham.

I've known a lot of BC alumni and have been to some games there going back to Dee Rowe. The fan base is benumbed. It is a strange experience. They are a very odd lot. It's a Catholic hockey school in a southern football conference. They kind of belong in the Colonial Conference with Northeastern. A little hockey a little hoop.
He was miffed that when Dr. Tom Davis left (spring 1982) the didn't even consider him (they hired Gary Williams). At the time he was at Northeastern and lost in OT to Villanova who went to the elite eight. He wanted a job at a higher level and the BE was clearly a top level conference (even in only it's third year). That they never considered him for that opening was motivation behind the streak we had against them.

Reaction Score
What happens when you make sheety life choices and associate with a self important organization that thinks their sheet doesn’t stink.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Shalala?
John Belushi Eyebrows GIF

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have to say that one of the things Danny Hurley did exceptionally well was reaching out to alumni. He had a little bit of an uphill battle since the Kevin Ollie arbitration was a bit of an impediment, but he stayed with it. It's good to see our alumni coming back. It enhances our sense of tradition in continuity with the other championship years.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
How fitting. Even the article left out players in the Jim O'Brien years. That can be celebrated too. It had a good history before Al Skinner.

Curley, Scoonie, Adams, Bell, Eisley all gave UConn fits when we played them. Dana Barros was one of the better bucket getters of his time.
Barros is a great guy and would be a great ambassador for the program. He was my host on my recruiting trip there ages ago.

Reaction Score
I have to say that one of the things Danny Hurley did exceptionally well was reaching out to alumni. He had a little bit of an uphill battle since the Kevin Ollie arbitration was a bit of an impediment, but he stayed with it. It's good to see our alumni coming back. It enhances our sense of tradition in continuity with the other championship years.
85 former players at the Championship game is a testament to that including Ray.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Very sad that alumni have been so poorly treated.

Reaction Score
My friend is getting her (second) master's @ BC and I admit, the campus is stunningly gorgeous judging from the photos she has shown me. But as far as sports, could not care less, even though it hurts my heart that she adopted them as a second team a few years ago when she started the program. And that is after we watched much of 2011 together with two other diehard UConn fans. I said to her "how could you?"

Anyway, I give the world's most emphatic shrug regarding BC sports. NEXT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom