Bazz's Importance to this team. | The Boneyard

Bazz's Importance to this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He is, without doubt, the most important player.

As he goes, so does the team.

2 for 10, 1 for 4, no trips to the line, 5 turnovers.

Those numbers mean we lose.

Not a slam on Bazz at all. The guy is the leader and heart of this team. It's a compliment. We need him to have good games to win.

Reaction Score
Agreed, he's been sluggish all game and it's taken us out of the game. Plus their ridiculous three point shooting.

A boot in the ass, for sure. Calhoun is going to be back, hungry, ready to ... rectify ... things in practice.

Reaction Score
Well I hope we incorporate RB more into the PG because SN is just too erratic of a PG for us to be good every game. He is getting exposed on defense big time with his lack of lateral quickness. NG should have been in earlier playing the other team's PG's. though in this game it wouldn't matter as nobody else is playing well.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Agreed with the OP (definitely not the previous one) ... and he let the refs get to him in this game.

H

huskymagic

Eve
Agreed, he's been sluggish all game and it's taken us out of the game. Plus their ridiculous three point shooting.

A boot in the ass, for sure. Calhoun is going to be back, hungry, ready to ... rectify ... things in practice.

Everyone has been paying awful except Lamb and Olander sometimes. Blaney needs to stick to his assistant position because he clearly is being outcoached. The reason we lost today is because of Napier;s and Boatright's poor play. They were being manhandled by Theodore in all facets.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Contrast Theodore's line to Napier's, and you can see why the score is what it is.

H

huskymagic

Well I hope we incorporate RB more into the PG because SN is just too erratic of a PG for us to be good every game. He is getting exposed on defense big time with his lack of lateral quickness. NG should have been in earlier playing the other team's PG's. though in this game it wouldn't matter as nobody else is playing well.

Agreed. Havent I been saying this the whole time that Napier's lack of lateral quickness and athleticism will hurt us against bigger and quicker guards in the big east. Although Boatright did not look good at all either. I think Daniels and Giffey should have played more.

Reaction Score
He did alright against all the guards we played in the NCAAs last year. Only PG who really killed him last year was Siva.

Whatever. It was a bad game. We can't draw too much out a team of Freshmen and Sophomore's second road game of the year. They let the crowd and refs get to them, and a hungry and talented, senior-led team whupped their asses.

That's not an indictment in early January. It's an indictment in March.

caw

Reaction Score
Napiers problem today wasn't his defense or his lack of lateral quickness. It was his decision to try and take it all on himself and try and take over the game. Same with Boatright for that matter. They both had tunnel vision all game and it showed. When Napier speaks about players being selfish, he needs to look in the mirror first after tonight's game. He has more than enough tools to turn this around, but he's decision making was the worst I've seen from him in a UConn uniform tonight.

Reaction Score
When has Shabazz ever talked about anybody being selfish on the team?

Reaction Score
Agree, there was a sequence or plays were he had three turnover in a row he lost all confidence at that point. Blane should have called a time out. As deep as we are its still Bazz and JL if both aren't on top of their game we're in trouble. Bazz looks worn out.

AO, we're almost at the half way point and hasn't improve. He actually looks worse. It would be one thing if he just wasn't making shots, but the poor defensive play lack ofy boxing out and cheap fouls is concerning. But what is most concerning is his attitude, which showed itself in those earlier tweets were he didn't take ownership of his lack of playing time.

Roscoe, love his effort and hustle. However, his game hasn't progressed. He had a better jumper last year. Not rebounding with the authority he did last year.

Still love this team and we should ne able to make a deep run but we have to get tougher and find some other plays to run on offense other than pick and roll.

Reaction Score
When he is hot he can do wonders when he isnt games like tonight happen. He needs to realize its not his night and get others involved. He always preaches assists well eat your words, his quick threes should count as turnovers, not acceptable.

SJ

Reaction Score
I thought he played hard until he got hurt. While he was out, everyone seemed lost and they never got it back and seemed to lack direction for the rest of the game.

Reaction Score
I thought he played hard until he got hurt. While he was out, everyone seemed lost and they never got it back and seemed to lack direction for the rest of the game.

Are you saying the reason for his turnovers, lack of floor leadership and poor shooting was because he was hurt?

If his being hurt was what caused his poor play, then he should have taken hisself out of the game.

He certainly didn't help the team very much.

Peace,

John Fryer

SJ

Reaction Score
Are you saying the reason for his turnovers, lack of floor leadership and poor shooting was because he was hurt?

If his being hurt was what caused his poor play, then he should have taken hisself out of the game.

Peace,

John Fryer
no I meant exactly what I said smarta$$.

Reaction Score

Peace,

John Fryer
I think Bazz is really banged up and it really showed against a really aggressive team like the Hall. Granted at times he tried to do too much but during that very bad stretch it seemed everyone on UConn was having trouble with the ball. I think he's struggling with a foot problem effecting him mobility on D and a hand or wrist causing him problems with his handle. Maybe I'm wrong on both accounts but he just didn't look healthy today.

Credit SHU for really taking it to UConn. They'll learn from this. Now if I can only get this bad game out of my head. I have an idea, I'll post a lead post with my solution.

Reaction Score
People forget-This team only won five road games last year. That's right, five. And that's with Kemba. These aren't pros, and they aren't even upper classmen. Young kids get caught up in the crowd and the energy, and they start making bad decisions and forcing the issue. I'm sure the younger kids on the team will be much more composed on the road by the end of the season.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Good post about Napier.

The offense doesn't go without Napier having a good game. He'll bounce back, I'm confident in that.

Lamb may be the 'best' player, but I think Napier is the most 'important' in terms of winning this year for UConn.

Reaction Score
they also won 5 games in 5 days at Madison Square Garden and played obviously huge games in the NCAA tournament....i dont think playing in front of a big crowd with a lot of energy is the issue.

Reaction Score
Bazz clearly doesn't have a problem with lateral quickness. Maybe he did tonight because he was banged up, but if you think that is a pressing issue, you need to watch more UCONN basketball.

He did play horrible tonight though. He was really forcing it, even though it sure looked like he was mugged by reach ins quite often. You could read his lips saying "WOWWW" after you egregious no-call. He did have about 3 horrendous shots when you could tell he was trying to draw a foul but it was very early in the shot clock.

Reaction Score
In how many of the BE or NCAA games did we really have the crowd against us?

Reaction Score
He is, without doubt, the most important player.

As he goes, so does the team.

2 for 10, 1 for 4, no trips to the line, 5 turnovers.

Those numbers mean we lose.

Not a slam on Bazz at all. The guy is the leader and heart of this team. It's a compliment. We need him to have good games to win.
I just feel like hes either great or completely awful this year. Thankfully more good games than bad, but hes gotta find some consistency. One concern is that he needs to start playing some D! He was a great defender last year but hes been getting lit up all year. Bazz has a lot of talent but needs to play more consistently.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
SN is clearly the most important player right now. When RB was running the pt by himself, the offense stagnated. That being said, SN had his worst game ever by a long shot...awful ball handling, shooting and especially decision making.

Both of the guards never got AD involved on O.

It will be a true test of character to see how they respond at Rutgers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member