Bazz should have intentionally missed ft | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bazz should have intentionally missed ft

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
My feeling was that I'd be happy if he missed and I'd be okay if he made it, simply because I don't really want the players to worry about thinking about missing FTs. If something weird happened where he airballed it or only hit the backboard or something (which isn't too farfetched, if you're changing your shot motion from what it usually is, you could overestimate what it takes to miss), then BC gets to inbound it AND are only down 1.

For a good foul shooter, missing a FT on purpose is simply a matter of setting up 6 inches to the right or lefty of where you normally set up, then using you exact usual motion.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Sat next to former coach and Pacers scout Matt Daugherty and he was even saying you gotta miss that free throw. Think they were specifically checking out DD.

Doh!erty? If so, that's all the more reason NOT to miss it!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
For a good foul shooter, missing a FT on purpose is simply a matter of setting up 6 inches to the right or lefty of where you normally set up, then using you exact usual motion.
That's a great strategy on the Play Station, but these kids are human. A good foul shooter probably has to concentrate 10x as hard to miss a free throw because it is engrained in him to, you know, make the shot.

Reaction Score
A good foul shooter probably has to concentrate 10x as hard to miss a free throw because it is engrained in him to, you know, make the shot.

Making a free throw is hard. Doing so requires amazing precision, and the best free throw shooters can repeat a very precise motion every time.

Missing a free throw is not hard. In fact, I'd say that hitting the rim and missing is 10 times easier than making the free throw. All you have to do -- for a perfect shooter -- is add a little hitch or jerk to your shot. There's no way it goes in.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
That's a great strategy on the Play Station, but these kids are human. A good foul shooter probably has to concentrate 10x as hard to miss a free throw because it is engrained in him to, you know, make the shot.

I once got called for intentionally missing a FT when I over compensated on the length of the shot, and didn't touch the rim. my coach taught me the strategy the next day, and made me practice it after FT practice constantly, I only got to use it in a game once after that, and the coach put our two best rebounders on the side the ball was likely going to carom to, given the side I favored. We got the board AND scored. But he used the same strategy with all our players, and I'd say that 8 or more times during that and the next season it worked perfectly.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Making a free throw is hard. Doing so requires amazing precision, and the best free throw shooters can repeat a very precise motion every time.

Missing a free throw is not hard. In fact, I'd say that hitting the rim and missing is 10 times easier than making the free throw. All you have to do -- for a perfect shooter -- is add a little hitch or jerk to your shot. There's no way it goes in.

Making a free throw is hard for those who don't make free throw (You, me, Shaq, Dwight Howard). Shabazz Napier makes 78% of his free throws. So you want Shabazz Napier to **duck with the muscle memory that allows him to hit that 78% (83% this year) by introducing a hitch to a very precise motion that he must repeat 6-10 times a game for the rest of the season, on the off chance that Boston College is able to advance the ball 75 feet in 1.8 seconds and get off a clean shot that has a chance to go in? The reason Dwayne Wade fired the ball at the rim last week is so he wouldn't have to **duck with his motion. Rich's strategy is light years better than yours and I obviously don't agree with his either.
Hey, if Napier misses the shot, fine. UConn probably gets out of there with a win as well, but missing was by no mean foolproof either. The way the refs were calling the game, if Nolan or Brimah breathed wrong, it was a foul. We all agree that it's a moot point if Bazz hits the first, right? I have no problem with what happened. Hit the 2nd shot, play good defense, and go back to the Ramada with a win...Of course had UConn lost, I probably would be singing a different tune.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom