Bazz on Boat...LOL | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bazz on Boat...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whatever you think Bazz is right, and his comments were more for us fans already having big expectations of RB. That's what leaders do; take the pressure of of the frosh.

Where's the diss?
The expectations were created by Calhoun himself with direct quotes. I posted his comments verbatim on this message board.

Reaction Score
I guess I got you confused with another garbage poster who goes by the same name and uses annoying smilies

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/another-kudo-for-shabazz.7282/page-2#post-86049
Bazz has had a great start to his season. I also made it clear in my previous posts that he would be very inconsistent this year and that I thought Boatright would challenge him for the starting job. I always believed it was SN's job to lose. The suspension set RB back.

With regards to your other comments I would respond by stating:

Haters are gonna hate....:cool:

I never was here to be liked. My passion is college basketball. I don't expect anyone here to like me for the obvious reasons.

Good luck to you.

Reaction Score
Let's see . . .

Guy 1 - NC ring. Critical component of NC team. Played huge minutes in huge games. One of a handful of Huskies ever to post a triple double . . .

or

Guy 2 - Heralded freshman yet to play a minute of D-I ball.

Going with Guy 1 here. Guy 2 would have to be one of the best - if not THE best - recruit in UConn history to get the starting job for more than a "message" game or two.

Reaction Score
Let's see . . .

Guy 1 - NC ring. Critical component of NC team. Played huge minutes in huge games. One of a handful of Huskies ever to post a triple double . . .

or

Guy 2 - Heralded freshman yet to play a minute of D-I ball.

Going with Guy 1 here. Guy 2 would have to be one of the best - if not THE best - recruit in UConn history to get the starting job for more than a "message" game or two.
The best recruit in UConn history to be the primary play maker at the point instead of Bazz? That's real loyalty and I respect that. Bazz deserves the edge until proven otherwise (he certainly has earned it). That has been my position all along. My posts like many here are based on speculation. It is my opinion UConn will not repeat with Boatright as a 3rd ranked scoring option/play maker in the back court. I am looking at this from the perspective of a national championship. The team as constructed now needs an infusion of something special that is missing from the departure of Walker. All players have off games but I am looking at the totality of the circumstances present and future. I have no problem with Bazz backing up anything he says about his own game. I love a player with confidence and moxie (an edge). My problem was with how the Bazz comment can be interpreted literally based on another player who hasn't played a game yet. I have said repeatedly that BAZZ was the perfect complimentary piece to UConn's title run last season. All the other players (Joseph, Knight and Selby) would not have worked chemistry wise.

My expectations for RB are no different then JC's. If those expectations are not met UConn will suffer the consequences of no repeat. It doesn't mean UConn won't have a good year.

JMHO that's all. GLTU

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
This board is absolutely unreal sometimes. That was an honest assessment. Why are people trying to read too much into it?

I agree. The overreactions of some Boneyarders, while totally predictable, makes this place very hard to visit after losses. You can see the comment as being very supportive of Boatright, wanting fans to not expect to much too soon.

This team is going to take some time to get it together. Let's enjoy the ride.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
A little story about JL I have from a guy I know:

A friend of mine went out to a bar one night on campus with his girlfriend. Must have been Ted's or Huskies. I don't remember if it was before or after we won the NC, but they saw Jeremy there and he went up and talked to him and introduced himself and his girlfriend. Shortly after, allegedly, JL whispered to my friend that "[Jeremy] isn't a guy [my friend] would want to introduce to [his] girlfriend." If that doesn't scream terrible ego, I don't know what does. (wow... you're sense of humor is in the toilet. He also could have been saying "damn your girl is finnnnnnnnnnnne as hell")

About Boat, I have never seen anything in person, but I have heard (thats your problem, you enjoy gossip like a lil Bi) he's got a mouth in practice. He even looks like (this tell me a whole lot about you) he kind of guy that has a mouth.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I've seen the team scrimmage and Bazz and Boat jaw at each other quite a bit but my impression was never that there is bad blood at all. Just two competitive guys going at it. They'll probably both light fires under the other throughout their time here.

Reaction Score
I agree. The overreactions of some Boneyarders, while totally predictable, makes this place very hard to visit after losses. You can see the comment as being very supportive of Boatright, wanting fans to not expect to much too soon.

This team is going to take some time to get it together. Let's enjoy the ride.

"If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you never will change the outcome." Michael Jordan

If not mistaken didn't the Bazz articulate a negative expectation towards RB after committing 7 turn overs and scoring 4 points?

Next...

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Instead of jumping to the conclusion that Bazz is an egotistical maniac, one could also weigh the fact that he is speaking from experience. Let's not forget that last year Bazz filled the same role that Boat needs to fill this year. They won a National Title and Bazz was a big part of that. There were certainly times when he was in over his head and there were other times when he helped the team pick up W's. There will likely be times when Boat sparks the offense like Bazz did, but there will also be times when he leaves us scratching our heads. He will help a ton but there will also be a lot of situations where the speed and complexity of the college game is too much for him, and there is nothing wrong with that. Kemba went through it his Freshman year. Shabazz went through it. Almost every PG does. If Boatright doesn't have those growing pains, this team is the runaway favorite to win a National Title.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
"If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you never will change the outcome." Michael Jordan

If not mistaken didn't the Bazz articulate a negative expectation towards RB after committing 7 turn overs and scoring 4 points?

Next...

You quote Michael Jordan make some generic platitude, then inappropriately try to apply it to this situation, then act like you have won some non-existent contest. Adding that Shabazz had a some turnovers like that invalidates what he said which was totally reasonable. You sometimes sound very knowledgeable and reasonable, and other times, you sound more like Mark who likes Harkless so much he loses all sense of perspective (i.e. that this is a UConn board and we don't really care about Harkless).

We want both Shabazz and Ryan to play well and hope that they can play well together even if there is some natural competition between them.

Reaction Score

Next...

Will you give it a rest, seriously? Christ. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Reaction Score
Blah blah seriously sick of the anti-bazz talk. Was sick of it a week ago, two weeks ago, and whenever it started. Give it a rest.

Reaction Score
Instead of jumping to the conclusion that Bazz is an egotistical maniac, one could also weigh the fact that he is speaking from experience. Let's not forget that last year Bazz filled the same role that Boat needs to fill this year. They won a National Title and Bazz was a big part of that. There were certainly times when he was in over his head and there were other times when he helped the team pick up W's. There will likely be times when Boat sparks the offense like Bazz did, but there will also be times when he leaves us scratching our heads. He will help a ton but there will also be a lot of situations where the speed and complexity of the college game is too much for him, and there is nothing wrong with that. Kemba went through it his Freshman year. Shabazz went through it. Almost every PG does. If Boatright doesn't have those growing pains, this team is the runaway favorite to win a National Title.

I don't think Bazz is an egotistical maniac at all. When Bazz was cut from the World University team this summer he showed great humility. He simply is a college Sophomore who is playing basketball in a high profile program making him a public figure at a young age. He is a good player. The perfect role player for a championship caliber team. Boatright is 6 games in the hole.

"My main focus right now is just playing," Boatright told The Associated Press after practice last Friday. "I just want to play."
Boatright had been practicing with the first team for three or four days, Napier estimated. On Tuesday, though, Calhoun started Napier in the season-opening exhibition against American International College at Gampel Pavilion.

Napier's accomplishments thus far at UConn deserve to be respected and appreciated. Let me ask you this question. Do you think Boatright came to UConn with the intent to be a back up PG for 3 years or even 1 year for that matter (unless you think Napier will declare early for the NBA)? All players need time to acclimate themselves into real time game situations. Napier had the best player to ever play at UConn to help with the acclimation process. Boatright will not have that luxury. The ceiling is higher for Boatright this year. It has to be for UConn to get to New Orleans.

JMHO of course per the usual...Thanks for the thoughts. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA