Baylor's Chameka Scott passes away [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Baylor's Chameka Scott passes away [merged thread]

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
WACO, Texas (KWTX) Chameka Scott, 33, a former Lady Bears standout who helped lead the team to its first national championship in 2005, has passed away after a fight with colon cancer.

Scott was diagnosed in 2015 and underwent surgery followed by rounds of treatment.

The cancer recurred in what Lady Bears coach Kim Mulkey described previously as a very aggressive manner.

“She was one of my first recruits at Baylor, a dream and an integral part of that 2005 national championship team,” Mulkey said.

“She’s just a joy to be around and the most positive person who is an unbelievable teammate and a fighter and she needs lot of prayers.”

Scott had been treated at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston to help alleviate the pain associated with the cancer.

Scott played at Baylor from 2002-2006 and went on to play for the Sacramento Monarchs in the WNBA and later in Europe.

She was surrounded by family and friends.

Coach Mulkey was with Scott before she passed on Sunday.

On Instagram, Mulkey posted "I am absolutely heartbroken at the loss of one of the most beloved members of the Lady Bear family. Chameka Scott was one of my first recruits at Baylor University and the heartbeat of the 2005 National Championship team. Athletic ability aside, Chameka showed us all how to be a good friend, teammate and was a fierce competitor not only on the court but in life. She never gave up in her green and gold and she never gave up in her bitter battle against cancer. While I may have been Chameka's coach, she taught me much more about life and what's really important. I feel blessed to have been by her side today. Cancer may have taken Chameka Scott way too soon but her spirit and her heart will live on forever in Lady Bear basketball. Heaven gained a true warrior today."

Reaction Score
Rest in Peace Chameka! Thoughts and Prayers for You! Thoughts and prayers for your family also! Also to your Baylor Family for the tough year with the lost of Kims Grandchild and You, Chameka! God Bless All of You!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
'We Were All Blessed To Be A Part Of Chameka's Life'

Chameka Scott, who fought cancer with the same ferociousness that she brought to the defensive end of the basketball court, died Sunday night in Houston.

But just like when she played on the Baylor Lady Bears' first national championship team in 2005, the 33-year-old Scott was surrounded by her teammates at the very end when she passed away at Houston's Harbor Hospice.

"I was just glad that she was no longer in pain," said former Baylor point guard Chelsea Whitaker, now a Dallas police officer. "That wasn't the same athletic body, it wasn't the same athletic organs, it wasn't the same shell. I believe in God, and so did she, and I know she's in a better place. Her mind was there, but everything else wasn't. It was really crippling for us to have to see her struggle like that, because we know how much of a fierce competitor and strong person she was."

Whitaker, Abiola Wabara and Jordan Davis were there by Scott's bedside, along with Baylor head coach Kim Mulkey; Johnny Derrick, assistant AD for women's basketball operations; and Jennifer Roberts, coordinator of basketball operations.

"We were all blessed that she came into our lives, that we got to be a part of Chameka's life," Mulkey said. "As a coach, one thing that really touched me was seeing three of her teammates taking care of her. Abi lives down there, but Chelsea and Jordan are both in Dallas and would go down there every weekend after they got off work. That camaraderie, that unbreakable bond, is why that team in 2005 won a national championship."

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I remember vividly watching her play on that very memorable 2005 Baylor team. She was an outstanding player with a tremendous heart, just as coach Mulkey has described her. It's heartbreaking to see her life ended so soon, but as I've recently realized through losing loved ones of my own, what's more important is that we cherish and celebrate the time they did have here on earth.

Rest in peace, Chameka Scott.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Baylor will do a tribute to Chameka Scott prior to the game Thursday night vs Texas. The Lady Bears will have a patch with the initials of CS on their uniforms, to be worn the rest of the season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom