Baylor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Baylor

Reaction Score
I'm old enough to remember when members of the Baylor men's basketball team were literally murdering each other and the head coach resigned in disgrace after he was caught trying to frame the dead player as a drug dealer to cover up the coach's unlawful payments to said player. So yeah, these are better days for Baylor men's basketball.
Yeah, much better..

Reaction Score
I don't believe even at full strength that Baylor matched up well with Stanford. They obviously were much better better perimiter shooters that got production from mulitiple areas negating the problem with their scores having bad shooting days. They were also much better defensively than Baylor both in the paint and against the guards. It would have been a really bad matchup for Baylor and also for UConn. What was also forgotten was that Di Di probably would not have been able to play at least at full strength, if at all in the final four games. Stanford was much better defensively so Baylor would have had a much more difficut time matching up against Ari and might not even have made it past Arizona.

Reaction Score
fixer upper GIF
I don’t personally want to live in Waco and I am not a fan of Joanna Gaines decorating style. Still. This post reminds me of when Texas upset UCSB in 2002 in Austin to make the sweet sixteen. I was puzzled as a loud group of UCSB fans chanted “you still live in Texas” as they filed dejectedly from the arena. I was a California transplant myself. I have remembered the event often as Austin has filled to overflowing with people moving here, many from California. I never have understood what Texas did to offend the Gaucho fans other than win the game but judging from their fan board (probably dead now?), the fans acquired quite a dislike of UT Austin. You could not pay many Waco residents to move to Austin or Connecticut. I guess I’d at least ask how much for moving to Waco - and how long do I have to stay.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Personally... I am done with Gonzaga. I needed them to win in 2017.... to make my life much easier.. but they let me down. I wanted them to beat Baylor... and again they let me down. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice.... :mad:

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Because they were the #1 team.
According to? O, yeah, I remember, according to "expert" polls (and not even tournament seeding). I guess Oregon should also have hoisted a banner based on being Massey's #1, since one could claim, and not without merit, than his rating is "more accurate" than the human polls. But there is no such banner in Eugene I'm pleased to say, since it would be both silly and insulting to other teams and their fans to claim something that can only be determined on the court. Too bad Dawn, and some of her fans, don't seem to understand that even now.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
At first I didn't care one way about any Banner in Columbia.... but as the time passes..... I'm getting more and more annoyed about it. Not that I have problems with them putting one up.. (doesn't affect my life one bit) .. just annoyed of reading about it in seemingly every other thread. Wish there was a way to do a word filter on this site.... block any thread with the word banner in it.

Sorry for the rant.... but the older I get... the crankier I become
rant.gif

Reaction Score
I don’t personally want to live in Waco and I am not a fan of Joanna Gaines decorating style. Still. This post reminds me of when Texas upset UCSB in 2002 in Austin to make the sweet sixteen. I was puzzled as a loud group of UCSB fans chanted “you still live in Texas” as they filed dejectedly from the arena. I was a California transplant myself. I have remembered the event often as Austin has filled to overflowing with people moving here, many from California. I never have understood what Texas did to offend the Gaucho fans other than win the game but judging from their fan board (probably dead now?), the fans acquired quite a dislike of UT Austin. You could not pay many Waco residents to move to Austin or Connecticut. I guess I’d at least ask how much for moving to Waco - and how long do I have to stay.
I don't like shiplap.

Reaction Score
According to? O, yeah, I remember, according to "expert" polls (and not even tournament seeding). I guess Oregon should also have hoisted a banner based on being Massey's #1, since one could claim, and not without merit, than his rating is "more accurate" than the human polls. But there is no such banner in Eugene I'm pleased to say, since it would be both silly and insulting to other teams and their fans to claim something that can only be determined on the court. Too bad Dawn, and some of her fans, don't seem to understand that even now.
According to the AP and Coaches poll.

if Oregon wants to hang a Massey banner, that's fine with me. Why would I care what they put in their building?

you folks can whine about it until judgment day and it's neither going to change anything or make anyone feel bad about it.

Reaction Score
At first I didn't care one way about any Banner in Columbia.... but as the time passes..... I'm getting more and more annoyed about it. Not that I have problems with them putting one up.. (doesn't affect my life one bit) .. just annoyed of reading about it in seemingly every other thread. Wish there was a way to do a word filter on this site.... block any thread with the word banner in it.

Sorry for the rant.... but the older I get... the crankier I become View attachment 66700

I only get annoyed when folks say South Carolina claimed a national championship.

otherwise they can knock themselves out with memes. It's a little weird they care so much, but it's the internet and everything makes peope mad on the internet.

it is our fault I guess that you're annoyed by this. I feel bad about that a little.

Reaction Score
I dont think it's a stretch at all...they were a missed no-call and FTs away from the Final Four and would've had a strong shot to win against either team IMO. OP isn't suggesting it would be a guarantee or that they'd even be the favorite, just that the chance to win it all was there, which they absolutely would have had a good shot.
I think the injury to Richards was the biggest factor. If that hadn’t happened, the no-call likely wouldn’t have been relevant. Baylor was on a roll and dominating up until the injury. After the injury, it was like a 19-0 run for UConn.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think the injury to Richards was the biggest factor. If that hadn’t happened, the no-call likely wouldn’t have been relevant. Baylor was on a roll and dominating up until the injury. After the injury, it was like a 19-0 run for UConn.
Agreed. I just think it's silly how some fans get worked up over a poster making a plausible hypothetical as if it attacks the sanctity of the Pac 12 or UCONN's double championships in 2004 and 2014.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Agreed. I just think it's silly how some fans get worked up over a poster making a plausible hypothetical as if it attacks the sanctity of the Pac 12 or UCONN's double championships in 2004 and 2014.
It just seems strange to talk about an Elite 8 games as being on the threshold of an NC. There are two additional games after the E8 that are notoriously hard to win before you can get that NC. The higher the number of If/Then statements required before the conclusion you want to celebrate, the more stretched an imagination is required: IF no injury; IF only the right fouls/no fouls; IF 100% free throws; IF AZ; IF Stanford; THEN Dual Championship is a bit of a stretch.

And speaking from experience - fans of a good team with a legitimate shot at an NC tend to be pretty depressed when the team loses an NCAA tournament game. The fact the other gender wins the NC is great and can relieve some of the depression, but the depression still lingers.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It just seems strange to talk about an Elite 8 games as being on the threshold of an NC. There are two additional games after the E8 that are notoriously hard to win before you can get that NC. The higher the number of If/Then statements required before the conclusion you want to celebrate, the more stretched an imagination is required: IF no injury; IF only the right fouls/no fouls; IF 100% free throws; IF AZ; IF Stanford; THEN Dual Championship is a bit of a stretch.

And speaking from experience - fans of a good team with a legitimate shot at an NC tend to be pretty depressed when the team loses an NCAA tournament game. The fact the other gender wins the NC is great and can relieve some of the depression, but the depression still lingers.
I think it's being dragged out to look like people are saying Baylor would have won it all. No one has said that. People have simply said there was a possibility of it. This year the field was wide open, without a dominant team far ahead of the back. If Baylor survived the UCONN game they would've had a realistic chance to win it all.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think it's being dragged out to look like people are saying Baylor would have won it all. No one has said that. People have simply said there was a possibility of it. This year the field was wide open, without a dominant team far ahead of the back. If Baylor survived the UCONN game they would've had a realistic chance to win it all.
Indeed. And if my aunt had been born with a different anatomical makeup, she would've had a realistic chance of being my uncle. :):cool:

Reaction Score
Last night I watched a Final Four game between Old Dominion and Stanford (1997). Stanford lost in overtime 83-82. Stanford had several chances at the end to win, an open shot and 3 or 4 attempted cutbacks all failed. The announcers said that they're could have been several fouls called on Old Dominion in those last seconds. Tara was interviewed afterwards and she was asked about questionable calls at the end. She said, "There's no point questioning the calls. Both teams played really well and were very physical. Old Dominion played a great game. We had a lot of turnovers."

I don't know whether Tara has always been that classy, but I wish other coaches would follow the example and not blame last second calls for losses.

I was watching the 1997 Final Four to see Ticha Penicheiro and Nyree Roberts play for Old Dominion and see the Tennessee - Notre Dame game to see Kellie Jolly set the assist record for the Final Four.

Reaction Score

Exactly. It's like fans of a certain team that disparaged South Carolina's national championship in 2017 because SC didn't play their team for the title that they were fans of. There were fans that used that thought process for years afterwards. It's the same exact thing, so I agree with your feelings of how strange that thought process was, and is.

I mean, South Carolina took care of IT'S business that tournament - played who was put in front of them, and beat them. But because this certain other team DID NOT take care of ITS business, DID NOT do what was expected of them, then somehow that diminished or penalized South Carolina for doing what the OTHER team could not.

Those fans somehow lifted up THEIR team for failing that tournament, by disparaging and putting down South Carolina for SUCCEEDING, in their twisted rationalization logic. Now, talking about "strange" - that was a Webster's dictionary version of it. And there are STILL fans of that group around that still believe this about that 2017 tournament. It's crazy - I definitely agree with you on that......

Reaction Score
Exactly. It's like fans of a certain team that disparaged South Carolina's national championship in 2017 because SC didn't play their team for the title that they were fans of. There were fans that used that thought process for years afterwards. It's the same exact thing, so I agree with your feelings of how strange that thought process was, and is.

I mean, South Carolina took care of IT'S business that tournament - played who was put in front of them, and beat them. But because this certain other team DID NOT take care of ITS business, DID NOT do what was expected of them, then somehow that diminished or penalized South Carolina for doing what the OTHER team could not.

Those fans somehow lifted up THEIR team for failing that tournament, by disparaging and putting down South Carolina for SUCCEEDING, in their twisted rationalization logic. Now, talking about "strange" - that was a Webster's dictionary version of it. And there are STILL fans of that group around that still believe this about that 2017 tournament. It's crazy - I definitely agree with you on that......
So what you’re saying is Stanford’s Championship doesn’t really count, right? I mean, apples to apples....

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

For the record, I think such a stance is every bit as ridiculous as it is classless, and I really do think it was espoused by only small minority of sore losers.

Somehow I doh't think any of them would argue that UConn's 2013 title was in any way diminished by the fact that Louisville did the favor of taking out Baylor.

Reaction Score
So what you’re saying is Stanford’s Championship doesn’t really count, right? I mean, apples to apples....

No, I am saying the exact opposite. Stanford faced who was put in front of them, and beat every team to win the championship. It serves no point to dwell on woulda coulda shouldas, or to diminish a team that wins a title because they didn't play "X" team as an opponent, or because "Y" team hit a "lucky shot" to defeat "X" team and somehow prevented the inevitable from happening. Either you win, or you're the loser.....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
No, I am saying the exact opposite. Stanford faced who was put in front of them, and beat every team to win the championship. It serves no point to dwell on woulda coulda shouldas, or to diminish a team that wins a title because they didn't play "X" team as an opponent, or because "Y" team hit a "lucky shot" to defeat "X" team and somehow prevented the inevitable from happening. Either you win, or you're the loser.....
Agree completely. And I agree that fans of any team will go through all sorts of gyrations when they do not end the season with a win. It is part of being a fanatic.

I mean Uconn fanatics still rehash what happened in 2001 - if only Sveta and Shea hadn't been injured and Geno hadn't lost it in the locker room at halftime, Stewart's 4 in a row have been small potatoes. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom