Baylor @ West Virginia - 1/28/18 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Baylor @ West Virginia - 1/28/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think it will come down between Baylor and Oregon for the last #1. UCONN, Miss State, ND will be the other #1s.
I agree with this caveat-the ACC winner between Louisville/ND will probably get the #1 and Oregon must win the PAC-12.

Reaction Score
I just don't know. I think a 2 seed is as high as they will go. Could be wrong but based on the committee the last 2 years and their emphasis on non conference play I think that will be the celing. Again. I could be wrong.

I didn't see the game, but checked out the box score on ESPN. A few things caught my eye... (a) WVU had the lead for the first half, and it was tight through 3 quarters... weak 4th quarter by WVU led to BU win. (b) Only 7 players noted in the BU box score...

They may well climb up from their seeding in the 1st NCAA reveal... as long as they are in a different bracket than UConn,... that's fine. and if they climb to a 2 seed, let it be as the #5, 6, or 7.

I trust Geno and his Staff to get our Team ready for any big game in the NCAAs... but the two bigs for BU have me concerned. I still think we win in a match up, with our all around scoring and team work... :cool:

Reaction Score
I thought Maryland's issue was the the Non and Conference schedules were both very easy. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Ohio State the only ranked team other than MD? Where BU will play atleast maybe 8 ranked opponents. Texas, WV, OSU, TCU.....if they beat all 5 twice and possibly again in the tourney. No.1 seed should happen.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I just don't know. I think a 2 seed is as high as they will go. Could be wrong but based on the committee the last 2 years and their emphasis on non conference play I think that will be the celing. Again. I could be wrong.
This is a misperception. The committee's emphasis is on quality wins, period, whether they come in or out of conference play.

We have seen how teams can overcome a weak nonconference schedule by scoring quality wins in conference play. The problem with Maryland last year was that their conference could offer them no high-quality (i.e., top 25) wins once they lost to Ohio State. If Maryland had beaten Ohio State (thus running the Big Ten table), they would have hit the 2-seed ceiling you are referring to.

Baylor's ceiling is much higher because the Big 12 does in fact offer many opportunities for quality wins. I absolutely guarantee that if Baylor runs the table here on out, they will be a #1 seed. They might even get a #1 if they lose one game.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This was a really good win because it was coming against a high quality opponennt, on the road with a relatively quick turn-around after a highly emotional game against their biggest rival.

This was a trap game in so many ways and it wasn’t pretty but Baylor did what a good team does, which is come out with a win under less-than-perfect circumstances.

If Martin were not out for the season this would not be a WVU team I would like to face.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
When a team plays Baylor, they can't afford to let Wallace and especially Chong, hurt them. I believe Chong was scoreless in her last two games.

Reaction Score
Baylor would no doubt prefer to start Morris at pg and Wallace at sg which moves Chou to the bench, but they just don't have the depth at pg, so they bring Morris off the bench to replace Wallace or they work together. Huge problem if Wallace gets into foul trouble.

Reaction Score
WVU wore down as the game went on. Their shots became short as they played the 4th period!
Mike Carey is a fantastic HC and his teams always come at you for the full 40 minutes!
Without Martin, their star, they shouldn't have given Baylor that tough a game but the rest of the team, 7/8 players, played hard!

Reaction Score
Baylor would no doubt prefer to start Morris at pg and Wallace at sg which moves Chou to the bench, but they just don't have the depth at pg, so they bring Morris off the bench to replace Wallace or they work together. Huge problem if Wallace gets into foul trouble.

Actually, she likes Chou starting. Chou is a pure shooter who does so many things for the team. Creates mismatches, rebounds, and has a high game IQ. Morris like Wallace is prone to fouls also, so having someone like Chou who can defend well without a foul is needed. Especially considering Brown and Cox and can also easily get into foul trouble.

Reaction Score
WVU wore down as the game went on. Their shots became short as they played the 4th period!
Mike Carey is a fantastic HC and his teams always come at you for the full 40 minutes!
Without Martin, their star, they shouldn't have given Baylor that tough a game but the rest of the team, 7/8 players, played hard!
Nailed it.

Reaction Score
Tynice Martin hasn’t played all season, and WVU still has worked themselves up to #20 in nation in AP. Not sure why she keeps getting brought up. A lot of good teams have players out for the season.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Tynice Martin hasn’t played all season, and WVU still has worked themselves up to #20 in nation in AP. Not sure why she keeps getting brought up. A lot of good teams have players out for the season.
Because not many of those teams are missing players the All-America caliber of Tynice Martin. Maybe ND and Brianna Turner.

WVU might be borderline top 20 without her. With her they could be top 10 easily, and have legitimate Final Four aspirations.

Reaction Score
Because not many of those teams are missing players the All-America caliber of Tynice Martin. Maybe ND and Brianna Turner.

WVU might be borderline top 20 without her. With her they could be top 10 easily, and have legitimate Final Four aspirations.
The way West Virginia started the season I thought to myself how better they could possibly be if Martin returned to the lineup. Those losses against K-State, TCU, and Ok. ST could've been victories with her playing.

Plebe

Reaction Score
The way West Virginia started the season I thought to myself how better they could possibly be if Martin returned to the lineup. Those losses against K-State, TCU, and Ok. ST could've been victories with her playing.
I would throw in the loss to Baylor as well. That's by far the closest anyone has played Baylor outside of the UCLA game.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Actually, she likes Chou starting. Chou is a pure shooter who does so many things for the team. Creates mismatches, rebounds, and has a high game IQ. Morris like Wallace is prone to fouls also, so having someone like Chou who can defend well without a foul is needed. Especially considering Brown and Cox and can also easily get into foul trouble.

Chou is not proving herself to be a pure shooter. She simply doesn’t have the stats to back up that claim as she is the 4th best 3 point shooter on the team, behind Wallace, Morris and Landrum.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Chou is not proving herself to be a pure shooter. She simply doesn’t have the stats to back up that claim as she is the 4th best 3 point shooter on the team, behind Wallace, Morris and Landrum.
Chou is one heck of nice person. I've seen a few of her interviews and I've always come away impressed with her. What hasn't helped her on the court however is she is slow afoot and not particularly creative off the dribble.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Chou is one heck of nice person. I've seen a few of her interviews and I've always come away impressed with her. What hasn't helped her on the court however is she is slow afoot and not particularly creative off the dribble.

You nailed it 100%. Her foot speed makes her feel rushed so she can’t relax on her shot and she also has trouble driving to the basket.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think Chou is great, only a sophomore finding her place!

I hope that she finds her game because she could be very valuable if she turns into a good shooter. I have seen her drain three-pointer after three-pointer in warm-ups only to miss those same shots in game situations. I am not sure if she is putting too much pressure on herself or what, but her shot is just not very accurate in real game performance. She is shooting 39% from the field and 35% from 3-point range.

Reaction Score
I hope that she finds her game because she could be very valuable if she turns into a good shooter. I have seen her drain three-pointer after three-pointer in warm-ups only to miss those same shots in game situations. I am not sure if she is putting too much pressure on herself or what, but her shot is just not very accurate in real game performance. She is shooting 39% from the field and 35% from 3-point range.
Chou IS a good shooter. She shot 42% last season, and was shooting 41% this year before this little slump hit. It happens to everybody at some point. She also contributes beyond raw scoring numbers, leading the team in steals and A/TO ratio. You tend to look down on her, but the whole picture of her game shows a very productive player.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Chou IS a good shooter. She shot 42% last season, and was shooting 41% this year before this little slump hit. It happens to everybody at some point. She also contributes beyond raw scoring numbers, leading the team in steals and A/TO ratio. You tend to look down on her, but the whole picture of her game shows a very productive player.

I agree that she is a good contributor in areas other than scoring, but she had 3 0-point performances before the WVU game, a game in which she was productive on offense.

Don't get me wrong, I hope that she breaks out and has a killer performance the rest of the season. We need for her to score if we are to win a NC. She currently ranks 9th out of 9 players in shooting percentage. Every player on the team shoots a better percentage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom