Baylor Leads the Nation in Scoring Margin, UConn is Eighth | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Baylor Leads the Nation in Scoring Margin, UConn is Eighth

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
ETT - lets talk after you play KSU on the road - should be an easy win, but I doubt the 30 point MOV in Waco.

MOV in blow outs is also a product of how the team approaches the second half - Uconn often works on different types of defense, almost never traps or presses, and stops almost all fast break/transition offense, preferring to work on specific things in their half court sets. A lot of other teams do not make those kinds of 'slow down' changes to offense or defense. I noticed for example in that 100+ point win, Baylor was still jacking up shots with 20 seconds left on the shot clock and still running out in transition whether it was the back of the bench playing or not.

On the same site - Baylor's SOS is still down at #52 while their RPI is at #6. And FYI, the number two team in MOV currently is Maryland with a SOS of #122 and an RPI of #22, followed by SC at #10 and #3, Washington at #40 and #9, Miss St at #40 and #4, and FSU at #11 and #7. Uconn at #7 in scoring margin comes in at #1 in SOS and RPI.

Interesting to note Sagarin has now moved Baylor into the #1 position above Uconn at #2 - rather odd and based on MOV only it appears since the only value that has Baylor #1 is the 'predictor' that is purely points based - recent, golden mean, SOS all still have Uconn #1. I have been noticing some really strange things in the Sagarin rankings this year - Michigan he has listed at #14 at 13-4 with the best win being Gonzaga (35) and losses to Xavier (133), Ohio St (15), UCLA (13) and FSU (7) and an SOS of 115.

Massey's still has Uconn firmly at #1.

I'm not saying that UCONN is not #1. That has been proven. I just don't get why the fan base of a team that has won 11 championships needs to take pot shots other programs.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Sort of reminds me of the mythical Strength Of Schedule Championship that some fans used to go on and on about years ago. No need to take pot shots at other teams, but also nothing wrong with pointing out that UCONN has already faced Murder's Row, while other teams have enjoyed an "unhealthy" number of cupcakes so far this season.

I honestly don't care one whit if other teams have better numbers in ANY respect (MOV, offense, defense, etc etc). The most important set of games will be for the team who wins the last 6 games of the year - and hopefully that's us!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Sort of reminds me of the mythical Strength Of Schedule Championship that some fans used to go on and on about years ago. No need to take pot shots at other teams, but also nothing wrong with pointing out that UCONN has already faced Murder's Row, while other teams have enjoyed an "unhealthy" number of cupcakes so far this season.

I honestly don't care one whit if other teams have better numbers in ANY respect (MOV, offense, defense, etc etc). The most important set of games will be for the team who wins the last 6 games of the year - and hopefully that's us!

I couldn't agree more. When it gets right down to it team stats don't matter one hoot because it all depends on who you have played. The only stat that I care about is that Baylor still has only 1 loss at the end of the season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For the sake of clarity, exactly how high is that hill and what kind of beans are we talking about?:rolleyes:
Mr-Bean-all-episodes.jpg

Pretty high. The trick is getting them all to stay in one place.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not saying that UCONN is not #1. That has been proven. I just don't get why the fan base of a team that has won 11 championships needs to take pot shots other programs.

I can't speak to any potshots and there can be no doubt that Baylor has a really impressive roster.............perhaps better the UConn's when taken in it's entirety..........but like they say in Missouri........... Baylor will have to "Show me" that they are as good or better then UConn..............hopefully they will get another chance in March....................

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
True that the final win is all that matters for 4 teams this season - SC, Baylor, Uconn, and ND - the other teams still have earlier goals like regular season and conference championships at the forefront of their to do list, those four will be surprised if they don't achieve those goals as their 'right'!

And the reality is that except for the Uconn/SC game there isn't likely to be much suspense for those four teams - they are all capable of throwing a wobble along the way, but none really expect to - they should generally be favored in every game by 10+ points home and away. And really knowing how 'good' they are will be hard to determine because they should not be serious challenged - even should any lose a game, it will be because they screwed up and played a sub-par game, not because a comparable team beat them.

Reaction Score
I have said before that I don't use stats to make a statement about how good Baylor is. I suspect that after UCONN goes through a conference that is more suited for the JV league that UCONN can lead the league in scoring margin and everyone can start bragging about it as if it is some sort of accomplishment to beat you conference foes by an average of 50 points.

But I can tell you this, that when Baylor empties the bench they are still better than their opponents. Through four conference games Baylor is winning by an average of 37 points, including a bench emptying game 30 point win against KSU, a team that UCONN beat by only 17 points and had to play the starters all but 19 minutes to do so.

Enjoy taking shots at Baylor. That only tells me that there is some worry about how much better they have gotten as the year as progressed and what sort of challenge they will pose.

You bring up some good points ETT. However let me explain how this UCONN fan feels. First, Baylor is a very good team who can actually win the championship this year. They are loaded with height, skill and depth. So no knocking Baylor on my end. Second, when comparing victories against K-States, keep in mind that even though UCONN beat the Wildcats "by only 17" meant that they struggled (you didn't say that). Actually they were up by 17 in the first quarter and kinda coasted coming off an emotional game at ND and having finals and fatigue and a short bench. I'm not sure the comparisons of the scores mean anything as we all know that stats are sometimes useless. Like I said Baylor is a very good team and won't be surprised to see them/y'all ;) again in a couple of months :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Enjoy taking shots at Baylor. That only tells me that there is some worry about how much better they have gotten as the year as progressed and what sort of challenge they will pose.
Nah,... ain't nothing new, we were taking shots at Baylor last year for ducking UCONN& missing the FF.
So no knocking Baylor on my end.
If your not knocking Baylor you are doing it wrong!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You bring up some good points ETT. However let me explain how this UCONN fan feels. First, Baylor is a very good team who can actually win the championship this year. They are loaded with height, skill and depth. So no knocking Baylor on my end. Second, when comparing victories against K-States, keep in mind that even though UCONN beat the Wildcats "by only 17" meant that they struggled (you didn't say that). Actually they were up by 17 in the first quarter and kinda coasted coming off an emotional game at ND and having finals and fatigue and a short bench. I'm not sure the comparisons of the scores mean anything as we all know that stats are sometimes useless. Like I said Baylor is a very good team and won't be surprised to see them/y'all ;) again in a couple of months :)

You must have missed this...UCONN teams don't "coast." They give 100% effort all the time.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
easttexastrash

You do realize you are on a UConn discussion board, right?. If you are expecting an unbiased discussion you're in the wrong place. You probably find less bias on a political discussion board.

That said, there are boundaries. When I saw your complaint about "taking shots at Baylor" I looked up thread to find out who was taking shots. I didn't find anything of substance. Do you think I missed something?

Oh wait, I do see something. I see someone accused a conference of being like a "JV league". That's a low blow. Oh, that was you.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
easttexastrash
You do realize you are on a UConn discussion board, right?. If you are expecting an unbiased discussion you're in the wrong place. You probably find less bias on a political discussion board.
That said, there are boundaries. When I saw your complaint about "taking shots at Baylor" I looked up thread to find out who was taking shots. I didn't find anything of substance. Do you think I missed something?
Oh wait, I do see something. I see someone accused a conference of being like a "JV league". That's a low blow. Oh, that was you.
It was me @Phil- I never miss a chance to take a shot at Baylor. Gladly ETT has been around longer than me & thick skinned enough to fire right back.
JV league isn't better than some UCONN fans are calling this conference- it is all good.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Baylor does have 5 of the highest 10 MOVs of the year this year:
1. 108 against Winthrop RPI #322
3. 75 against Houston Baptist #336
5. 71 against Southwestern Louisiana #307
9. 66 against Texas State #242
10. 65 against Mississippi Valley State #226
Average RPI win for the year = 136

Average mov for the above = 77

Uconn ... well the highest RPI they have played is #137 Nebraska average RPI win = 47 and the highest RPI team they will play is Memphis at 206

Adding in Baylor's wins against #180 Kent State and #153 Abilene Christian and conference mates #146 TCU, #117 Kansas, and #99 Iowa state (6 total games) and Uconn will find it impossible to match that weakness even in their 'JV league' - with only 8 games against 99+ RPI teams and only that single Memphis game above 200 RPI.

FYI - thank goodness for the shortened conference schedule - we only play #206 Memphis, #176 Cinci, #161 Houston, and #127 UCF once this year!

Reaction Score
Second only to the summer doldrums, we now have the Jan-Feb gap in which UConn fans are bored out of their mind waiting for the tournament. If these kinds of pissing contests are coming up on January 9th, I can only shudder at what it will be like in a month.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
ETT -

Stats, charts and graphs are all well and good. They are all good for forum fodder like this one.

Bottom line - Baylor is a very good team and will improve. UConn is a very good team and will improve. If the two meet again, it will be decided on the court - were it should be.

But we all know that path to the final four is filled with potholes that can derail any team, including UConn and Baylor.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
You must have missed this...UCONN teams don't "coast." They give 100% effort all the time.
The boards are good for discussions and your subsequent dialogues have been fairly even and logical. Where you erred was claiming a "shot" was taken at Baylor due to some of the terrible teams you have played (of which there have been too many). No one took a shot at you by pointing out these teams rankings. Be honest and admit you have played some pretty poor competition and don't be defensive when it is pointed out. Baylor is an awesome team and has improved quite a bit since that game against UConn. I look forward to playing in the Finals as that would be the most fitting ending.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
ETT is still salty cause UConn kicked Baylor a**. He thought they was gonna be able to boast and brag... and Dangerfield threw a monkey wrench in his whole plan!

MOV this... and this too!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And with tonight's win, UConn jumps up to 4th place.
It was UConn's largest MOV over a ranked team, so we made an additional piece of history tonight. I'm not sure if it was the prior record, but we obliterated #15 Mississippi State by 60 (98-38) in the Regionals last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom