Bay Area to Vancouver recs? | The Boneyard

Bay Area to Vancouver recs?

Reaction Score
Other than Redwoods, some shoreline, maybe Williamette valley, thanks for helpful suggestions.

Visiting coupla days each with SF, Seattle & Vancouver friends & mostly done local touristy stuff along with previously visiting CA wineries, Tahoe and Victoria BC, so focus is on OTHER areas.

Separate topic: Anyone know much about Sequim, WA?

TIA

@nadav @CAHUSKY

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If you're going in early July, you can get a relatively cheap flight from Vancouver to Calgary and visit the Calgary Stampede. It's more Heartland Americana than anyplace I can think of in the US. Watching the chuckwagon races, you'll think it's the greatest thing since Ben-Hur! The whole scene is goofy as shiat, but thoroughly enjoyable.

Sorry, not a part of NA I've spent a ton of time in besides Sonoma/Napa and downtown Seattle, so that's the most worthwhile travel tip I can contribute.

Reaction Score
If you're going in early July, you can get a relatively cheap flight from Vancouver to Calgary and visit the Calgary Stampede.
Calgary Stampede is on the bucket list, but will be part of an entirely separate future trip with visit to Banff friends and side trip off of the Rocky Mountaineer and cross-Canadian train lines. Plus, there's way more than enough to see/do from SF to BC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Vancouver.....

Capilano Suspension Bridge Park is a must. A must. If you don't go, I will punch you in your head.

If you're active....

Rent bikes and ride around Stanley Park.

Go to Grouse Mountain. If you're really active, climb up via the Grouse Grind.

In the city, go to One Canada Place. Do the Fly Over Canada ride. Visit the Olympic Torch a few blocks away. Both are nice during the day or at night. Take a sea plane tour.

Honestly, I don't care what you do, but if you don't go to the suspension bridge park, again, you get punched in your head.

Reaction Score
Vancouver..... Capilano Suspension Bridge Park is a must. A must. If you don't go, I will punch you in your head. Honestly, I don't care what you do, but if you don't go to the suspension bridge park, again, you get punched in your head.
Thanks for the helpful input; enough to placate initial spousal questions. Vancouver friends will likely drag my arse on some hikes and ensure no long distance head punch, but no Ichthy-throat punch threat is massively disappointing.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Separate topic: Anyone know much about Sequim, WA?

I've spent a bit of time there. I haven't attended it but they have a Lavender Festival that's kind of a big to do (coming up next weekend).

Dungeness Spit a bit outside of town is fairly interesting. A 5+ mile (and growing) narrow strip of sand jutting out into the Straight of Juan de Fuca. There's a lighthouse near the far end, manned by volunteers. Good viewing opportunities for many kinds of birds and some aquatic mammals.

Pt. Angeles is about 20 minutes away and quite a bit bigger.

I'm not sure that there's really much to do in Sequim, but if you're already in the area there's quite a bit of cool stuff to see on the Olympic Peninsula. If you make it to Pt. Angeles, you can head south and drive up to Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park. Some short trails in the area w/ good views into the interior of the range and out to the Straight. Not sure about current snow level but stuff is melting fast generally in the mountains and we're ahead of schedule.

Keep going further west for multiple options. Lake Crescent is right along Hwy 101 and it's gorgeous. Toward the west end of the lake is a turnoff to the south to another part of Olympic NP, the Sol Duc Valley. There's a developed hot springs up there, also a short trail to impressive Sol Duc Falls.

And then of course there's the Pacific Ocean. Various access points.

The Hoh River Valley is fairly famous. A true rainforest.

Pt. Townsend to the east of Sequim is an interesting small town. Lots of vintage Victorian style homes. There's probably an official map/self guided tour available I would guess. Several antique shops in town. Just outside the town is an old military base that is now a State Park--Ft. Worden. Some of the movie "An Officer and a Gentleman" was filmed there. There are barracks, bunkers, forest, beaches, neat place to kick around. There are also several music festivals during the summer at Ft. Worden--fiddle tunes, jazz, blues, classical. And a series of free classical concerts inside a barn in nearby Quilcene (you can sit inside or bring a blanket and chill outside on the lawn).

Oh, another thing in Sequim I've never visited is Olympic Game Farm. Drive thru area w/ several large mammals, a petting area w/ smaller critters.

Reaction Score
I've spent a bit of time there (Sequim).
Sent a PM. Thanks for replying.

Sequim/Port Townsend: The Duke's NW port town, only 16" annual rain, relative convenient access to Seattle/Vancouver friends and airports with shorter direct Asian flights, laid back (boring in some eyes), etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom